Kreider
Mika
Kakko
Lafreniere
Chytil
Buch
Kravtsov
Gauthier

We don’t have a shortage of good forwards.

They have very little organizational depth at center. RD specifically is stocked with under 25 options.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
They have...

panarin
Kreider
Mika
Kakko
Lafreniere
Chytil
Buch
Kravtsov
Gauthier

And the first 7 players you listed there don’t just have the potential to be good. They will all be solid to elite NHL contributors when things start in 2 months.

Reactions: Inferno

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I like the player. I think McIlrath moaners are just complainers who are out to lunch. I just think that people are surprised we didn’t take a center when we moved up. Giving up a 3rd is meaningless to me; as you said, we’re loaded. If this kid was a LH shot I think everyone would be digging it more.

We have plenty of LD prospects. I think we'll be adding an NHL LD through trade/free agency.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Fair..and I wanted lapierre fwiw.

but if you truly believe in bpa then we can’t compLin when the team takes their bpa

As I’ve said I like Schneider individually. I also liked Miller and Lundkvist.

But they have a clear cut strategy to prioritize the D a certain way. That’s why they specifically targeted Miller and Schneider in trade ups instead of targeting forwards they liked in trade ups.

I’m ready to see some organizational commitment to center depth please. I feel sometimes they are willing to say l”We are good with Buch at RW” but not “we are good with DeAngelo at RD,” even though their situations on the roster are quite similar. And again, center... jeeebus. It’s a wasteland after Chytil basically. Morgan Barron, wow.

If they trade back in and get Khusnutdinov in the second I’ll forgive them though.

Reactions: Cag29

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
He's likely three years away like most defenders getting picked in this spot. I wouldn't worry too much about where's he's going to fit in the lineup just yet. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up replacing Trouba down the road. That's a new haunting contract.

Reactions: Leetch3

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
1 and
They have...

panarin
Kreider
Mika
Kakko
Lafreniere
Chytil
Buch
Kravtsov
Gauthier

1 and a half of those is a center though. And the one is the one who needs the biggest new deal the soonest.

Reactions: mas0764

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
This player is not at all like McIlrath. McIlrath was a monster Enforcer for the WHL. Arguably the toughest player in the league. They thought could transition into a hybrid type of player that could be a potential top 4 guy. They swung and missed...big time! At the time McIlrath was relevant because fighting was still apart of the game. A heavyweight fighter that could play a regular shift was very much desired by much of the league.

Schneider is not a fighter like that. He will drop the mitts, and he's pretty good at it too. He's not know as the Cade McNelly type. He has about 1 major in WHL for Brandon. Schnieder is also a player who was high enough to make team Canada at U-18's, and the season Prior for the U-17's. Very surprised that were seeing so many negative posts about him. I had a couple of players I wanted to see over him. Khusnutdinov was high for me. But...Im not really dissapointed at all with this.

K'Andre Miller on the Left Brayden Schneider on the Right.

Thats not such a bad move.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Woodlief has Schneider #21
Compares him to Darnell Nurse.
“Steady reliable punishing hitter with upside”

Black Book has him #11
They had him higher specifically for his “Awareness” on and off the puck and ability to process the play rapidly and decision making.
One thing I like about Blackbooks rankings are this. None of the Scouts interviewed had a bad thing to say about him. One actually had him higher then Drysdale.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Sure, but why not keep the center pipeline stocked?

My problem isn’t with Schneider, who i like, it’s more with the organization’s slavish devotion to building defense first which I think is misguided slightly in today’s league. The Rangers always seem to lean D. I’d rather have a stable of forwards. Or at least half a stable.

I’m not saying abandon BPA but there comes a point when it’s clear we aren’t talking about BPA on a year to year basis but rather an organizational preference for committing a disproportionate amount of our resources to defensemen.

Laf, Kakko, Chytil, Kravtsov, and Gauthier is quite the damn stable. Andersson (21) and Howden (22) still also exist. Hendriksson (21) Lemieux (24) and Barron (21) can be great depth forwards.

Also, Panarin, Zibby, and Buch are all in their 20s, and already have half of our top-6 spots locked up.

Would it have been nice to grab another center? sure, but we aren't starving for one. Not at the expense of BPA.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
I see nothing wrong with the pick. It's hard to puke and moan about skates and an character attitude to go along with it. But we will see in two to three years just how good moving up in the draft this was. I like a little sandpaper to go along with the D and his shot is not too shabby.

Reactions: Chytilmania

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
As I’ve said I like Schneider individually. I also liked Miller and Lundkvist.

But they have a clear cut strategy to prioritize the D a certain way. That’s why they specifically targeted Miller and Schneider in trade ups instead of targeting forwards they liked in trade ups.

I’m ready to see some organizational commitment to center depth please. I feel sometimes they are willing to say l”We are good with Buch at RW” but not “we are good with DeAngelo at RD,” even though their situations on the roster are quite similar. And again, center... jeeebus. It’s a wasteland after Chytil basically. Morgan Barron, wow.

If they trade back in and get Khusnutdinov in the second I’ll forgive them though.

How are their situations similar? Buch is our #1 RW. If Kreider slides over to RW at some point, Buch will at worst be RW on the 2nd line. None of Kakko, Kravtsov or Gauthier have come close to passing him yet. Meanwhile, ADA is 3rd on the RD depth chart, looking for a significant raise, and we now have 2 1st round picks behind him. Trading ADA for a 2C or a top 4 LD makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad