Girard-Timmins
Graves-Barron

Future d core still needs a top pair leftie guy

tumblr_pzcaelRZ0p1yolb7lo1_500.gifv

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I reaaaaaaally like the way our D is looking up for the future.
I love that the Avs pick Dmen in the latter part of the 1st round. You can never have enough dmen especially RHD. You can always trade one for a FWD.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Barron has a chance to join Newhook and Byram on Team Canada at the world juniors this Dec.

Speaking of which, that has the potential to be some tournament. If there’s no NHL started we could see Kirby Dach, Jack Hughes, Kakko, Lafreniere, Byram, Byfield, Stuzle, Newhook, Zegras etc all there.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I don't know how I feel about this pick. Loved him when he was 16... but he's basically the same player he was then... so I don't know... He's not a guy that's really trended up and improved his game much in the last couple of years and he'll need to start taking steps forward.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Don’t like this pick. Oh well. He’s an older player for his draft and hasn’t shown much growth. Like one of those elite guys at 16. Everyone else hits their growth spurts and he’s just a JAG.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Oops, true that. However on a second thought, I dont see Graves as part of the future d core for the Avs, I could be wrong though
Graves is probably only a stop-gap for Byram in the top 4, and within a couple of years he'll probably price himself out of a 3rd pairing role just like Zadorov now.

We could probably do with another LHD prospect as well, but I'm guessing we'll grab one or two tomorrow to give us some more options there.

Byram -------- Makar
Girard -------- Barron
xxxxx --------- Timmins
Zhuravlyov --- Helleson

Reactions: McMetal and the_fan

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I think it's often a good move to draft a kid who had an injury in this draft year that cut his playing time. It makes his numbers less impressive, which causes him to drop further than he should if you're drafting on ability rather than output. Barron could easily end up being a steal

I like how you said it. He started the year at #15. With a clean year, he could have been top 10. If not for the health setback, we likely wouldn’t have had a shot at him. He checks a lot of boxes and has good upside.

Reactions: Richard88

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
???-Makar
Girard-Timmins
Graves-Barron

Future d core still needs a top pair leftie guy
Did you miss the 2019 draft. Like top 5 of it? Avs had this pick. Took a kid a few consider the top affiliated prospect in hockey. Plays D. Left shot.

Reactions: Ararana

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Graves is probably only a stop-gap for Byram in the top 4, and within a couple of years he'll probably price himself out of a 3rd pairing role just like Zadorov now.

We could probably do with another LHD prospect as well, but I'm guessing we'll grab one or two tomorrow to give us some more options there.

Byram -------- Makar
Girard -------- Barron
xxxxx --------- Timmins
Zhuravlyov --- Helleson
That looks good, although how likely is it that Barron becomes a top 4 d-man in the NHL? Also his blood clot issues along with Timmins concussion issues, there will still be some question marks there

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
That looks good, although how likely is it that Barron becomes a top 4 d-man in the NHL? Also his blood clot issues along with Timmins concussion issues, there will still be some question marks there
Between Barron, Timmins, and Helleson we should be able to get one #4 RHD. If not we could always trade them, RHD's are always in demand.

Reactions: the_fan

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Did you miss the 2019 draft. Like top 5 of it? Avs had this pick. Took a kid a few consider the top affiliated prospect in hockey. Plays D. Left shot.
Ok ok ok, so I forgot Drew Helleson, we all make mistakes

Reactions: missionAvs

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I reaaaaaaally like the way our D is looking up for the future.
I love that the Avs pick Dmen in the latter part of the 1st round. You can never have enough dmen especially RHD. You can always trade one for a FWD.

Let’s think about this. In a few years, 9296 will probably earn around 30 million. Conservatively, Makar might be 9ish. We have Girard locked up for a good while on one of the best contracts in the NHL at 5.

We no longer have a Duchene to trade. We no longer have an OReilly or Barrie to trade. By adding bigger contracts, we need to start filling our own needs if this is going to be sustainable. I saw a lot of people talking about trading the 25th because it’s “win now”. OK, but how do we continue winning? At some point we have to create a continuous flow of our own talent to fill specific roles and also positions.

The biggest concern is his health and lost time. The Avs didn’t compromise on character here. He has a lot of talent and big upside.

Within the last week, I started feeling more and more like this might be our pick.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Don’t like this pick. Oh well. He’s an older player for his draft and hasn’t shown much growth. Like one of those elite guys at 16. Everyone else hits their growth spurts and he’s just a JAG.

What an awful take.

He had a f***ing blood clot to deal with. You trying to deal with a blood clot when you were 17 years old big guy.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018

he’s just a Just A Guy?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Drew Helleson is a big, stay at home RHD. A lot like Barron.
Big stay at home d is a good thing to have, but I think Avs will need a two way guy sometime down the road, specially after EJ is gone. Every team that wins the cup has a two way d-man who logs big minutes and plays in every situation

Reactions: Richard88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad