NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I agree with McCagg is closely connected to the Habs and that may represent the majority of his contacts. He was the head scout at Mckeens for while. And he has had some interesting takes...I remember when he came on Ottawa radio and was totally bullish on Karlsson in 2008:

At the time....that was a wild take..I am sure people easily dismissed as absurd.

McCagg knows that if he throws out wild rankings that he'll get a few right here and there and he can use those as proof of his scouting ability, ignoring all the wild rankings that went badly of course.

I was subscribed to Recrutes in 2018, largely because of how cheap it was, and I remember his rankings that year being all over the place. The guy would bump guys up his list by absurd amounts due to single game performances. Was a big red flag for me.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
my point is i dont care if we are handed increased odds because of the virus. or for whatever other reason. i wont feel guilty if the sens benefit from this new format. i dont care about fair.

It certainly wasn't fair that Matt Cooke sliced Karlsson's Achilles and played it off as some sort of accident.

But that was something that Karlsson and the team had to deal with.

I want other teams to have to deal with us.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Do you have McCagg's 2018 draft preview? Curious to see where he had Tkachuk listed, or his viewpoint on the player. Some of the HF posters here made it feel like they were talking about a 3rd liner when they were describing Tkachuk prior to the draft :shakehead:.

He tweeted his top 10

Reactions: armani

Emerica

May 29, 2010
really excited to hear about the draft, kinda the same feeling you get when the sens are about to trade a star player.
I wouldn’t expect them to announce anything regarding the lottery today tbh.

Edit: I stand corrected.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJB

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
btw on vancouver radio bob mckenzie was spitballing about only having the top pick up for grabs not the top 4. he said it was the logical idea. there has been discussion on the odds apparently.

Reactions: DJB

Bubba Pilks

Jun 21, 2019
Not a religious Man but will be praying over the next 3 hours. Come on Hockey Gods, give us Sens fans some great news.

1-7 lottery only
Playoff teams can only move up 4 spots
Only 1 draw
Montreal has been withdrawn from the playoff, lottery and league.

Anyone of those scenarios and I'm helicopter dicking around my Condo.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Not a religious Man but will be praying over the next 3 hours. Come on Hockey Gods, give us Sens fans some great news.

1-7 lottery only
Playoff teams can only move up 4 spots
Only 1 draw
Montreal has been withdrawn from the playoff, lottery and league.

Anyone of those scenarios and I'm helicopter dicking around my Condo.
bob Mckenzie said there is an possibility of only 1 draw, he's actually in favour of the idea

will try to find the link, but we'll find out real soon anyways.

the reason for having a june lottery is to create buzz for the 7 teams who aren't going to play again until next year most likely. i doubt the nhl will want to screw with them too much by having 3 top picks up for grabs.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I’ve already made up my mind on Raymond and Holtz as Senators. The league gonna make sure we screwed.

I also agree that Byfield hockey sense makes me really worried about him achieving his potential.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Even a one draw would be better than nothing. Obviously a 1 draw or only move up X spots would be the best, but given the odds involved I'd be happy with the best odds of #1. Who knows, maybe we win?

The other thing is the play-in really helps us with NYI's pick. As long as they don't win the lottery, it could end up 4-5 spots higher than normal if they lose. Better than a kick in the nuts.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
bob Mckenzie said there is an possibility of only 1 draw, he's actually in favour of the idea

will try to find the link, but we'll find out real soon anyways.

the reason for having a june lottery is to create buzz for the 7 teams who aren't going to play again until next year most likely. i doubt the nhl will want to screw with them too much by having 3 top picks up for grabs.
I'll take it if it happens.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
btw on vancouver radio bob mckenzie was spitballing about only having the top pick up for grabs not the top 4. he said it was the logical idea. there has been discussion on the odds apparently.

Selfishly, this is better for the Senators, but it would still be a farce that certain teams who should be nowhere near the #1 pick could win it as a result of losing a "play in round".

If there is only 1 spot for grabs, and the odds at the top of the draft lottery are not altered, because we don't move back if Detroit wins the lottery, it means we'd have a 43.5 percent chance of having two picks in the top 3 (1+3 or 2+3), and a 56.5 percent chance of having picks 3+4.

It would be a better situation for Ottawa than a 7 team lottery with 3 spots up for grabs. The only positive to 3 spots being up for grab is that the upside is better for Ottawa since we could get 1 and 2 under that format, where as the best we can do under a one lottery pick format would be 1 and 3.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
the talk about getting screwed is funny, the stop in play couldn't have come at a better time. I doubt we finish with 2 picks in the bottom 3 after a normal 82 game season.
I don't think we'd be getting "screwed", but the current lottery system is completely flawed, and I find it annoying the same bubble teams that voted for a 24-team playoffs are probably the same ones that took the biggest issue with not having a shot at #1 overall.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I’ve already made up my mind on Raymond and Holtz as Senators. The league gonna make sure we screwed.

I also agree that Byfield hockey sense makes me really worried about him achieving his potential.

If screwed is getting Raymond, Holtz and potentially another top 15 pick if the Isles lose their play-in series, I hope we get screwed more often.

Honestly the only situation in which we would have been screwed over is one in which our chances of winning a top 3 pick were lowered from what they were before the virus (eg. 31 teams included in the lottery or some other such nonsense).

We've actually made out like bandits. Play stopped right after we got picks 2+3 (getting us picks 5-6 at worst) and now the play-in series could get us another pick in the 8-15 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->