NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
After all the dithering this week, wouldn't be surprised to see the NHL "suddenly" confirm a June draft in order to distract from Leipsic-gate.

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
June draft will happen. I'm afraid that they'll have the lottery open to teams that are eligible for playoffs though. Odds are that ottawa picks 5 and 6 in this circumstance :ha:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
June draft will happen. I'm afraid that they'll have the lottery open to teams that are eligible for playoffs though. Odds are that ottawa picks 5 and 6 in this circumstance :ha:

I can't see them opening it up to playoff teams without limiting it pretty heavily. It just doesn't make sense and the CBA is pretty specific that playoff teams don't participate in the lottery. They'll need a lot of consensus among the BOG and the NHLPA to go against the CBA.

The league absolutely won't want to see a playoff team winning 1st OA, little lone the SC winners.

If the issue is just Ottawa and Det being guaranteed a top 3 pick, all they need to do is lottory all 3 top picks as per usual, and still keep the only move up 4 spots max rule. That way a playoff team won't win the top pick, likely won't get a top 3 pick, but still gets to participate in the draft.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
The move up four slots is a sticking point I'd think for the outliers. GM's won't care about anything but getting the best process for themselves. Take the non-playoff teams and put in the 4 slot rule. Next question is one, two or three balls picked.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
I hope we select Alexander Pashin with one of our second-round picks. He is a player that will fall due to factors outside of his on-ice play. Based on Byron Bader's model, he is roughly the 12th best forward in the draft. With 7 picks in the first two rounds, Pashin is a player we should swing on.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I can't see them opening it up to playoff teams without limiting it pretty heavily. It just doesn't make sense and the CBA is pretty specific that playoff teams don't participate in the lottery. They'll need a lot of consensus among the BOG and the NHLPA to go against the CBA.

The league absolutely won't want to see a playoff team winning 1st OA, little lone the SC winners.

If the issue is just Ottawa and Det being guaranteed a top 3 pick, all they need to do is lottory all 3 top picks as per usual, and still keep the only move up 4 spots max rule. That way a playoff team won't win the top pick, likely won't get a top 3 pick, but still gets to participate in the draft.

Let alone?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I hope we select Alexander Pashin with one of our second-round picks. He is a player that will fall due to factors outside of his on-ice play. Based on Byron Bader's model, he is roughly the 12th best forward in the draft. With 7 picks in the first two rounds, Pashin is a player we should swing on.

I would not mind if they took a swing at Pashin in the 2nd. In my to be posted most recent rankings I have him in the 1st tier outside the 1st round currently at 39. Not sure if the Sens scouts, Mann and Dorion would agree to take him there or at all based on his size though. IMO they would rather reach for a bigger player .. that's just a feeling though. I am not sure how much the Sens prospect scouting involves analytics in assisting their evaluations. Again my guess is not as much as they should or could but again its a guess.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Another one on Shakir Mukhamadullin

Here's my top 30 first eligible players currently playing in Europe.
https://www.futurescopehockey.com/post/2020-nhl-draft-rankings-europe-edition

Love the list. Europeans don't get enough coverage in the states, so thanks. Everyone sees things differently, so I don't want to nitpick specific rankings, but a little surprised Shakir Mukhamadullin didn't make the cut. Do you see him as a 4th rounder or later? Some still see him as borderline 1st.

Shakir is really, really bad at hockey. Other than being a decent skater, there's nothing he does well. I would't touch him in the first four rounds.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

I have also seen quotes like "other than having a big shot and size, there's nothing he does well".

With Taxman's addition, it should read like "other than having a big shot, size, and decent skating there's nothing he does well".

Essentially, he is raw and has a lot of room to grow. If Shak's BPA in the mid 2nd round where all the other D prospects are gone, I will still take him with one of the mid 2nd picks if no defenceman is drafted in round 1 by Dorion. Wallinder also intrigues me, as does Ryan O'Rourke, in the 2nd round - dunno if they will be available before Shak. Those are safer picks, Mukhamadullin has a higher ceiling.

Shak is boom or bust - boom potential is huge as really his inconsistency is what's holding him back, and that can come with more mileage and maturity in a solid development path in the minors.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I have also seen quotes like "other than having a big shot and size, there's nothing he does well".

With Taxman's addition, it should read like "other than having a big shot, size, and decent skating there's nothing he does well".

Essentially, he is raw and has a lot of room to grow. If Shak's BPA in the mid 2nd round where all the other D prospects are gone, I will still take him with one of the mid 2nd picks if no defenceman is drafted in round 1 by Dorion. Wallinder also intrigues me, as does Ryan O'Rourke, in the 2nd round - dunno if they will be available before Shak. Those are safer picks, Mukhamadullin has a higher ceiling.

Shak is boom or bust - boom potential is huge as really his inconsistency is what's holding him back, and that can come with more mileage and maturity in a solid development path in the minors.

I recall Gord Wilson declaring Chara a pylon when he played with the Islanders.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

That's just a bad look. Questioning the player's NHL-potential is one thing, but "really bad at hockey"? This about a player who has played above his age group for Russia internationally since he was 15, was the only regular 17 year old in the KHL this year, and the only 17 year old invited to Russia's U20 camp.

But I'm sure Alex Taxman knows hockey much better than the Ice Hockey Federation of Russia.

Reactions: armani

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I recall Gord Wilson declaring Chara a pylon when he played with the Islanders.

God bless his soul, hope he is 100% in full health, but I cartwheeled and hurt my back the day I learned good ol' Gordie won't be on my TV anymore.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yup just I said earlier. Sens gonna get pooched.

We don't really get screwed if the league goes back to the lottery system they had in place before the virus.

I mean it's a total tease for them to float the idea of the Sens getting 3rd/4th at worst and likely two of Lafreniere, Byfield and Stutzle, just to take it off the table due to teams (rightfully) complaining about them changing the rules, but we'd hardly getting screwed over by the league because they didn't change the rules to benefit us over other teams.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Also if there's a team to blame for this top 3 lottery system, it's not the Oilers as some have suggested, who didn't tank but were unintentionally terrible and lucked into multiple 1st overall picks, it's the god damned Sabres and Tim Murray, with an honorable mention to the Coyotes.

This system was put into place right after the shameful display by the Sabres and Yotes to not only ice horrible rosters in hopes of finishing last and guaranteeing themselves either McDavid or Eichel, but doing everything in their power that year to keep themselves terrible and sabotage their own on-ice product. To the league's credit I think it's helped avoid that kind of obvious tanking since then.

If there's a rule that should be implemented due to the Oilers winning 4 1st OVR picks in 6 years, it should be one that prevents a team from winning back-to-back 1st OVR picks or 2 within a 3 year period, or something to that effect. Would have prevented the Devils from lucking into two 1st OVR picks in 3 years, and prevent them from possibility getting another one in 2020.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I swear if they keep the same draft lottery system and the Devils once again win the 1st overall, i am going to f***ing lose it.

If that happens, i hope to god the NHL starts looking into creating a rule that states that if a team wins 1st overall, then they can't win another 1st overall for a certain amount of years.

Reactions: Pete Dorito

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Also if there's a team to blame for this top 3 lottery system, it's not the Oilers as some have suggested, who didn't tank but were unintentionally terrible and lucked into multiple 1st overall picks, it's the god damned Sabres and Tim Murray, with an honorable mention to the Coyotes.

This system was put into place right after the shameful display by the Sabres and Yotes to not only ice horrible rosters in hopes of finishing last and guaranteeing themselves either McDavid or Eichel, but doing everything in their power that year to keep themselves terrible and sabotage their own on-ice product. To the league's credit I think it's helped avoid that kind of obvious tanking since then.

If there's a rule that should be implemented due to the Oilers winning 4 1st OVR picks in 6 years, it should be one that prevents a team from winning back-to-back 1st OVR picks or 2 within a 3 year period, or something to that effect. Would have prevented the Devils from lucking into two 1st OVR picks in 3 years, and prevent them from possibility getting another one in 2020.

Pretty sure the changes were decided prior to the sabres tanking...

From Aug 2014:
NHL announces changes to Draft Lottery format

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League announced today changes to its Draft Lottery, a weighted system implemented and utilized to determine the order of selection in the first round of the NHL Draft for the 14 Clubs not qualifying for the Stanley Cup Playoffs (or the Clubs that have acquired the first-round drafting positions of those non-playoff teams).
These changes will be phased in over a two-year period, beginning with the Draft Lottery in 2015.

2015 NHL Draft Lottery
The odds of winning the first overall selection in the NHL Draft for the 14 non-Playoff teams will be adjusted to more appropriately reflect the current state of competitive balance in the League...

2016 NHL Draft Lottery
Beginning in 2016, the Draft Lottery will be utilized to assign the top three drafting slots in the NHL Draft, an expansion over previous years when the Draft Lottery was used to determine the winner of the first overall selection only.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
I swear if they keep the same draft lottery system and the Devils once again win the 1st overall, i am going to f***ing lose it.

If that happens, i hope to god the NHL starts looking into creating a rule that states that if a team wins 1st overall, then they can't win another 1st overall for a certain amount of years.

This is the solution to the issue of abusing the system via 'tanking,' and I wonder why this has not been discussed, considered, and implemented already by the league. If a team sucks, by all means let them have a good shot at a high pick. But if they do get the first overall, they shouldn't be able to do so for a few years. Teams tend to suck for a few consecutive years, but it makes sense to me that a team should be locked out of top 3 picks if they've had 1OA recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad