NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - Part X - [The Final Countdown]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sanderson isnt as dynamic in any situation on the ice. He is the bigger, stronger player and might have more straight line speed but he isnt better at breaking out.
He’s the best at getting the puck from the defensive and neutral zone into the offensive zone controlled since the stat began being tracked 5 years ago by Mitch Brown, he’s the best at transition in that time frame.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Preference in order:

Columbus - would be great alongside Dubois, they deserve it after losing Panarin+Bobrovsky
Minnesota - would be lame but wouldn't piss me off
Vancouver - deserve some karma after dropping in every lottery since 2016, horrible fanbase though
Nashville - they are clearly a playoff team and shouldn't have a chance, but great fanbase
(huge gap)
Florida - hate to condemn any prospect to that wasteland
Arizona - would hate to see Chayka bailed out of his horrible Hall trade
Calgary - already have two top line LWers
NY Rangers - already lucked into Kakko + they get talents like Panarin/Fox for free every year
Chicago - already lucked into Dach last year and won Kane via lottery in 07
(huge gap)
Pittsburgh - would highlight the absurdity of this lottery system, but would mean more cups for them
Edmonton - would be 5 1st overall picks in 11 years
NY Islanders - would mean we lose out on a top 15 pick, still not worst case scenario though
Montreal - their fans deserve nothing good
Toronto - the worst case of all worse case scenarios
I would actually love to see the NYI get the #1 pick, that means the pick would defer to next season and we could see another San Jose like situation.
I’m just not a believer in the Islanders to be completely honest and can see them falling off next season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sanderson isnt as dynamic in any situation on the ice. He is the bigger, stronger player, more physical and harder to play against while having better straight line speed but he isnt better at breaking out.
Perhaps not but he is absolutely better at getting the puck from the opposition to give himself the opportunity to break the puck out in the first place.

And while he isn't as dynamic, i do find him incredibly efficient.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
He’s the best at getting the puck from the defensive and neutral zone into the offensive zone controlled since the stat began being tracked 5 years ago by Mitch Brown, he’s the best at transition in that time frame.
Mitch Brown only tracks that data set from the CHL and USNDP. He was ranked fifth in zone entries and first among transition defence breaking up plays around half of the time. That’s for this draft class only I believe, unless he compared them to the previous drafts.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Would you take him ahead of Drysdale?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Mitch Brown only tracks that data set from the CHL and USNDP. He was ranked fifth in zone entries and first among transition defence breaking up plays around half of the time. That’s for this draft class only I believe, unless he compared them to the previous drafts.
He’s the best in transition over the entirety of the data tracking, no clue if the other is this year or all time. Like you said, he is the best in the draft by a lot at breaking up other teams zone entries, which certainly leads to his high transitional numbers of being able to get the puck from the neutral and defensive zone into the offensive zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: JungleBeat

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I would actually love to see the NYI get the #1 pick, that means the pick would defer to next season and we could see another San Jose like situation.
I’m just not a believer in the Islanders to be completely honest and can see them falling off next season.

It's too early to say with complete certainty, but it looks like the 13th pick in this draft is probably equivalent to a 5-10 pick in a lesser draft, which is what 2021 is shaping up to be.

I think it's more likely if deferred the Isles pick ends up closer to the 20-30 range than 5-10 next year.

OUTHOUSE

Feb 16, 2008
99 Rideau
Has anyone bought the Hockey Prospects Black Book PDF? I’m wondering if I should pull the trigger considering this is as good of a year as any to purchase that type of content.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There’s quite a bit of video out there now. I mean he’s definitely the least exciting guy in the top 10.

I’m just not sure how much he’s benefitting from a relatively weak D class here.
Ryan Suter is one of the lest exciting D in the league, that doesn't stop him from being one of the best D of the past decade

Exciting doesn't equal good, and the D pool isn't helping any of the other D hop into a top 15 spot

If its a weak pool, teams will rank and draft forwards. I don't think it's a weak pool, there are two top pairing D prospects, then a drop off.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ryan Suter is one of the lest exciting D in the league, that doesn't stop him from being one of the best D of the past decade

Exciting doesn't equal good, and the D pool isn't helping any of the other D hop into a top 15 spot
Sure great guarantee he’s suter and I’m in. But suter was drafted in a different time when was the last time a defenseman like suter was drafted 5th overal and the fans loved it?
I’m not debating if Sanderson will be good. I’m saying I can understand why people would not be stoked to select Sanderson fifth. Myself included lol.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

upload_2020-6-27_20-50-15-png.351660

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sure great guarantee he’s suter and I’m in. But suter was drafted in a different time when was the last time a defenseman like suter was drafted 5th overal and the fans loved it?
I’m not debating if Sanderson will be good. I’m saying I can understand why people would not be stoked to select Sanderson fifth. Myself included lol.

Sieder last year? Though I guess those fans were upset then as well, until they watched him play the year after and realised their scouts probably knew what they were doing/

Heiskanen in 2017?

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Sieder last year? Though I guess those fans were upset then as well, until they watched him play the year after and realised their scouts probably knew what they were doing/

Heiskanen in 2017?
Heiskanen flashed a lot more electricity than either.

Seider I see. But like you said. At the time it was meh don’t the fans I didn’t think he was great at the wjc but that’s just me. Remains to be seen. But again. No fans will be happy with that type. Or at least that perceived type.

I just think generally taking these types that high. They’ll never meet your expectations. I mean a steady guy at 5th overal whole picks after him we electric talents? It’s tough to rationalize in a fans mind.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Interesting. It is very strange that his skating isn’t great given his build. I’m sure he can improve it though.
But if there’s one team that doesn’t like him I would say Sens are one.
Not many say his skating is an issue.. I certainly think its fine. Its all good imo. He needs to get stronger like a bunch of them and he is not NHL ready so still developing .. he needs ice time this year though.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Some discussion from some of these internet scout "service" guys
Yeah, that's where you see the discrepancy of say a seasoned scout and someone who needs to look to find something because advanced stats is telling him something else.

That's something I hope never happens with our scouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad