NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lundell has a Kopitar feel at the draft, sliding a bit because no exceptional skill set that woes scouts, just solid all over the ice, smart, big. My kinda player

Kopitar only fell because he wasn’t from “a hockey nation” or whatever words were used to describe his Slovenian roots.

He was disgustingly talented and considered as such.

EDIT: BT beat me to it

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Kopitar fell because he was from Slovenia, and Lundell isn’t falling, he’s being ranked lower and lower as the year goes on. Kopitar fell at the draft, where he was actually rated 5th. Not similar regarding their slides, one was for play throughout a full season, the other from external factors on draft day.

right, being able to get a top line 2 way C at #10 would be awesome for Ottawa. Lundell in my estimate is the second best C available, to get him outside of the top 5 is a steal

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Looking at the players in the projected range of our top 2 picks, the only player I would be disappointed with is Sanderson.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Anyone else getting Quinn Hughes vibes from Rossi?

Everyone and their mothers new Hughes was extremely gifted(top 3 calibre) but his height made him drop. I think Rossi has best IQ in the draft (maybe Laf ahead) and spectacular playmaking and vision and such. Is it enough tho for him to be a star the way Hughes has become? Ofc the biggest difference is Hughes is considered world class skater and Rossi isn’t. If Rossi can have Brayden Point like learning curve (just for skating) he’ll be the steal of the draft, even as a top 5 pick
No because he cant skate like him. He cant skate like Point either. Thats why he isnt ranked higher. If he had elite speed he would be in the conversation for number 2/3. He simply doesnt.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Lundell has a Kopitar feel at the draft, sliding a bit because no exceptional skill set that woes scouts, just solid all over the ice, smart, big. My kinda player
I don't think Lundell will fall that much. His upside is what is a concern. He is a smart 2 way player.. IMO the Sens need to shoot for more offensive upside ... top 6 would be too high to draft Lundell.

Reactions: DJB and Ed Wood

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Looking at the players in the projected range of our top 2 picks, the only player I would be disappointed with is Sanderson.

Depending on who we get with the first pick I could live with it.

There is a lot to be said for a well balanced d-core and Sanderson would do a lot in that regard.

Laff/Byfield/Stuztle + Sanderson + Lapierre/Jarvis/Amirov/Reichel would be a great draft.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Larry will post this, if he hasn't already on the prospects board. He will most probably answer your questions. IMO Barron is that high for a couple of reasons.,.. 1) he entered the year as a top 15 pick. 2 He had blood clot issues and missed a lot of the season 3 He is a two way RD with good size and mobility 4 There is not very much separating him from Schneider or Guhle... sort of pick your poison.. I personally would have no issues with Barron where he has him ranked
Jurmo and Wallinder have good upside , good size, very good mobility and they are swings for upside. Raw but have potential. IMO they have better upside as 2 way D than Guhle or Schneider but those two are a little safer to play in your bottom pair and bring more physicality .

A season further cut shorter by COVID-19 pandemic. Barron is one of those top-20 to 40 guys (late 1st/early 2nd), but there are 20 of those guys in the top-40 With limited viewing, I don't know if it's worth a huge risk for an organization to pick him over others in the top-31 they have already seen enough of, COVID-19 relatively speaking.

Personally, I also have Jurmo and Wallinder just outside of top-31. I see Guhle and Schneider's games transferring over to the pro's. Their ceilings appear comparable, but if they hit it I see the value in picking 2-way guys (harder to transition over from the juniors to the NHL..usually end up with Mike O'Reilly types before fizzling out like a Wiercioch and many others who names we can't remember).

Sanderson gives me Jared Cowen vibe. At least that guy had some Memorial Cup jam, Sandy somehow climbed up without any games being played since he came out of nowhere in multiple lists, late viewing of tapes or otherwise. When the game was being played, he didn't make top-10 noise, not even close.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don't think Lundell will fall that much. His upside is what is a concern. He is a smart 2 way player.. IMO the Sens need to shoot for more offensive upside ... top 6 would be too high to draft Lundell.

If you’re getting a top 2 C - (maybe in the mould of Jordan Stall / Patrick Sharpe) who might not
Put up huge numbers but can play vs Matthews, Eichel, Stamkos then I’d take that all day long

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
A season further cut shorter by COVID-19 pandemic. Barron is one of those top-20 to 40 guys (late 1st/early 2nd), but there are 20 of those guys in the top-40 With limited viewing, I don't know if it's worth a huge risk for an organization to pick him over others in the top-31 they have already seen enough of, COVID-19 relatively speaking.

Personally, I also have Jurmo and Wallinder just outside of top-31. I see Guhle and Schneider's games transferring over to the pro's. Their ceilings appear comparable, but if they hit it I see the value in picking 2-way guys (harder to transition over from the juniors to the NHL..as end up with Mike O'Reilly types before fizzling out like a Wiercioch and many others who names we can't remember).

Sanderson gives me Jared Cowen vibe. At least that guy had some Memorial Cup jam, Sandy somehow climbed up without any games being played since he came out of nowhere in multiple lists, late viewing of tapes or otherwise. When the game was being played, he didn't make top-10 noise, not even close.
Cowan had zero hockey IQ and a knee issue and was a consensus top 3 pick prior to his injury, Sandersons hockey IQ is a plus and his skating is a huge asset and he has been a riser all season long. He’s been in teams top 10 lists since the beginning of 2020, regardless of him being on independent internet lists.

There is little/no similarities between Cowen and Sanderson.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Cowan had zero hockey IQ and a knee issue, Sandersons hockey IQ is a plus and his skating is a huge asset, he’s been in teams top 10 lists since the beginning of 2020, regardless of him being on independent internet lists.

Where would you list him in your top-10? Who would you bump to pick him?

And I was really talking about him climbing up like a ghost relative to the noise he made prior to COVID stoppage. Certainly he is a better calibre player than Cowen, but overrated just like IQ-less Cowen who had all the great tools (knee issues aside) but wasn't worth top-10 even at the time.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
There is a lot to love about Rossi's game. I definitely think there's a possible trajectory where he ends up in the mould of Alfredsson. We all knew Alfie was not 5'11" but it didn't matter because of his great lower body strength.

The only thing that worries me was the stat showing how disproportionately his production came against bad teams.
He takes pride in his defensive game and was matched against the other teams top centre.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No because he cant skate like him. He cant skate like Point either. Thats why he isnt ranked higher. If he had elite speed he would be in the conversation for number 2/3. He simply doesnt.
He has elite quickness and agility, his top end speed is average. I don’t think it hurts him as he will be a PP points monster. I don’t foresee Rossi doing his damage off the rush, I think he will play like a mini Joe Thornton, put him between Tkachuk and a guy like Lucas Raymond and he will put up numbers.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I’d have him ~6-8.

Laf
Byf
Stutzle
Perfetti
Raymond

Then
Sanderson
Drysdale
Rossi
Holtz

In a tier

Did you list by Sens' need or is that your ranking of the top-9 players? I found the bolded curious.

Mine looks like the following:

1. Laf

2. Byf
3. Stutzle
4. Raymond

5. Rossi (he may be top-3 in some GMs eyes)
6. Drysdale
7. Holtz
8. Perfetti
9. Askarov
10. Lundell (safe top-10 two-way C)

I lump Sanderson with others in the next tier. His ranking doesn't change since we have had no further games to watch and assess if indeed the updated rankings have merit. Will be curious to see how Bob McKenzie's list have him and the justification. Otherwise, Sanderson may as well become a top-2 NHL defender in the future, but I have to really justify NOT taking any of my other top 10 guys prior to selecting Sanderson today.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Did you list by Sens' need or is that your ranking of the top-9 players? I found the bolded curious.

Mine looks like the following:

1. Laf

2. Byf
3. Stutzle
4. Raymond

5. Rossi (he may be top-3 in some GMs eyes)
6. Drysdale
7. Holtz
8. Perfetti
9. Askarov
10. Lundell (safe top-10 two-way C)

I lump Sanderson others in the next tier.
My rankings, if it was Sens need I don’t think there would be a Lundell or Askarov in the top 10, and I think Sanderson would probably be ranked up.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
My rankings, if it was Sens need I don’t think there would be a Lundell or Askarov in the top 10, and I think Sanderson would probably be ranked up.

Makes sense. Did your top-10 always look like that or did you update recently? Mine is mixed - for example I did swap positions for Drysdale and Rossi based not only on more viewings and draft list noise - but I might have subconsciously accounted for Sens' need in case they have the 5th overall and Rossi is available. Drysdale question marks and positioning as the de facto number 1 defenceman available (although he is in my rankings) may also have played a part.

I am curious if something like that hasn't happened with Sanderson's recent rise. I found it a bit sudden and the outcome feels like a domino effect.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Do you guys think that this draft could speed up our rebuild a bit depending on who we draft?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Do you guys think that this draft could speed up our rebuild a bit depending on who we draft?

Absolutely if you mean equip our team for the future. This is the recruitment phase and after next year's draft this team will have enough resources to develop these players, the next phase. As part of development, they also need to inject quality veterans if they really want to accelerate the process as a lot of the younger players will have graduated to their NHL roles. With the core built as part of the rebuild, the team ownership will then need to sign its quality players long-term to complete the rebuild to F.Y.O.U.S.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Nope not at all, not unless they draft Laf then package the picks for someone ready now. Given the sens ownership situation id rather they take the long route as to hope new ownership that is commited to winning will be here and willing to spend the money necessary to build a winner.

Cowan had zero hockey IQ and a knee issue and was a consensus top 3 pick prior to his injury, Sandersons hockey IQ is a plus and his skating is a huge asset and he has been a riser all season long. He’s been in teams top 10 lists since the beginning of 2020, regardless of him being on independent internet lists.

There is little/no similarities between Cowen and Sanderson.
Exactly, but there is no situation that the sens should consider taking Sanderson over Drysdale. Sanderson just isnt slotted in where the sens are gonna pick unless the Islanders pick moves to 13, 14, 15 then they could potentially take him.
He has elite quickness and agility, his top end speed is average. I don’t think it hurts him as he will be a PP points monster. I don’t foresee Rossi doing his damage off the rush, I think he will play like a mini Joe Thornton, put him between Tkachuk and a guy like Lucas Raymond and he will put up numbers.
I wouldnt say his quickness is elite either, he doesnt win races short or long. I will agree his edgework is terrific. I could also see him being successful in a scenario like you described. However over a 7 game playoffs series I dont think he sens will win the first line centerman battle if he is the number 1.

If the sens are trying to pick a team to win next year Rossi is one of the best players from this draft right now. In 5 years from now I dont know how much better he is going to get. If he ends up on the sens i think the only way that happens is if they have a worst case scenario when it comes to the draft lottery.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Nope not at all, not unless they draft Laf then package the picks for someone ready now. Given the sens ownership situation id rather they take the long route as to hope new ownership that is commited to winning will be here and willing to spend the money necessary to build a winner.

Exactly, but there is no situation that the sens should consider taking Sanderson over Drysdale. Sanderson just isnt slotted in where the sens are gonna pick unless the Islanders pick moves to 13, 14, 15 then they could potentially take him.

I wouldnt say his quickness is elite either, he doesnt win races short or long. I will agree his edgework is terrific. I could also see him being successful in a scenario like you described. However over a 7 game playoffs series I dont think he sens will win the first line centerman battle if he is the number 1.

If the sens are trying to pick a team to win next year Rossi is one of the best players from this draft right now. In 5 years from now I dont know how much better he is going to get. If he ends up on the sens i think the only way that happens is if they have a worst case scenario when it comes to the draft lottery.
I think it’s very, very unlikely Sanderson isn’t picked in the top 10.

I want to go 2 forwards with our pick, for sure, but if we were to go D I’d want it to be Sanderson.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Just read an article in the tva sports and said Sanderson can be the best player in this draft in five years his coach said. He is the Heiskanen of American

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think it’s very, very unlikely Sanderson isn’t picked in the top 10.

I want to go 2 forwards with our pick, for sure, but if we were to go D I’d want it to be Sanderson.
Drysdale is a better prospect. If the sens pick Sanderson over him I will be completely floored and shocked. Thats not to say Sanderson isnt a good prospect he really is and likely worth of a selection at the end of the top 10 but he isnt at the same level as Drysdale. Drysdale is the best OHL d prospect since Doughty. I personally have him tied with Stutzle as the 3rd best prospect in this draft, he controls the pace of the game at 17 you just dont see that.

I dont think its likley Sanderson would be there 13 through 15 but he could be. This is my top 10, the bottom 3 are very much interchangable they are all about the same level of prospect in my mind. I think there is a very good chance Lundell or Askarov are taken in the top 10 too. I believe there is a top 12 in high end prospects this year.

Lafreniere
Byfield
Stutzle
Drysdale
Raymond
Holtz
Sanderson
Quinn
Perfetti
Rossi
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: aragorn

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
With the 4th and 5th overall at draftsim:

(4) Lucas Raymond, RW/LW
(5) Marco Rossi, C
(21) Dylan Holloway, C
(33) John-Jason Peterka, RW
(49) Shakir Mukhamadullin, LD
(52) Helge Grans, D
(55) Daniel Torgersson, LW/RW
(64) Michael Benning, RD
(74) Luke Tuch, LW
(95) Jack Finley, C
(152) Grant Slukynsky, C
(158) Blake Biondi, C
(185) Artur Akhtyamov, G

Lacks shutdown abilities, D selections are a bit of homerun swings. Had to take Akhtyamov when he was still available at 185. Not sure why I picked him tbh lol.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Here is a highlight clip of Peterson for reference purposes.

He looks like he has some raw upside but I see your point about comparing him against other forwards with size likely to go within a similar draft range. Assuming that we are just looking at the 2nd to 3rd round other than Peterson (C 6'4 192 lbs) here are some of the forwards that could go in that range:
Jaromir Pytlik C 6'3 201 lbs, Will Cuylle LW 6'2 201 lbs, Jack Finley C 6'5 205 lbs, Yegor Sokolov RW/LW 6'4 240 lbs, Brandon Coe RW 6'3 185 lbs, Daniel Torgersson LW/RW 6'3 205 lbs, Bogdan Trineyev F 6'3 176 lbs, Roby Jarventie LW 6'2 185 lbs, Sam Colangelo RW 6'2 205 lbs, Maxim Beryozkin LW/RW 6'2 201 lbs, Luke Tuch LW 6'2 203 lbs, Maxim Groshev RW/LW 6'2 194 lbs

Some of them may fall to the 4th round or so but it is a decent group to compare Peterson with. Cuylle is the most physically imposing of that group and he has decent skill so he could be a good pick. Tuch plays similar to his brother but doesn't have the same offensive upside. Pytlik is a really solid 200 foot player and may have some untapped offensive ability. Groshev and Beroyzkin are both solid players and there are elements in their games that draw some comparison with Mark Stone. Sokolov is probably a better target in the 4th round given he is in his final year of draft eligibility but if he can translate his offensive ability to the NHL then he could be a great target. As for the rest I think you offered commentary on all of them.

I like a lot of guys on that list & with 4 picks in the 2nd rd & two in the 3rd Ottawa could end up with a few of those guys, at least I hope so. I like Cuylle a lot & hope they draft him, he could be another Tkachuk lite kind of player & Pytlik could be another interesting player as well.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
There is a lot to love about Rossi's game. I definitely think there's a possible trajectory where he ends up in the mould of Alfredsson. We all knew Alfie was not 5'11" but it didn't matter because of his great lower body strength.

The only thing that worries me was the stat showing how disproportionately his production came against bad teams.

I understand why people see this as a potential red flag, but I also see it as a possible misread of what it says about Rossi as a player. It's not like his production against really strong teams disappeared completely - he was still a top player for his team against stronger competition, he just stuck it to weaker teams that he could score in bunches against when he had the opportunity to do so.

You could look at the production framed by level of competition and just as easily say that Rossi is relentless, keeps pushing regardless of who the opposition is, and doesn't fall into the trap of playing to the level of the other team. Those are good qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad