Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Everyone seems so convinced our defense is set. I’ve never been convinced about this.

This team isn’t winning a cup with Trouba as its big, minute-eating defenseman. I love Fox, but I don’t think he’s our solution here (probably a complement to that big top pairing guy). K’Andre Miller couldn’t be further from a sure bet. Robertson is great, but still many what-ifs. I love Nils, but he’s similar to Fox - I don’t think he accomplishes what we truly lack.

What we’ve got at forward is so much more of a sure bet. All this complaining about space of Schneider. Where the hell is the space for Lapierre? Not a bunch of question marks - he’s legitimately be going up against 5-6 top top tier forwards.

I don’t trust Gorton or Clark. Not at all. Most of you know that. This just seems like a solid pick in general. “Trusting the process” aside.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I’ve got news for everyone here. Schneider is going to be ready well before 23-24. Try 21-22. The logjam is real and there will be multiple trades made from that side of the defense over the next few years.

... I will hate trading that logjam away... I like ADA, Trouba, Fox and Lundkvist already.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Guys... if Schneider is a typical mid-round pick, then he’s 2-4 years away. We’re talking about post-DeAngelo. We’re talking about towards the end of Lundkvist’s ELC. We’re talking about near the end of Trouba’s full NTC.

There’s nothing to be confused about here. This is about keeping the pipeline stocked.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Thank you JD. Two highly talented, nasty, physical Canadian players. Not soft, Euro trash. That's how you start to challenge for the cup.

I get your point, but there are plenty of physical Euros and soft Canadians. We also have a sizable Euro contingent here in our message board community.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Everyone seems so convinced our defense is set. I’ve never been convinced about this.

This team isn’t winning a cup with Trouba as its big, minute-eating defenseman. I love Fox, but I don’t think he’s our solution here. K’Andre Miller couldn’t be further from a sure bet. Robertson is great, but still many what-ifs. I love Nils, but he’s similar to Fox - I don’t think he accomplishes what we need.

What we’ve got at forward is so much more of a sure bet. All this complaining about space of Schneider. Where the hell is the space for Lapierre? Not a bunch of question marks - legitimately 5-6 top top tier forwards.

I thought he was a C?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't blame you for not being a fan of the pick, but he definitely has offensive upside.
I could certainly be wrong but I don’t see it. People hoping for the best because he can hit. I’m not falling for it again.

Reactions: NikC

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
@Edge

does that E. Lindholm comp I just heard for Zary tie into the flames pick making sense by any chance.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Guys... if Schneider is a typical mid-round pick, then he’s 2-4 years away. We’re talking about post-DeAngelo. We’re talking about towards the end of Lundkvist’s ELC. We’re talking about near the end of Trouba’s full NTC.

There’s nothing to be confused about here. This is about keeping the pipeline stocked.
Edge is saying the Rangers view him as a year away

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I am not a fan of drafting players whose biggest asset is their size. Schneider's biggest asset is his puck moving ability, and his size comes second. Probably Trouba is the quick (lazy) comparison here. I have nothing against the pick, but can't really say I am behind trading up for a defenseman

I like BPA, especially when it falls to you. But trading up to specifically target something screams that you feel compelled based on either need or extraordinary value.

Well we have no need there.

Better be right that he’s extraordinary value.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

This team isn’t winning a cup with Trouba as its big, minute-eating defenseman. I love Fox, but I don’t think he’s our solution here (probably a complement to that big top pairing guy). K’Andre Miller couldn’t be further from a sure bet. Robertson is great, but still many what-ifs. I love Nils, but he’s similar to Fox - I don’t think he accomplishes what we truly lack.

What we’ve got at forward is so much more of a sure bet. All this complaining about space of Schneider. Where the hell is the space for Lapierre? Not a bunch of question marks - he’s legitimately be going up against 5-6 top top tier forwards.

I don’t trust Gorton or Clark. Not at all. Most of you know that. This just seems like a solid pick in general.

Fox isn’t a solution?? Why did we just trade two picks for him then?

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I’ve got news for everyone here. Schneider is going to be ready well before 23-24. Try 21-22. The logjam is real and there will be multiple trades made from that side of the defense over the next few years.
What happened to 22-23? Lol
He’s very mature and polished but I’ll go with one more season in the WHL before spending some time in Hartford. Can’t dislike this pick. Has the ability to take space away, strong skater, leader and well respected, physical and goes up against top lines and racks up minutes. Who knows. Could fall in line with an exit strategy for Trouba.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Sure, but why not keep the center pipeline stocked?

My problem isn’t with Schneider, who i like, it’s more with the organization’s slavish devotion to building defense first which I think is misguided slightly in today’s league. The Rangers always seem to lean D. I’d rather have a stable of forwards. Or at least half a stable.

I’m not saying abandon BPA but there comes a point when it’s clear we aren’t talking about BPA on a year to year basis but rather an organizational preference for committing a disproportionate amount of our resources to defensemen.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Sure, but why not keep the center pipeline stocked?

My problem isn’t with Schneider, who i like, it’s more with the organization’s slavish devotion to building defense first which I think is misguided slightly in today’s league. The Rangers always seem to lean D. I’d rather have a stable of forwards. Or at least half a stable.

I’m not saying abandon BPA but there comes a point when it’s clear we aren’t talking about BPA on a year to year basis but rather an organizational preference for committing a disproportionate amount of our resources to defensemen.
They have...

panarin
Kreider
Mika
Kakko
Lafreniere
Chytil
Buch
Kravtsov
Gauthier

We don’t have a shortage of good forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad