Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 25th Overall - Justin Barron, RD

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
What an awful take.

He had a f***ing blood clot to deal with. You trying to deal with a blood clot when you were 17 years old big guy.

Try to be fair. His lost time is a legitimate concern. He’s a little heavy handed with it but, if not for the health setback, he might be a top 10 pick. A lot of us agree it’s worth the risk. But not everyone.

We should try to be fair to each other and allow intellectual honesty.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Another thing I like with this pick is because of his age Barron will be eligible to play in the AHL after this season.

Reactions: McMetal

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
That looks good, although how likely is it that Barron becomes a top 4 d-man in the NHL? Also his blood clot issues along with Timmins concussion issues, there will still be some question marks there
Doesn't sound like his blood clot will be a reoccurring issue. From The Athletic article I posted earlier...

“The corrective procedure is what he needed and that will solve the problem,” Barron said. “He’s not predisposed to clots like some people are. This was an issue that was caused by muscle and bone that was too close together, so now that it’s corrected he’ll be fine. He’s such a mature kid and that’s what’s helped him get through this.”

Reactions: the_fan

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
61lmykghEdL._SL1200_.jpg

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What an awful take.

He had a f***ing blood clot to deal with. You trying to deal with a blood clot when you were 17 years old big guy.
Guess we’ll find out in a few years. He had a poor draft season beyond the clot. He didn’t play well when he was on the ice. Just had more surgery. So another year of missed development. Feels like a 2014 type Avs pick to me.

Psycho Mantis

Jul 29, 2020
Welcome to the Avs family. You’ll be loved and you’ll be hated, but we all want you to do well. Good luck!

I think we should create a new thread. He deserves one created by an Avs fan.

So excited about the future of this team!

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Big stay at home d is a good thing to have, but I think Avs will need a two way guy sometime down the road, specially after EJ is gone. Every team that wins the cup has a two way d-man who logs big minutes and plays in every situation
That’s Byram. That top paid LHD. Guess we’re down in helleson to draft another Helleson a year later.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Disappointed we passed on JJP, but I'm warming up to the pick. An awesome skater with size and great upside playing arguably the most valuable position in the league. What more could you ask for from late first round pick?

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
That’s Byram. That top paid LHD. Guess we’re down in helleson to draft another Helleson a year later.
Nothing wrong with drafting RHD's high. They have tremendous value, and if one of Timmins/Barron/Helleson don't work out we have contingency now. But if they all work out we can easily move one for a forward.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Hopefully Byram develops into that player, it will be huge for the Avs

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
Good pick. Nothing overly special but solid hockey sense and good overall skills.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Disappointed we passed on JJP, but I'm warming up to the pick. An awesome skater with size and great upside playing arguably the most valuable position in the league. What more could you ask for from late first round pick?

I also wanted JJP, but realistically a strong skating RHD is the greater need.

Reactions: The Merchant

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I really wanted a forward, but it sounds like this kid has serious upside. Whether or not he'll hit it is up for debate, but he certainly has the raw talent. Keep him away from the Avs development team and hopefully he'll be a NHL regular in a few years.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Nothing wrong with drafting RHD's high. They have tremendous value, and if one of Timmins/Barron/Helleson don't work out we have contingency now. But if they all work out we can easily move one for a forward.
We’ll probably trade our 2021 pick but that is a good D, lousy forward draft. So we can’t expect to use a 2021 high pick on a good forward.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Makar? :sarcasm:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I really wanted a forward, but it sounds like this kid has serious upside. Whether or not he'll hit it is up for debate, but he certainly has the raw talent. Keep him away from the Avs development team and hopefully he'll be a NHL regular in a few years.

I think with this pick in the bag the Avs can really hit forwards hard in the draft the next couple years. Especially if Timmins and Byram become good regulars at the NHL level.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I think with this pick in the bag the Avs can really hit forwards hard in the draft the best couple years. Especially if Timmins and Byram become good regulars at the NHL level.
Yeah, true. The defense corps will be very young, and they'll be able to supplement the aging forwards with some good forwards if the defense works out long-term. I'm still very wary of declaring any Avs pick outside the top-10 as being NHL capable, though, due to all of their misses in the past.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am extremely disappointed that you lot this wanker in Lastwordarmy steal our thread away from the proper Avs fans. Can't even put the "prospects info" prefix in the title so we can come back when this thread eventually gets buried. :shakehead

As for Barron and this selection, meh. This is vanilla ice cream level pick not due to Justin Barron being this overall terrible player, but what plagues the Avs and plagued them again is going for safe instead of higher upside potential. Just look at Blue Jackets and Jarmo Kekalainen, doesn't give a shit where they're picking, they properly identify talent and go into IDGAF mode in making off the board yet amazing picks. Barron has good qualities, but Avs 101% left better players on the board and this is how we don't hit on picks later in the 1st round and even beyond. I see a lot of the Niskanen comparisons in his game for sure, but we would be fortunate to have him get to his level. I don't think Barron is as smart nor crafty with the puck as Matt was. Not severely disappointed, but a bit deflated even if he does fill a need and should become an NHL player, which I suggest are probably the best characteristics of the entire selection. Good for Pronman though, he absolutely called it no doubt. I'll be cheering on Barron though, welcome to the organisation mate.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think with this pick in the bag the Avs can really hit forwards hard in the draft the best couple years. Especially if Timmins and Byram become good regulars at the NHL level.
Yeah, at this point, the biggest hole in the prospect pool is at C, so time to go for broke on those tomorrow and try to get some value there.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad