Not open for further replies.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
giphy.gif

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
To be honest, I mean it's one pro season, but Kotkaniemi doesn't look to be the 5th best pick from the lot either. McCagg had him right the first time.

Kotkaniemi's had 2 pro seasons - one was excellent and one was mediocre. IMO there is a clear top 3 from the draft - Dahlin, Hughes, Svechnikov - and then a bunch of other guys who could feasibly crack that group. Tkachuk is probably at the top of that 2nd group currently, but Kotkaniemi is certainly in it. Still think he has a good shot at being a 1C or a very good 2.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
It wasn’t a strange ranking, listen to McKenzie’s 2018 draft podcast, he said Kotkaniemi has solidly moved into the top 5 conversation and could go high as 3.

I remember having the same reaction when they picked Kotkaniemi at 3, there were simply too many good players left. I was more interested in Zadina and Tkachuk instead and was like who when MB picked him at 3.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
TROLLOLOLOLOL!

Kotkaniemi at 3rd OVR wasn't unreasonable. Looked like a potential #1 center at the U18s and had solid production in his 17YR old season in Finland.

Habs rushing him to the league has stagnated his development, but he could still turn it around. He's not even 20 yet.

But I have no doubt that a large part of why he ranked him 3rd is because his buddy Trevor Timmins was very high on him.

Bubba Pilks

Jun 21, 2019
At this point I’m just preparing myself that we will pick 5th and 6th and the Islanders will win the cup and their first will be 31st. Anything better than that and I’ll be happy.

Lol. Life of a Sens fan.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I remember having the same reaction when they picked Kotkaniemi at 3, there were simply too many good players left. I was more interested in Zadina and Tkachuk instead and was like who when MB picked him at 3.
Don’t know what to tell you, Kotkaniemi was firmly in the top 5 and by far the best Center available, and it was pretty much known the Habs were going to be taking him since the U-18’s.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Kotkaniemi's had 2 pro seasons - one was excellent and one was mediocre. IMO there is a clear top 3 from the draft - Dahlin, Hughes, Svechnikov - and then a bunch of other guys who could feasibly crack that group. Tkachuk is probably at the top of that 2nd group currently, but Kotkaniemi is certainly in it. Still think he has a good shot at being a 1C or a very good 2.

Correct 1 bad season. As for bolded, I wonder if he will be successful in the circus environment and the pressure of playing in Montreal? Wonder if he will be incubated properly. I laugh because MTL left some really good prospects when they picked at #3. He could be the best C prospect available, but he most certainly wasn't the BPA imo.

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
At this point I’m just preparing myself that we will pick 5th and 6th and the Islanders will win the cup and their first will be 31st. Anything better than that and I’ll be happy.

Good way of approaching it.

Had the sens finished the 82 games, they may have played themselves out of the top 3.. same with san jose.

Whether it's a 7 team lottery or 15, we could still be picking 5/6.

The draft is a crap shoot anyways.. **** it nhl, just lay it on us already.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Good way of approaching it.

Had the sens finished the 82 games, they may have played themselves out of the top 3.. same with san jose.

Whether it's a 7 team lottery or 15, we could still be picking 5/6.

The draft is a crap shoot anyways.. **** it nhl, just lay it on us already.

Plus the potential for the Isles pick to go from 21st (if based on point %) to top 15 is a big plus.

Not sure if I'd bet on the Isles beat the Panthers in a 5 game series based on how they finished the year.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Correct 1 bad season. As for bolded, I wonder if he will be successful in the circus environment and the pressure of playing in Montreal? Wonder if he will be incubated properly. I laugh because MTL left some really good prospects when they picked at #3. He could be the best C prospect available, but he most certainly wasn't the BPA imo.

I think the top 3 is quite clearly Dahlin, Svechinkov, Hughes. But after that its too early to say whether or not anyone else from the draft is better than him at 4. He's still super young, super skilled, and super raw.

Reminds me a lot of Mika Ziabnejad and we all know how that turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad