NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
could be karma for Melnyk annoying bettman for so long, but also what about our karma... the fans.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
In order to ensure the Sens get a top 3 pick, i think we need a human sacrifice. Anyone want to volunteer?
a top 3 pick? no ill take the odds. two top three picks..... I don't know ill take a bullet in non lethal area.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
if the league wnts everyone to be involved. I say everyone gets equal odds at number 1. but that's the only lottery that happens. max someone can move bck is 1 spot. but anyone can get first.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Grans has a serious case to being the second - third dman being drafted.
Rangy, mobile, strong skating with a solid hockey IQ he kinda looks like Methot. Without the physical edge and maybe some more offense. Not a bad pick for the sens at 21.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Rangy, mobile, strong skating with a solid hockey IQ he kinda looks like Methot. Without the physical edge and maybe some more offense. Not a bad pick for the sens at 21.
I see Grans, Wallinder and Jurmo as being raw prospects with upside that have size and mobility and they play a modicum of defence to some degree of success. Where Methot was a D first D man and took pride and had success at that none of these 3 are that. All 3 need lots of reps and coaching . . I like Wallinder and Jurmo for their upside more at this time, I consider them both to be better skaters but I do think they are all projects. NHL CS has Grans ranked the highest of these players.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
if the league wnts everyone to be involved. I say everyone gets equal odds at number 1. but that's the only lottery that happens. max someone can move bck is 1 spot. but anyone can get first.

I would be fine with that, but not at equal odds.

I also think if everybody is involved with the lottery, everybody should be involved with the playoffs. Teams wouldn't get equal odds to win, better teams would get byes, worse teams would have play ins.

I think what will end up happening, is they will do the 24 team playoff seeded by conference point percentage. That way, they get Chicago and New York Rangers in. The 7 bottom teams will be in the lottery with only one team moving up to number 1. Maybe at most, they do 2 lotteries for picks 1+2. I think with only 7 teams, 3 lotteries would be too many.

Reactions: scallionjj11

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It tends to be easier to stand out when you are far and away the best player on your team and rolled out in every situation. Personally I want Laf as priority however getting both Byfield and Stutzle would be a fantastic second choice. Byfield being so young in his draft class is intriguing even though I tend to prefer pure skill.

I can see a situation where a team such as Detroit might want Byfield or Stutzel instead of Lafrenier and might trade the first pick in the draft to the team with the second or third pick if such a team wanted to ensure it got Lafrenier by adding something to the trade, such as a late 1st, 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. There might be a handshake agreement among friends which would be honored if the league did not allow the traded to include guarantees that certain player would not be taken.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Grans has a serious case to being the second - third dman being drafted.

He has impressive production in the junior league in Sweden, but I haven't been at all impressed by him in the games I watched him play in the SHL.

I wouldn't touch him until the 2nd round. There's no case to be made that he's better than Drysdale or Sanderson. Doubt he's the 3rd highest D drafted either, but who knows. Talent pool drops off significantly after the first two guys.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Was too good to be true.

If points percentage dictates the 24 team playoffs (i.e. best 12 from each conf.), then make a draft rule where the bottom-7 teams will have a chance at #1. Draft Lottery odds dictated based on reverse order of standings.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
How do we even know Alexis Lafreniere exists? Has anybody seen him in person. I think the NHL needs to get to the bottom of this before they can decide on the draft lottery rules.

Reactions: Senscore

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
How do we even know Alexis Lafreniere exists? Has anybody seen him in person. I think the NHL needs to get to the bottom of this before they can decide on the draft lottery rules.

Not to be confused with 2020 draft eligible Alex Laferriere. I’ve worry a bit that PD may accidentally draft the wrong player.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
You can't f***ing have it both ways. You cant be for the 24 team playoffs and also want a shot at the lottery? How stupid is that. You can't even do that under the current rules. That's like saying the wild card team that's 15th in the league thats in the playoffs should also have a shot at the lottery. Its an either/or, not both.

Reactions: Upgrayedd and Deku

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Not to be confused with 2020 draft eligible Alex Laferriere. I’ve worry a bit that PD may accidentally draft the wrong player.

Ever since they announced a digital draft, I've been irrationally concerned about that exact same thing.

Reactions: Sweatred

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
You can't f***ing have it both ways. You cant be for the 24 team playoffs and also want a shot at the lottery? How stupid is that. You can't even do that under the current rules. That's like saying the wild card team that's 15th in the league thats in the playoffs should also have a shot at the lottery. Its an either/or, not both.

Absolutely. The NHL needs to put its big boy pants on and just go with what they floated out there a week ago, because if they leave it to NHL GMS, *of course* they'll want to have their cake and eat it too, basically rendering the point of a lottery completely mute.

Come on Bettman, you coward, make a decision already.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Well I'm hoping a decision is taking time just because they want to confirm the 24-team playoff format first as a way to justify a 7-team lottery, but maybe we're just setting ourselves up for more disappointment here.

Reactions: Deku

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Maybe the best thing to do if they have a 24 team playoff and a June draft is have a weighted lottery for the top pick among the 7 teams not in the playoffs and then another weighted lottery for the picks from 8 on with the playoff teams.

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Well I'm hoping a decision is taking time just because they want to confirm the 24-team playoff format first as a way to justify a 7-team lottery, but maybe we're just setting ourselves up for more disappointment here.

I think we're setting ourselves up for disappointment. The NHL toyed with the idea of changing the draft process, but I think it was met with harsh criticism by almost every team. The NHL keeps stating that they do not want to rush nor do they want to make the wrong decision.

I also fully expect the lottery system to stay status quo, Senators to pick 5th and 6th (missing out on elite players), and then have the league fully change the way the draft lottery works next year. :help:

Reactions: Upgrayedd

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If they allow 24 teams into the playoffs, I expect 7 teams in a lottery.

We can quibble over percentages and how much a team can move up, but I draw the line at "having your cake and eating it too"

I thought a return to the "old" system of moving up 4 spots was a bit extreme. I kinda don't like the idea of multiple winners either. Especially when there might be only 7 teams in the lottery.

Reactions: NB613
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad