Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 25th Overall - Justin Barron, RD

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
A late-2001 birthday, Justin Barron was the 13th overall pick in the 2017 QMJHL Draft. Barron made an instant impact, being named to the QMJHL All-Rookie Team in 2017-18.

He followed that up with an impressive sophomore campaign with the Halifax Mooseheads in 2018-19. He put up nine goals and 32 assists for 41 points in 68 games played. Barron also added two goals and 11 assists for 13 points in 23 playoff games as the Mooseheads advanced to the QMJHL final and one point in four games as they went to the final of the Memorial Cup. He has also impressed internationally, with five points in five games at the 2018 Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, winning a gold medal. He also won a silver medal at the 2017 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge playing for Team Canada Red.

This season, Barron has missed nearly three months due to being diagnosed with a blood clot. He has put up four goals and 15 assists for 19 points in 34 games for a rebuilding Halifax team that finished 17th in the QMJHL. Barron also appeared in two games for Team QMJHL in the Canada-Russia Super Series.

Justin Barron Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #21 - Last Word on Hockey

Reactions: Perratrooper

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
At least he has a hang on the national team. Joe Sakic is responsible for this, I bet.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Byram - Makar
Girard - Barron/Timmins

Good Timmins insurance or just trade the dude and completely clear a spot for Byram next year.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Really nice pick. Big RHD's who can skate and pass like him are tough to find. Our RHD is looking real good going forwards.

Graves --------- Makar
Girard --------- Johnson
Byram --------- Timmins
Zadorov ------- Barron
Cole ------------ Helleson
Zhuravlyov

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Nice pick, a big two-way RD is just what we need. Maybe not as flashy as some would like, but he should be a good prospect.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Nice pick, a big two-way RD is just what we need. Maybe not as flashy as some would like, but he should be a good prospect.
He’s got a number of flaws defensively, but has the skill set to be good there. Gonna take some time.

Reactions: McMetal

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I think it's often a good move to draft a kid who had an injury in this draft year that cut his playing time. It makes his numbers less impressive, which causes him to drop further than he should if you're drafting on ability rather than output. Barron could easily end up being a steal

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
whats the deal with the blood clots? is that like a hereditary thing? re occuring? fluke? kinda reminds me of Kaut last year with his heart thingy

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Craig Button's Analysis

"Cerebral defenceman who plays with a very calm and settled approach. He has good vision and sees the plays in all three zones and gets the puck to the right players in the right spots at the right times. Poised."

Projection:
No. 3/No. 4 Two-Way Defenceman
Comparable: Matt Niskanen

Justin Barron - Defence - TSN.ca

24. Justin Barron, D, Halifax-QMJHL

Nov. 15, 2001 | 6-foot-2 | 195 pounds

Skating: 60
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 50
Hockey Sense: 60

Barron is a player who’s been hyped for a few years, playing well for Canada and Halifax. He had a tough season with a blood clot keeping him out for a while. He came back in late February, but it was still mostly a lost season with so-so production. On the ice, Barron is a fantastic skater who can lead a rush and close a gap very well, and he projects to be able to handle the NHL speed easily. When he hooks the net and is able to rush with speed, he’s very difficult to stop with his size. The question on his game among scouts is whether he has enough skill and offensive IQ to move the puck at the higher levels. I think he does, but I understand the concerns and debated between putting a 55 or 60 on his hockey sense. He may not be a top puck-mover on your blue line, but rather someone who is solid defensively and makes enough plays to take even strength shifts.

Andre Tourigny, coach of Canada’s 2018 U18 team, on Barron: “He has a lot of poise. He can move the puck well. He moves well. He has all the tools you want in a player, but could play with a bit more bite.”

Pronman’s thoughts: Barron’s athleticism stands out whenever you watch him, as a right-handed defenseman who is a tremendous skater with size. His health is a minor concern and it’s questionable how much offense he’ll generate, but I think he has enough skill to go with the skating to be a top-four defenseman. The Avs have a lot of good young defensemen, but they have good forwards, too. I have no issue with this pick.

NHL Draft 2020 Live updates and Round 1 analysis

Skating and hockey sense are the two things I want the most in defensemen and it sounds like he has both. Button gives him a 4/5 on both.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
???-Makar
Girard-Timmins
Graves-Barron

Future d core still needs a top pair leftie guy

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Great pick. He is the one I wanted if they went D.

Sportsnet said they think we hit a home run.

Reactions: Avs_19

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
I think it's often a good move to draft a kid who had an injury in this draft year that cut his playing time. It makes his numbers less impressive, which causes him to drop further than he should if you're drafting on ability rather than output. Barron could easily end up being a steal
Bob McKenzie had him at #10 in the pre-season draft rankings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad