OT: 2020 NFL and NCAAF thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I love it as a Jets fan, I had Becton as the 2nd best LT available in the draft with immense potential and I had Mims as the 5th best WR. Davis is a savy pick, swiss army knife with 4.28 speed, can play anywhere with that size speed combo. I trust Williams if he wanted Zuniga, crazy twitch and athleticism, possibly solves our EDGE problem.

Next up give me:
120 - Netane Muti IOL
125 - Troy Pride Jr
129 - Tyler Johnson WR

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Mind...blown

94504934_3288901974489801_5167567705514967040_o.jpg

Reactions: Ripshot 43

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Can’t say I disagree with this although the problem is easily assuaged (for the NFL) by all the money the NFL gets for the weekend long extravaganza in each city

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
My opinion is that if Brady really wanted to win he’d have stayed in NE. I think this move is more about making sure he outlasts Brees and can grab those personal records.
I think people underestimate how belicheck runs the organization. I think he just got sick of everything and how strict it is, now I’m no Tom Brady or even came close to playing at that level but in high school I played for a coach who was 374-77 and he ran the program with super strictness and demanded the best out of you and that no matter what you did as a player you could always get better, it got to the point where I was a Sr and was questioning if I even liked football anymore. I think the pressure and bullshit ultimately made Brady leave, no coincidence that gronk is back either

Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
To me this is the biggest story of the draft so far. Curious how it plays out.
I cannot for the life of me understand what they're doing. It's been 15 years since they picked a WR in the first round. Aaron Rodgers has not so subtly mentioned the need for weapons so they draft a QB, a RB, and a HB with their first three picks. HE STILL HAS 4 YEARS LEFT ON HIS DEAL. What was the point? They've got two decent RBs already on the roster. It's almost like they want to force him out.
How has everyone felt about their teams drafts thus far?

I know we have Giants, Jets, Dolphins and Bucs fans on here pretty regularly.
Bucs fan. I love our first two picks. Wirfs will be an absolute stud and Winfield has future All Pro written all over him. They probably reached a bit for Vaughn but he should be pretty good spelling Jones. Tyler Johnson in the 5th seems like a steal for a guy who has extremely good stats albeit with some issues as far as drops. Davis in the 6th provides some much needed depth on the DL and he had a solid final year at Nebraska. Russell tore his ACL twice so that's a coin toss. Calais should provide some spark in the kick return game that they haven't had in years while bringing some competition to the RB group. Overall I'd say it's probably a B+ draft with two future Pro Bowlers (hopefully) in Wirfs and Winfield and a possible sleeper in Johnson.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Giants draft was fine. If no trade back, Thomas was the tackle I wanted. Didn't like safety in second round. Don't care if he allegedly fell. Thought there was good value at Edge, which remains a critical need. Only way I would prioritize a safety there would be if he had elite or near elite cover skills.

I still give Gettleman a B- for this draft and completely disagree with anyone (which is everyone) that rates it higher. You have to factor in the moronic Leonard Williams trade. As I said at the time, it was a lose-lose trade and that remains the case. This trade impacted this draft substantially, as the Giants would have been able to target Josh Jones, Zack Baun, Hennessy, Cushenberry, etc etc with the 3rd they gifted the Jets.

Leonard Williams remains tagged and is disputing his tag amount (DE vs DT). Even if he does perform, the Giants will have to pay him huge bucks based on flash in the pan production.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I cannot for the life of me understand what they're doing. It's been 15 years since they picked a WR in the first round. Aaron Rodgers has not so subtly mentioned the need for weapons so they draft a QB, a RB, and a HB with their first three picks. HE STILL HAS 4 YEARS LEFT ON HIS DEAL. What was the point? They've got two decent RBs already on the roster. It's almost like they want to force him out.

Bucs fan. I love our first two picks. Wirfs will be an absolute stud and Winfield has future All Pro written all over him. They probably reached a bit for Vaughn but he should be pretty good spelling Jones. Tyler Johnson in the 5th seems like a steal for a guy who has extremely good stats albeit with some issues as far as drops. Davis in the 6th provides some much needed depth on the DL and he had a solid final year at Nebraska. Russell tore his ACL twice so that's a coin toss. Calais should provide some spark in the kick return game that they haven't had in years while bringing some competition to the RB group. Overall I'd say it's probably a B+ draft with two future Pro Bowlers (hopefully) in Wirfs and Winfield and a possible sleeper in Johnson.

I think Wirfs needs to clean up his feet first, but I think he can be a great lineman in the NFL. He's a freak athlete so I think he'll be fine, but from what I've seen, his feet need to be cleaned up a little.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think Wirfs needs to clean up his feet first, but I think he can be a great lineman in the NFL. He's a freak athlete so I think he'll be fine, but from what I've seen, his feet need to be cleaned up a little.

at a minimum he should clip those old man toenails and trim back some of that hobbit like excess hair.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
at a minimum he should clip those old man toenails and trim back some of that hobbit like excess hair.

Lol that should do the trick!

The big thing I've seen from him is because he is so fast he tends to over set the defender on his pass sets. Takes one too many steps and then gets caught and has to make up for it. He has to calm his pass sets down a bit and not over set the defenders or he'll get eaten alive in the nfl.

If you watch tape on Patriots tackle Isaiah Wynn you'll see what great feet look like. He's only 6-2 and starts at left tackle for the Patriots. He makes up his lack of size in that spot with his feet as they are damn near perfect. I actually did a breakdown of him when he was at UGA for my linemen to see. Wish I could post it but my comments don't translate over with it

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Highly recommend the ESPN article written by Alex Smiths wife on his life threatening injury last year. Some amazing first hand information that I hadn’t heard from this story. He’s lucky to be alive.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's not just an article, it was an hour-long E60 special on TV. Which is worth watching if you're either not too squeamish to see the pictures of his leg or can turn away at an instant when they do come up.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Lol that should do the trick!

The big thing I've seen from him is because he is so fast he tends to over set the defender on his pass sets. Takes one too many steps and then gets caught and has to make up for it. He has to calm his pass sets down a bit and not over set the defenders or he'll get eaten alive in the nfl.

If you watch tape on Patriots tackle Isaiah Wynn you'll see what great feet look like. He's only 6-2 and starts at left tackle for the Patriots. He makes up his lack of size in that spot with his feet as they are damn near perfect. I actually did a breakdown of him when he was at UGA for my linemen to see. Wish I could post it but my comments don't translate over with it

It's amazing how technical the art of blocking is. I've watched Terron Armstead for years and when he isn't injured he's one of the best and it's his agility and quickness that makes him that way.

Reactions: Davegarri

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
It's amazing how technical the art of blocking is. I've watched Terron Armstead for years and when he isn't injured he's one of the best and it's his agility and quickness that makes him that way.

There is so much that goes into it. I've coached OL for years and I'm sure there's still so much I don't know. Pass setting is such an art, it takes tons of time to become good at it. So much goes into it and so much can go wrong lol

My3Sons

Sponsor
There is so much that goes into it. I've coached OL for years and I'm sure there's still so much I don't know. Pass setting is such an art, it takes tons of time to become good at it. So much goes into it and so much can go wrong lol

I think cut blocking should be taken out of the game. I’ve never liked that whole dive at guys legs thing. It looks dangerous to me.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I think cut blocking should be taken out of the game. I’ve never liked that whole dive at guys legs thing. It looks dangerous to me.

Eh it's not as bad as you think. The aiming point is the player's thigh board, not the knee. I used to cut people all the time when I played and coach my guys to cut in certain situations and have never seen any injuries caused by it.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Eh it's not as bad as you think. The aiming point is the player's thigh board, not the knee. I used to cut people all the time when I played and coach my guys to cut in certain situations and have never seen any injuries caused by it.

I imagine it gets highlighted and n tv when they miss and hit a knee. Still seems sort of risky to me given how big the guys are but I defer to you. Thanks for the insight.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I imagine it gets highlighted and n tv when they miss and hit a knee. Still seems sort of risky to me given how big the guys are but I defer to you. Thanks for the insight.

You also have to think that these dudes are coming out of three and four point stances and staying as low as possible. They are very low low and knees aren't really the point of contact when getting cut, it's your thigh.

The dangerous cut blocks are when running backs cut an edge rusher or backer, that has been outlawed in a lot of leagues, which I really agree with. Those defenders are standing upright and running backs basically just dive at your knees cause they're little bitches.

My3Sons

Sponsor
You also have to think that these dudes are coming out of three and four point stances and staying as low as possible. They are very low low and knees aren't really the point of contact when getting cut, it's your thigh.

The dangerous cut blocks are when running backs cut an edge rusher or backer, that has been outlawed in a lot of leagues, which I really agree with. Those defenders are standing upright and running backs basically just dive at your knees cause they're little bitches.

Id also add something along the lines of a targeting penalty to the NFL but I’d expand it to eject someone who forces out an opposing player due to concussion protocol on a play involving any personal foul. Too many safeties still launch themselves at receivers for my taste.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Id also add something along the lines of a targeting penalty to the NFL but I’d expand it to eject someone who forces out an opposing player due to concussion protocol on a play involving any personal foul. Too many safeties still launch themselves at receivers for my taste.

Yeah I've been lobbying for targeting penalties in high school and youth levels too for a long time. Kids need to learn at a young age that playing like that is not alright and unfortunately some of the crazy youth coaches need to realize that as well. No one has time for dumb shit like that anymore.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Yeah I've been lobbying for targeting penalties in high school and youth levels too for a long time. Kids need to learn at a young age that playing like that is not alright and unfortunately some of the crazy youth coaches need to realize that as well. No one has time for dumb shit like that anymore.

Have you had to punish your players for targeting?

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Have you had to punish your players for targeting?

No because we don't teach that bs. We teach near shoulder through thigh or in other words "eyes through thighs"

I did have a running back a few years ago lower his head as the focal point of contact and knocked out a corner for the other team. I told the ref to flag him for helmet to helmet contact to teach the kid a lesson, then went through it in film.

In my years of coaching that is the only real helmet contact we have had our players commit. I wish I could say the same about other teams we play.

Reactions: tr83 and My3Sons

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Seahawks fan.

I have given up on draft evaluations. The organization does what it whats and doesn’t care what ESPN’s Mel Kiper or Tod McShay think. Biggest “shockers”, not trading out of the first and I think there are 15 TE’s on the roster. I recommend checking out the Will Ferrell skit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad