Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Lmao at all the people who most likely know next to nothing about the player (here and on Twitter) comparing him to McIlrath and lambasting him and trading up for him.

Kid seems like this is around where he was projected to go. The Rangers clearly like him. We have assets out the ass, who cares about trading up? That’s the whole point of acquiring a shit ton of assets, to afford yourself the flexibility to make a move like this if you love a player.

I like the player. I think McIlrath moaners are just complainers who are out to lunch. I just think that people are surprised we didn’t take a center when we moved up. Giving up a 3rd is meaningless to me; as you said, we’re loaded. If this kid was a LH shot I think everyone would be digging it more.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I’ve got news for everyone here. Schneider is going to be ready well before 23-24. Try 21-22. The logjam is real and there will be multiple trades made from that side of the defense over the next few years.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Think about prospect timelines. Guys take a year or three to even make the NHL. Then they may need some light 3rd pair minutes.

That means he's not looking to step into a top 4 role until 2023 or 2024. Do we really all think that Trouba, ADA and Fox are all still here and incapable of being supplanted 4 seasons from now?

Even McD took 3-4 seasons. Just be right about the pick. Logjam is an illegitimate concern. If we have a logjam in less than a year then it means he's a home run. The only way the pick is bad is if he busts but you could say the same for any player

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
He was a projected SLAM PICK For Toronto at 15, so the value is there. I just still don't get it.

I wanted Zary there, but whatever. We'll see.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I like Schneider as a player. I like Schneider a lot if he’s NHL ready in 2 years. I’m okay with the idea of balancing the D more and not going with smaller puck movers. If that’s the case, package what it takes to land a 2C. Let Strome walk if you have to, package ADA/Nils/Krav and grab a legitimate 2C. Or top LD.

Those slashes better be "or" and not "and".

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I wanted Reichel at 22. Wasn’t going to happen.

No complaints about this pick. RD is a premium position and if kids pan out and that ends up being an organizational strength, that bodes well for us.

Also, the thought of a Miller-Schneider pairing is mouth watering. Good luck getting near our crease with those guys on the ice.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
RHD. That means deangelo is gone.
It also means we need a RD plug this season and will likely miss the playoffs — putting us in a meh position to draft next season. Unless there’s no sophomore slump for Fox and Kakko really ups his game.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Davidson said we would be trading from a position of strength to fortify a position of weakness if necessary. He actually said it like that yesterday. We have so many d-men expect a few of them to get moved for a center at some point.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Thank you JD. Two highly talented, nasty, physical Canadian players. Not soft, Euro trash. That's how you start to challenge for the cup.

Yeah, I rather have "soft Euros" Miro Heiskanen, Victor Hedman, John Klingberg, Sebastian Aho, Andrei Svechnikov, Alex Ovechkin, Nikita Kucherov etc rather than Brandon Pirri, Mike Matheson, Jack Johnson, Justin Abdelkader and others.

You know, since we are only judging players on their nationality :laugh:

You're a joke.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kid was largely predicted to go higher, we snatched him. I like it.

I am not a fan of drafting players whose biggest asset is their size. Schneider's biggest asset is his puck moving ability, and his size comes second. Probably Trouba is the quick (lazy) comparison here. I have nothing against the pick, but can't really say I am behind trading up for a defenseman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad