NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Even with a 7 team lottery, you just know Sens are going to still end up drafting 5 and 6. :shakehead

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Even with a 7 team lottery, you just know Sens are going to still end up drafting 5 and 6. :shakehead

So in order for your scenario to happend wed have our picks bumped at minimum three spots, meaning we would have to have three lotteries occuring within the 7 teams, and all three teams that win these lotteries are behind us.

not sure it makes sense to do three lotteries with only seven teams, but regardless the chances of that happening are extremely low.

edit: currently their are three separate lotteries to determine picks 1-3 in first round. The lotteries only include non-playoff teams (16). I would reasonably expect the number of picks chosen via lottery to drop if only 7 teams are involved (since 24 team playoff format) and even may only be one lottery.

Last edited:

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Absolutely. The NHL needs to put its big boy pants on and just go with what they floated out there a week ago, because if they leave it to NHL GMS, *of course* they'll want to have their cake and eat it too, basically rendering the point of a lottery completely mute.

Come on Bettman, you coward, make a decision already.
Wasn’t the word that teams were not happy with Detroit and Ottawa being guaranteed top 4 picks with the lottery format?

Now, I hate to be a sports conspiracy theorist, but is there a division with more influential owners than the Atlantic?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Wasn’t the word that teams were not happy with Detroit and Ottawa being guaranteed top 4 picks with the lottery format?

Now, I hate to be a sports conspiracy theorist, but is there a division with more influential owners than the Atlantic?
It would be impossible for us to have a less influential owner than Eugene.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was looking forward to the relief of knowing the draft order a month ago. This is just torturous.

to be honest, it's probably to the leagues best interest to drag out the decision, keeps them in the news. If we knew that there would be a draft in June, and a 24 team tournament for the cup in say Aug or Sep, we'd pretty much check out at least until the lottery, then check out again until the draft. Keeping us guessing keeps fans engaged to an extent.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
to be honest, it's probably to the leagues best interest to drag out the decision, keeps them in the news. If we knew that there would be a draft in June, and a 24 team tournament for the cup in say Aug or Sep, we'd pretty much check out at least until the lottery, then check out again until the draft. Keeping us guessing keeps fans engaged to an extent.

Do you like stress, fam?

I think there would be farrrrr more talk if they already announced the scheduling and timing. Even if we knew we would finish no less than 3-4, there would be ten different threads on Laf vs By vs Stutzle vs Raymond on the Sens board.

The main board would explode with criticism, anticipation, hypothetical matchups, etc...

If anything this deflects attention. Soccer and other sports have already announced they starting again soon, a lot of my friends have shifted their focus there now.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think the delay is more about desperately trying to fit in a playoffs of some sort beforehand. But, it's pretty much inevitable there won't be any more games until September/October. Might as well just pull the plug now...the virus isn't magically going to disappear in a month. I mean really...24 teams? More teams means more chances of a player catching the virus and the league having to shut down again.

And the draft is supposed to be the last event of the season...it doesn't make sense to have a draft and playoffs afterwards. But if they can't even figure out if the season is done, or if/how to do a playoff...how the heck can they even think of a lotto/draft format?

It's all so stupid...over-complicating something that should be easy.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
If they do the 24 team playoff there should be no lottery.

Sens pick 2 and 3. Your reward for being the 8th worst team in the league is that you actually get into playoffs.

Shhheeeeet. If teams from 17th to 24th in the league want they can opt out of the playoffs and get into the lottery. Let's see some true colours. Now THAT would be must see TV.

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
Why'd they even have to float out the idea of us at worst picking 3+4. Now every other draft scenario seems disappointing as f***.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I mean, of course there is push back, very few teams directly benefit from the only move up 4 spots rule, and the vast majority of the benefit goes to Det and Ottawa.

Teams not in the playoffs should have a shot at 1st OA, the 4 spot rule doesn't allow for that so frankly it's a bad idea, but they were trying to get some playoff teams into the lottery.

Reactions: Senscore and OgieO

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Absolutely. The NHL needs to put its big boy pants on and just go with what they floated out there a week ago, because if they leave it to NHL GMS, *of course* they'll want to have their cake and eat it too, basically rendering the point of a lottery completely mute.

Come on Bettman, you coward, make a decision already.
Bettman works for the teams and will do what the majority want if they are concerned enough about the issue to push back.

If it is not a big issue for the teams, then Gary can run with whatever plan he thinks best.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I mean, of course there is push back, very few teams directly benefit from the only move up 4 spots rule, and the vast majority of the benefit goes to Det and Ottawa.

Teams not in the playoffs should have a shot at 1st OA, the 4 spot rule doesn't allow for that so frankly it's a bad idea, but they were trying to get some playoff teams into the lottery.
Seems like a common sense approach would be to allow allow 7 non-playoff teams a shot at the #1. You'd think they could reallocate the 24.5% chance at winning from the 8 new playoff teams (assuming it really is a 24 team playoff now, which sounds less controversial than the lottery format).

Award 1 lottery winner. Reallocate the 24.5% odds that the teams 8-15 had to the remaining 7 non-playoff teams based on the % the non-playoff teams had of the non-playoff team odds (i.e. Detroit has 18.5% chance to win out of 75.5 remaining odds after eliminating the new playoff teams). You'd get odds to win #1 like this:
Detroit 24.5%
Ottawa 17.9%
San Jose 15.2%
Los Angeles 12.6%
Anaheim 11.3%
New Jersey 9.9%
Buffalo 8.6%
TOTAL 100%

That seems like a fairly equitable way to distribute the lottery %s from the teams now in the playoffs under a 24 team format.

You could argue the #24 team may prefer to not be in the playoffs and have a 8% chance at Lafreniere, but nothing will be perfect and I don't think it is fair for a team to BOTH be in the playoffs and get a crack at #1. I am sure Montreal fans will disagree but they are a whiny bunchy on a good day.

That's as close as the old format as you could get - unless you really want to do the 3 winner format, which seems excessive given only 7 non-playoff teams vs 15 previously. Maybe split the difference and do 2 winners. But I don't think that last part would be a huge sticking point.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Regardless of the draft format, hopefully, the Sens end up at the least with 1 guy in the top 3 & one guy in the 4 to 6 range & that probably includes about 7 or 8 guys depending on how you rank them. If they get 1 & 2 great, if they get 2 & 3 great, but if it turns out they get one guy from the 1, 2 or 3 slot & one guy from 4, 5 or 6th that's not terrible either (depending who they pick, I guess).

The next seven picks are also going to be crucial to fill some holes this team has at the moment which must at some future date turn them not just into a playoff contender, but a SC contender. After the 3rd rd they have four picks to develop some projects or swing for the fences on a guy with potential (Stone & Hoffman). The 2021 draft should also be important for Ottawa with another 5 picks (so far) in the first three rds. That should determine this team's destiny along with their GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad