NFL: 2020 NFL season news & notes discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder if that was not Marrone's choice. You would think he'll be fired at year's end so he gains nothing from tanking. This shows there are indeed ways to tank without depending on players to purposely play badly. Flacco should have been starting for the Jets.
The Bills started Rob Johnson over Doug Flutie in the playoffs vs the Titans which was an ownership call. But, at least Wade still had his job.

Marrone, he's gone so I don't see how doing that benefits him on his next opportunity.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
not a massive surprise. Given Ben's age, probably don't want to risk it against a team that needs to win.
It's also helpful that Rudolph gets first team reps in game action just in case he's needed.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

The W is basically being handed to Arizona here.

Although if he is just a close contact, and Tuesday counts as day 1 of the 5 day isolation period, he can play Sunday.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

The W is basically being handed to Arizona here.

Although if he is just a close contact, and Tuesday counts as day 1 of the 5 day isolation period, he can play Sunday.

Rams can still back in if the Bears lose to GB who are playing for the bye.

if GB loses they then need Seattle to lose cause GB owns the tie breaker vs NO. NO only gets the bye with a 3 way tie.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Rams can still back in if the Bears lose to GB who are playing for the bye.

if GB loses they then need Seattle to lose cause GB owns the tie breaker vs NO. NO only gets the bye with a 3 way tie.
Seattle will win on Sunday, but the 49ers will show up.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Rams brought back Blake Bortles to back up John Wolford

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rams brought back Blake Bortles to back up John Wolford
How is it that the Ram have to pull someone who wasn’t with them the whole season. So Covid shouldn’t each team have a third QB from the start of the season? And likely a 4th just in case?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
How is it that the Ram have to pull someone who wasn’t with them the whole season. So Covid shouldn’t each team have a third QB from the start of the season? And likely a 4th just in case?
He was there last year so it’s just a case of a guy who is already familiar with their program.

Bryce Perkins is on their practice squad.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Chiefs are sitting Mahomes on Sunday.

3 weeks between games. I get Pitt sitting Ben, but Mahomes is already getting a bye. Have to be wary of timing being off early in their first playoff game.

KC has nothing to play for so I get that. How much time off is too much though...

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

To me, this will present an interesting problem. Everyone knows it's a bad idea to pay running backs these days, but it's undeniable that Seattle plays much better when Carson is out there and healthy.
They don't really know that Penny can take that load and perform as well, either after missing a whole year. Hyde's a #2 at this point. The two kids from Miami, who knows.

He's not on the level of Henry or Zeke, but he's not going to cost what they do either. Point is, I wonder where the line is in terms of salary/ year that makes it worth keeping a valuable RB around.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

To me, this will present an interesting problem. Everyone knows it's a bad idea to pay running backs these days, but it's undeniable that Seattle plays much better when Carson is out there and healthy.
They don't really know that Penny can take that load and perform as well, either after missing a whole year. Hyde's a #2 at this point. The two kids from Miami, who knows.

He's not on the level of Henry or Zeke, but he's not going to cost what they do either. Point is, I wonder where the line is in terms of salary/ year that makes it worth keeping a valuable RB around.

Seattle has to decide whether to exercise the 5th year option on Penny this off-season. Not sure what the commitment would be, but he hasn't shown that ability yet. Plus Seattle is without a 1st and 3rd in this draft and need help at DL, CB, and OL. Any RB they add would be a late pick or a UDFA.
Homer is more a 3rd down back. Dallas was a former receiver, so he's a good pass catcher, but not an every down back that Seattle is looking for to bring the physicality.

Carson, depends on what he wants money wise. 4 years at $40-$45 mill is probably the max Seattle goes with $20-$24 mill of that being guaranteed.

Thing is, what other team would pay for a RB? He's not a hybrid back, a clearly a much better running than receiver. SEA and Carson fit each other well. See if they can make the money work. Seattle has to pay to keep dunlap and Adams is done his 4th year and wants to get paid. KJ Wright a likely cap casualty, but with the selection of Brooks, they should be ok at LB. Also Griffen at CB is a free agent.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
This will likely become a big nothing burger by Sunday, but as a Dolphins & Steelers fan, if they postpone this game to early next week & the Dolphins miss the playoffs & the Steelers have to play a post season game on a short week I promise you I will go into a major rage.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I am pretty sure they will play it on Sunday considering 1 of the guys was already in isolation and the other guy is not a star. It would take many more positive tests to postpone it.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Yeah, I think it will be ok for Sunday, but just in case something major happens between now & then, the best solution at this point would be to cancel the game outright, go to the 8 team playoff, which would be perfect since none of the 10-5 teams deserve to miss the playoffs to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad