NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Most of those guys were only there as 16 year olds prior to moving on to the WHL and getting drafted out of the W, the list of guys actually drafted out of the MJHL is much lower, with only 10 since 2000

Yeah, I noticed that after being really confused about Sanheim. I would have remembered if he had been drafted out of Winkler in the top 15.

I give up trying to find a reliable website for this league!

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Mentioned Zayde Wisdom on here a while back. He's leading a dreadful Frontenacs team in scoring with 23 points in 26 games, tied with exceptional status Shane Wright. Leads the team with 14 goals. One of just 4 players on the team with a positive plus/minus.

Smaller, energy kinda guy. I get poor man Gallagher vibes from him whenever I see him. Wouldn't mind a flyer on him in the later rounds.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
According to wikipedia, it's been 47 years since a player was drafted out of the MJHL.

I doubt a second year eligible guy breaks that trend.

It is unlikely he gets draft but that doesn't mean that teams never considering drafting players from obscure leagues. The Senators drafted Jakov Novak in 2018 and he was a 2rd year draft eligible playing in the NAHL. One of the advantages of drafting players in these leagues is that they are eligible for NCAA scholarships. If a junior player plays more than a handful of games in the OHL, WHL or QMJHL they are considered professional athletes and lose eligibility for NCAA scholarships. The NCAA route provides organizations with a longer period of evaluation as they get to retain the rights of the player for their whole NCAA career and aren't required to use a contract on them at that time.

I post a few of those players playing in obscure leagues because they might end up being some of the best options in the 6th and 7th round. They often get overlooked and many don't even get drafted. Often a number of the NCAA free agents that teams end up signing are these kinds of players.

But overall, I am just posting players that seem interesting. I find the later rounds to be as intriguing as the early rounds and I like to post about some players that may or may not get drafted but may have some interesting upside.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, I noticed that after being really confused about Sanheim. I would have remembered if he had been drafted out of Winkler in the top 15.

I give up trying to find a reliable website for this league!

Hockey reference has a draft finder that will let you search by league.

Unfortunately, because the letters MJHL are included in QMJHL, I can't refine the search to only include MJHL, but because there are so few players drafted from there, I just sorted by league.

NHL Draft Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

Edit: I think the two kids that made it and played games in the NHL are 2nd year eligibles, correct me if I'm wrong...

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Mentioned Zayde Wisdom on here a while back. He's leading a dreadful Frontenacs team in scoring with 23 points in 26 games, tied with exceptional status Shane Wright. Leads the team with 14 goals. One of just 4 players on the team with a positive plus/minus.

Smaller, energy kinda guy. I get poor man Gallagher vibes from him whenever I see him. Wouldn't mind a flyer on him in the later rounds.

Zayde Wisdom at eliteprospects.com

Size seems fine. He is listed at 5'10 201 lbs that is stocky. Looking at his stats the most notable thing is his -36 last season and +1 this year. So it could be worthwhile to keep an eye on his defensive play. It sounds like he plays on a line with Shane Wright who is considered a top prospect in the 2022 draft. It could be a good idea to evaluate how much he benefits from playing with Wright and how much offense he creates himself. I like the Gallagher reference because I am a big fan of the style of play.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Zayde Wisdom at eliteprospects.com

Size seems fine. He is listed at 5'10 201 lbs that is stocky. Looking at his stats the most notable thing is his -36 last season and +1 this year. So it could be worthwhile to keep an eye on his defensive play. It sounds like he plays on a line with Shane Wright who is considered a top prospect in the 2022 draft. It could be a good idea to evaluate how much he benefits from playing with Wright and how much offense he creates himself. I like the Gallagher reference because I am a big fan of the style of play.

He does play on a line with Wright, which obviously helps, though they pair well together. Wright isn't strong enough at 15 to carry his linemates, though I'm sure he will in the future.

As for the -36, he was a rookie on a team that lost 52 games and had a .221 point percentage. He had 11 teammates with -30 or worse plus/minus, including one with a -58 (!). They only had one player with a positive rating, and that was a +1. It's really hard to describe how bad Kingston was last year. Doesn't indicate an issue with his defensive game, at least from what I've seen from him.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Rossi is about 8 days away from being eligible for last years draft. I am getting nervous we get him with our first pick. He is about 11 months older than Byfield.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He does play on a line with Wright, which obviously helps, though they pair well together. Wright isn't strong enough at 15 to carry his linemates, though I'm sure he will in the future.

As for the -36, he was a rookie on a team that lost 52 games and had a .221 point percentage. He had 11 teammates with -30 or worse plus/minus, including one with a -58 (!). They only had one player with a positive rating, and that was a +1. It's really hard to describe how bad Kingston was last year. Doesn't indicate an issue with his defensive game, at least from what I've seen from him.

Yeah that makes sense for his +/- stat. The Frontenacs are currently in 2nd last place in the league and they are the 5th worst team in goals against. It could still be a good idea to keep an eye on his defensive game. Being one of the better defensive players on a team that is struggling is a good sign. As fans we like to look at stats as a good indication of the quality of prospects but the reality is that teams value defensive play very highly. A player with great offensive state might only have that production because he cheats defensively or simply doesn't play defense. I am not claiming that Zayde Wisdom is bad defensively just a general principle when evaluating prospects is to keep an eye on their defensive and team play. Zayde Wisdom seems like an interesting prospect that is well worth keeping an eye on. If he can maintain his production and be one of the better defensive players on his team that will only increase his draft value.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Rossi is about 8 days away from being eligible for last years draft. I am getting nervous we get him with our first pick. He is about 11 months older than Byfield.
I’ve started thinking about slotting Rossi after Laf, Q, Raymond. The production is undeniable.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’ve started thinking about slotting Rossi after Laf, Q, Raymond. The production is undeniable.

Where do you think he goes if he was 8 days older and eligible for the 2019 draft ? I’m just worried we get a top 15 type player with a top 5 pick.

Many of the 2019 picks are tearing up the OHL like Kaliyev etc .

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Where do you think he goes if he was 8 days older and eligible for the 2019 draft ? I’m just worried we get a top 15 type player with a top 5 pick.

Many of the 2019 picks are tearing up the OHL like Kaliyev etc .
Rossi’s ppg is #1. I’ve watched him a lot in the last couple weeks as I was worried about his size. It’s not an issue, he is going top 10 and maybe top 5 for sure. His compete level is so damn high like other successful smaller players.

Reactions: Sensators

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I would have 0 reservations drafting Rossi. Obviously I would want Lafreniere or Byfield ahead of him, but I think he is worthy of being considered in the next grouping after those 2.

While he is an older draft eligible player, it's not like he has played an extra year in the O. (only something like 3 weeks difference than Lafreniere)

His stature doesn't scare me either. Kevin Bahl has gone on at length about how hard he is to knock off the puck/defend, and he is bigger than 90% of players in the NHL.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
IMO Perfetti goes ahead of Rossi particularly if he makes the WJC team and shows well. Not saying there is a huge gap.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Hopefully he has a serious growth spurt.

Yeah. He is listed at 5'8 from elite prospects. He has a high compete level. He has had a few fights this season and he can really throw them. His stats are decent in the WHL this year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad