OT: 2020 NFL and NCAAF thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
DAL is the NYR of the NFL. Too much attention and too much glitz and glamour. It hurts the team's ability to win. Then add in the looming presence of Jones which undercuts anything the coach or team executives might do and you have a perpetually underachieving team. Players in HOU are fairly anonymous other than Watt from what I've witnessed. Players in NO are treated like family members which is different from idolization and being treated like a star. All players want to win, but winning in the NFL requires buy in at a very self sacrificial level which is hard to achieve if anytime you aren't happy with the coach you can go cry to the owner.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
DAL is the NYR of the NFL. Too much attention and too much glitz and glamour. It hurts the team's ability to win. Then add in the looming presence of Jones which undercuts anything the coach or team executives might do and you have a perpetually underachieving team. Players in HOU are fairly anonymous other than Watt from what I've witnessed. Players in NO are treated like family members which is different from idolization and being treated like a star. All players want to win, but winning in the NFL requires buy in at a very self sacrificial level which is hard to achieve if anytime you aren't happy with the coach you can go cry to the owner.
Excellent point about the Saints in particular.

For those who've never been in or around the Superdome during a game I can't recommend it highly enough. Frankly, I've never seen anything like it in the US and family is a very apt description.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Excellent point about the Saints in particular.

For those who've never been in or around the Superdome during a game I can't recommend it highly enough. Frankly, I've never seen anything like it in the US and family is a very apt description.

I've been in numerous stadiums in different sports in big moments. I have never experienced anything like the Superdome against PIT in 2019. The last drive of the game for PIT. It sounded like a jet taking off right in front of you for about three or four straight minutes. Typically there is a rhythm to the yelling. It starts when the visiting offense gets to the line. That game it didn't seem to subside for more than a second or two after a play and picked up as soon as PIT went to the huddle. Really a singular experience in all my years of attending pro sporting events. As for the family element, it has to be seen to understand it. People in NO don't often stop the players for autographs. They typically leave them alone and if they do interact it's to chat with them like a friend you haven't seen in a long time.

We were fortunate enough to have dinner one night with the NO defensive line coach. My youngest son had a nice chat with him about how to properly use Sheldon Rankins. It was hysterical. The coach was sitting there listening to a young teen pontificate on the gap splitting interior d-lineman over the block eating defensive lineman. Maybe the coach was just being nice but they chatted and the coach actually agreed with my son on some points and offered some nuance on others. It was all I could do not to laugh at the table. The coach also seemed genuinely surprised at one point my son made which I guess surprised him to hear it coming from a young fan. Really a great moment. No selfie. No adulation. No autographs. Just a friendly discussion. That probably doesn't happen in most other NFL markets.

It is also funny to see Payton interact with the local fans. He has a bit of a chip on his shoulder since his marriage breakup was covered by the local media and he is somewhat guarded compared to when he first arrived in the area. That said, he can still have fun moments. Once he went for two early in a game where it came back to haunt the team in a close loss. The next day he was in Whole Foods shopping and the guy helping him behind the counter commented on going for two so early in the game. Probably a bit critical of the decision. Payton at first ignores it and walks away from the counter but then he gets annoyed and goes back to the counter and yells a bit at the guy about not criticizing the way he cuts the steaks. Really funny. Again, nobody in the store asked for a selfie or autograph but they will talk about the game and offer their own opinions even if they aren't all positive. Again, it's just a different vibe. A couple of years ago, Brees walked home with some kids after a training camp practice and Teddy Bridgewater asked for a lift to the stadium one Sunday morning when his motorcycle apparently wouldn't start.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I've been in numerous stadiums in different sports in big moments. I have never experienced anything like the Superdome against PIT in 2019. The last drive of the game for PIT. It sounded like a jet taking off right in front of you for about three or four straight minutes. Typically there is a rhythm to the yelling. It starts when the visiting offense gets to the line. That game it didn't seem to subside for more than a second or two after a play and picked up as soon as PIT went to the huddle. Really a singular experience in all my years of attending pro sporting events. As for the family element, it has to be seen to understand it. People in NO don't often stop the players for autographs. They typically leave them alone and if they do interact it's to chat with them like a friend you haven't seen in a long time.

We were fortunate enough to have dinner one night with the NO defensive line coach. My youngest son had a nice chat with him about how to properly use Sheldon Rankins. It was hysterical. The coach was sitting there listening to a young teen pontificate on the gap splitting interior d-lineman over the block eating defensive lineman. Maybe the coach was just being nice but they chatted and the coach actually agreed with my son on some points and offered some nuance on others. It was all I could do not to laugh at the table. The coach also seemed genuinely surprised at one point my son made which I guess surprised him to hear it coming from a young fan. Really a great moment. No selfie. No adulation. No autographs. Just a friendly discussion. That probably doesn't happen in most other NFL markets.

It is also funny to see Payton interact with the local fans. He has a bit of a chip on his shoulder since his marriage breakup was covered by the local media and he is somewhat guarded compared to when he first arrived in the area. That said, he can still have fun moments. Once he went for two early in a game where it came back to haunt the team in a close loss. The next day he was in Whole Foods shopping and the guy helping him behind the counter commented on going for two so early in the game. Probably a bit critical of the decision. Payton at first ignores it and walks away from the counter but then he gets annoyed and goes back to the counter and yells a bit at the guy about not criticizing the way he cuts the steaks. Really funny. Again, nobody in the store asked for a selfie or autograph but they will talk about the game and offer their own opinions even if they aren't all positive. Again, it's just a different vibe. A couple of years ago, Brees walked home with some kids after a training camp practice and Teddy Bridgewater asked for a lift to the stadium one Sunday morning when his motorcycle apparently wouldn't start.
Every last word of this sounds accurate. I was there in I think 2014 when they were well out of contention and had a losing record. The scene outside of the stadium alone was a sight to behold. All of downtown shut, smokers, crayfish boils, bands, and full bars everywhere.

"Hey, how much for the gin and tonic and the po boy?", "What? Eat and drink my friend. No one charges around here."

The setup they have outside with the projector is second to none as well.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Every last word of this sounds accurate. I was there in I think 2014 when they were well out of contention and had a losing record. The scene outside of the stadium alone was a sight to behold. All of downtown shut, smokers, crayfish boils, bands, and full bars everywhere.

"Hey, how much for the gin and tonic and the po boy?", "What? Eat and drink my friend. No one charges around here."

The setup they have outside with the projector is second to none as well.

It's the only NFL market I'm aware of where a full crowd of home team fans will welcome and be kind to fans of other teams with the exception of Falcons fans. You can wear a Giants or Jets jersey and if you smile and offer the odd "Who Dat" the game experience will be great win or lose....

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
It's the only NFL market I'm aware of where a full crowd of home team fans will welcome and be kind to fans of other teams with the exception of Falcons fans. You can wear a Giants or Jets jersey and if you smile and offer the odd "Who Dat" the game experience will be great win or lose....
Not sure I can fly with that as I have no idea who Texans or Bengals fans actually hate, but I'll roll with it.

I'll also walk into any stadium wearing blue not named Lincoln Financial.

Play stupid games (with animals)...

However, I would wear a Jets jersey anywhere.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
What a waste of a first overall pick. CMC has played 3 damn games this year. Week 12 he might be back! Nope, give him the bye to get fully healthy, he'll be back week 14. Now he injured his quad during practice last week and is out this week. Unreal. Wonder if I even make it to week 15 if he'll play.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Both NY teams might be better off playing their current backups at this point, well if the object is to win for the Jets anyway (lol).

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Dolphins showed me something today....didn't expect a win but to go toe to toe with the champs missing basically your entire stable of skill position players is really impressive

Tua is gonna be a good one

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The inverse is true of Washington, they aren't doing shit if Alex Smith is back on the shelf, Haskins tried his darndest to give the game away in the second half but the D wouldn't let him.

My3Sons

Sponsor
So PHI beat NO today. Both teams missed makeable field goals and NO had a chance to recover an onside kick at the end that might have given them a chance to go for a tie. Both teams playing with similar running QBs and both looked pretty meh. NO coaching was awful and the refs might not have even covered the game. I know the league sent a memo that offensive holding was going to be deemphasized but at this point it's too blatant too often and the refusal to call it makes the refs worse than usual and NFL reffing is only barely better than NBA reffing to begin with. I am at the point where I do think the league office is nudging games on some level. The penalty disparities are ridiculous and don't make sense with the on field product.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Eh there's just too many rules and too much action for six refs (who aren't even full time) to follow on the field. That and the fact I don't think reffing is so much geared toward teams as it is geared toward offense.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Eh there's just too many rules and too much action for six refs (who aren't even full time) to follow on the field. That and the fact I don't think reffing is so much geared toward teams as it is geared toward offense.

The NBA overtly gives calls to better teams and name players. It’s not that much of a stretch that the NFL does the same. The stats suggest the penalties aren’t called fairly. It’s football and there are penalties on every single play. They should even out they shouldn’t consistently favor certain teams and hurt others. Just my thought.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I can't believe pit has one loss. This is the most mediocre looking 12-1 team I've ever seen.

What I learned today is basically that the Superbowl is KCs to lose.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I can't believe pit has one loss. This is the most mediocre looking 12-1 team I've ever seen.

What I learned today is basically that the Superbowl is KCs to lose.

I'll be disappointed if it isn't GB vs KC. The remaining teams are all super flawed.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
At some point, Darnold has to show that he has will his team a couple of TDs. He's Tannehill, at best.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
At some point, Darnold has to show that he has will his team a couple of TDs. He's Tannehill, at best.
Needs to get away from Gase who is an offensive black hole. Tannehill got away from gase and went from average to great

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

He did, last week.

And for reference:

Adam Gase, offensive guru, has no idea what he is doing. I will never be more infuriated with this organization than what they've done over the last two years. Letting Maccagnan set the team back (again), bringing in Gase, ruining Darnold. We're normally one of the laughing stocks of the league but even the Browns have finally gotten themselves in order.

We're a complete shitshow.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Dolphins showed me something today....didn't expect a win but to go toe to toe with the champs missing basically your entire stable of skill position players is really impressive

Tua is gonna be a good one
Showed what exactly ? Showed a team who couldn’t close and a qb who couldn’t win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad