NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It would seem we have plenty of 2/3 line talent. Given that I think we all generally agree we need high end talent to complete our future roster.

Consider this hypothetical:
Let’s say we have our top 5 pick
The SJ pick ends up 15
We trade Pageau get what ends up 21st pick
We trade DeMelo for a 2nd, let say #42

So we have this going into the draft:
1st (say it’s #2 OA)
1st (15th)
1st (21st)
2nd (36th)
2nd (40th)
2nd (42nd)
2nd (50th)

2 questions:
1. Would you keep all of the picks as is, or would you trade all 4 2nd rounders if it could get our 15th and 21st OA picks into the top 10 (let’s assume into the 9 & 10 spots.)

2nd OA
9th OA
10th OA

2. Had it ever happened/is it possible that the 15th and 21st could be upgraded to the 9&10 spots using the four 2nd round picks? (Two 2nds with each pick)

For example:
Byfield, Rossi, Askarov
Vs
Byfield,
1st (15th)
1st (21st)
2nd (36th)
2nd (40th)
2nd (42nd)
2nd (50th)

Remember what happened to Boston in 2015. You'd think they could've rebuilt so easily in that draft,and whiffed it.

But yes, I do think if we end up with that many first and second rounders, I would want to consolidate a few to try and move up. But I'd say after the top few picks, it would also depend how the draft shakes out. Never really know until draft day how the picks will sort out....we might see a lot of guys we target fall as well.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Remember what happened to Boston in 2015. You'd think they could've rebuilt so easily in that draft,and whiffed it.

But yes, I do think if we end up with that many first and second rounders, I would want to consolidate a few to try and move up. But I'd say after the top few picks, it would also depend how the draft shakes out. Never really know until draft day how the picks will sort out....we might see a lot of guys we target fall as well.

Its really what the organization should be trying to do. Getting two top 10 picks in this year's draft would be very ideal.

Can we be so lucky to draft either of these boys? One can only hope.
After what we have gone through the last 3 years we deserve one of them. However its going to require alot of luck. Detroit is a shoe in for last. I dont see how with the way the team is playing they finish behind Jersey or L.A.

I think Raymond is a distinct number 3 after Laf and Byfield. If the sens dont get one of them after all this losing its going to be sad.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Not sure if the site I used this morning is correct but it appears as of today we are looking at 5 picks in the top 51 ish… for 2020 (Our 1st, SJ's First, our Second, CLB and Dal' seconds). Let's hope for SJ to miss big and Clb to continue doing there thing and Dallas to falter down the stretch and let our imaginations run wild!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

2020 Draft Eligibles:
Team Canada
Alexis Lafreniere, Quinton Byfield, Cole Perfetti, Dawson Mercer, Jamie Drysdale, Braden Schneider

Team Russia

Maxim Groshev, Yaroslav Askarov

Team Czech Republic

Jan Mysak, Jaromir Pytlik, Pavel Novak, Michal Gut, Adam Raska, Simon Kubicek, Radek Kucerik, Nick Malik

Team Germany
Tim Stutzle, Lukas Reichel, John-Jason Peterka

Team Finland
Anton Lundell, Roni Hirvonen, Kristian Tanus, Aleks Haatanen, Topi Niemela, Axel Rindell

Team Sweden
Lucas Raymond, Alexander Holtz, Linus Nassen, Linus Oberg

Team Switzerland
Simon Knak, Keanu Derungs, Noah Delemont

Team Slovakia
Martin Chromiak, Oliver Okuliar, Samuel Knazko, Samuel Hlavaj

Team Kazakhstan
Maxim Musorov, Dias Guseinov, Artyom Korolyov, Vladislav Nurek

Zary added to Team Canada camp roster... @RAFI BOMB ..saw you post on this page after I posted

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Zary added to Team Canada camp roster... @RAFI BOMB ..saw you post on this page after I posted

I was surprised when he wasn't listed as part of the roster and so many 2020 eligible players were. Zary already played on team Canada this summer in the Ivan Hlinka tournament with the U20 team. He is a strong defensive player and plays a very versatile game so he is well suited to play a depth role if needed and he has had a strong start to the season offensively. I wonder why he only got the opportunity as a replacement for an injured player and not based on his skills and play this season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I was surprised when he wasn't listed as part of the roster and so many 2020 eligible players were. Zary already played on team Canada this summer in the Ivan Hlinka tournament with the U20 team. He is a strong defensive player and plays a very versatile game so he is well suited to play a depth role if needed and he has had a strong start to the season offensively. I wonder why he only got the opportunity as a replacement for an injured player and not based on his skills and play this season.
Both Zary and Rees were surprising omissions imo. At least Zary got a late invite.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
It would seem we have plenty of 2/3 line talent. Given that I think we all generally agree we need high end talent to complete our future roster.

Consider this hypothetical:
Let’s say we have our top 5 pick
The SJ pick ends up 15
We trade Pageau get what ends up 21st pick
We trade DeMelo for a 2nd, let say #42

So we have this going into the draft:
1st (say it’s #2 OA)
1st (15th)
1st (21st)
2nd (36th)
2nd (40th)
2nd (42nd)
2nd (50th)

2 questions:
1. Would you keep all of the picks as is, or would you trade all 4 2nd rounders if it could get our 15th and 21st OA picks into the top 10 (let’s assume into the 9 & 10 spots.)

2nd OA
9th OA
10th OA

2. Had it ever happened/is it possible that the 15th and 21st could be upgraded to the 9&10 spots using the four 2nd round picks? (Two 2nds with each pick)

For example:
Byfield, Rossi, Askarov
Vs
Byfield,
1st (15th)
1st (21st)
2nd (36th)
2nd (40th)
2nd (42nd)
2nd (50th)

In the scenario you presented I keep the extra picks. While the top end of this draft is excellent each pick is always a gamble. We have seen many top 10 picks bust and many 2nd round picks go on to be some of the best players in the league. There will be some really good players available in the 2nd round and a good chunk of them could be first rounders in a weaker draft. I think keeping the picks makes the most sense and then we can consider trading some or trading prospects to move up a few spots if a player we really want is within our reach.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Both Zary and Rees were surprising omissions imo. At least Zary got a late invite.

Yeah Rees should be there. He is a very good player and his versatility is helpful. Hockey Canada has made some questionable decisions in regards to their rosters for the WJHC over the last few years and I think that has impacted their success. Their are often a few head scratching omissions and then when they don't win gold (or even silver) it always seems like the players they didn't include would have made a meaningful difference.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
lol so right now we would be picking 4th and 8th overall.

Do you go with Akasov with the 8th overall or Rossi?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Draft Strategy:
- trade as many of the UFAs as possible starting asap for picks & prospects not just for the 2020 draft, but for picks in future drafts as well.

- target the players you want & use the assets at your disposal to get them. I would target Quinton Byfield C/LW with Ottawa's 1st OV pick & Yaroslav Askorov G with the SJ pick & I would use whatever assets it would require to move up to acquire these two. These two IMO are the best centre & best goalie in this draft.

- another target for Ottawa should be Braden Schneider RD, a 6'2" right shot defenceman who could be a future partner for Chabot on the right side. Justin Barron RD would be another option on defence, if Ottawa were to acquire another late 1st rd pick or use a few assets to move up.

- I also like Dawson Mercer RW, but Ottawa would have to use quite a few assets to acquire four of these guys especially if they all go in the 1st rd. They have five picks in the first two rds of the 2020 draft already & could add a couple more picks in the first two rds with the number of players expected to be traded this yr.

Braden Schneider | Braden Schneider Profile | Braden Schneider Scouting Report 2020

Justin Barron | Justin Barron Profile | Justin Barron Scouting Report 2020

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
i'd be furious if we took a goalie that high
What if the goalie drafted that high turned out to be another Martin Brodeur or Carey Price or Dominick Hasek? Askorov is projected to be an elite goalie & if Ottawa has an opportunity to draft a great goalie they should take it, they can always trade a couple of the goalies they have for other assets.

Reactions: Crosside

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
What if the goalie drafted that high turned out to be another Martin Brodeur or Carey Price or Dominick Hasek? Askorov is projected to be an elite goalie & if Ottawa has an opportunity to draft a great goalie they should take it, they can always trade a couple of the goalies they have for other assets.
if it happens, then good on the team that drafted him and good luck to them when he wants a long term contract for 10+ million.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The list of goalies taken with top 10 picks over the last 20 years isn't all that inspiring...

Good: Price (5), Fleury(1)

Ok: DiPietro(1), Lehtonen(2),

Bad: Montoya(6), Leclaire(8), Krahn(9), Blackburn(10)

It's nice to say that Askarov is projected to be elite, but so were DiPietro and Lehtonen. I imagine the same was probably said by some for Leclaire Montoya et al as well.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If you are guaranteed a Brodeur then sure. But you aren't...its actually pretty far from it

Jack Campbell was touted as the next price too

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
if it happens, then good on the team that drafted him and good luck to them when he wants a long term contract for 10+ million.

haha ... yea but that should never be part of the drafting strategy, deal with the business side of it when it comes up, but not at the draft. At least they will get a few yrs of controlled salary then it will be up to them to be creative & if not, they can always trade them for other assets.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
If you get Byfield or Laf then you can afford to gamble on Askarov. I don't know if I'd do it, but if they take him and he busts, it's not a big deal when you already got a superstar with your first pick.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If you are guaranteed a Brodeur then sure. But you aren't...its actually pretty far from it

Jack Campbell was touted as the next price too
Of course, there are no guarantees, but someone took a chance on Brodeur (Lamorello) & Hasek & IMO this is the draft to take a chance with Askorov. Everything that is written about Askorov is saying that he will be an elite goaltender including better than last yr's Spencer Knight who also went in the 1st rd. IMO Askorov is a goaltender that comes around once in a decade that you take a chance on to become an elite goaltender in the NHL.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Of course, there are no guarantees, but someone took a chance on Brodeur (Lamorello) & Hasek & IMO this is the draft to take a chance with Askorov. Everything that is written about Askorov is saying that he will be an elite goaltender including better than last yr's Spencer Knight who also went in the 1st rd. IMO Askorov is a goaltender that comes around once in a decade that you take a chance on to become an elite goaltender in the NHL.
If our pick is 20th and Askarov is there like Brodeau then sure. Hasek also went in the 10th round

I wouldn't take a goalie high lots of starting goalies were taken later in the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->