HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
That's how I see it too.

And thankfully, it's a feasible challenge for the Bergevin administration, and if they pull it off, Habs will be in a position to compete.

Mantha is the wet dream.

Not sure if something like Domi + Poehling + 2nd rounder(s) moves the needle though.

It’s gonna be tough getting both, godspeed Marc lol

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Mantha is the wet dream.

Not sure if something like Domi + Poehling + 2nd rounder(s) moves the needle though.

It’s gonna be tough getting both, godspeed Marc lol

I think that between Domi, Poehling, 1st rounders, 2nd rounders, and the glut of defensive prospects the Habs can pull off getting both a winger such as Mantha/Anderson/Poulin (or Hall) and a dman like Brodin or OEL.

Then I would post "plan the parade" without irony.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
So... if we sign Mete 2.5M per season (can't imagine him getting much more than this), and Evans 900K, it leaves us with 10.5M to play with and only Domi to sign.
so we can realistically trade Domi for a 4MD and have 6M to spend on a winger... Or we could trade Domi for futures and have a healthy run at one of the wingers on the UFA market.

Still many possibilities.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- This is with Alzner in the AHL
- Domi not traded or with a contract yet. He's the wild card
- Maybe we try to sign Hall. Maybe not
- Maybe we try to trade for OEL? Maybe not
- Maybe we try to trade for Gaudreau. Maybe not
- Maybe we sign Kovalchuk and call it a day.

One thing to notice is the potential ELC bonuses. Habs likely keep $3M of cap space free cause deferring that to the next season is a problem for us. But without Domi, we have 23 guys and almost $10M in cap space left still. This is not about lines or likeing the roster or not liking the roster. It's about how our cap space looks after adding Allen and without Domi

4iVXJPC.png

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So... if we sign Mete 2.5M per season (can't imagine him getting much more than this), and Evans 900K, it leaves us with 10.5M to play with and only Domi to sign.
so we can realistically trade Domi for a 4MD and have 6M to spend on a winger... Or we could trade Domi for futures and have a healthy run at one of the wingers on the UFA market.

Still many possibilities.

I have all 3 of Mete, Juulsen, and Evans getting around $800k on one way contracts. Why do you think Mete gets $2.5M?

Beaulieu has better ELC numbers and he only got a two year deal at $1M. Remember, ELC are two way contracts and usually guys like Mete get their one way contract but $1M or under.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I have all 3 of Mete, Juulsen, and Evans getting around $800k on one way contracts. Why do you think Mete gets $2.5M?

Mete is not getting an AHL-level contract after playing in the NHL for three seasons. 2.5M is an absolute worst-case scenario in my opinion. He likely gets the same kind of deal as Kulak, maybe with less terms.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mete is not getting an AHL-level contract after playing in the NHL for three seasons. 2.5M is an absolute worst-case scenario in my opinion. He likely gets the same kind of deal as Kulak, maybe with less terms.

Nah... you got that wrong. Go look at what Beaulieu got after his ELC. It's not a AHL contract. It's a one way NHL contract. $7000 vs $700 a game is a big difference for guys like Mete, Juulsen, and Evans. I'm assuming you know the difference between a ELC that has different NHL/AHL salary vs a NHL one way contract?

Mete has no leverage here. It would be similar to Beaulieu's situation

It's possible that Mete can get $1.5M ish. But $2.5M? Doubt that but it would depend on term.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Updated the OP with the trade for Jake Allen.

I also updated it by removing the Washington 3rd (#86) + Chicago 7th (#202) from the draft list.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Nah... you got that wrong. Go look at what Beaulieu got after his ELC. It's not a AHL contract. It's a one way NHL contract. $7000 vs $700 a game is a big difference for guys like Mete, Juulsen, and Evans.

Mete has no leverage here

How many game had Beaulieu played in the NHL after his ELC? He had all of 11 points in 81 games. Mete has 31 points and played more than twice the amount of games (171). Much more proven as a player, doesn't have all the attitude/behavior issues Beaulieu had, and Beaulieu still had a 1 millions $ deal. Plus, the cap is now higher than it was back then, and 3rd pairing D all fetch 3M+ on the UFA market nowadays.

Mete is certainly getting more than 1.5M / season. 2.5M is stretching it but it's always how I predict future lineups. By overpaying unsigned players rather than going with wishful salaries.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How many game had Beaulieu played in the NHL after his ELC? He had all of 11 points in 81 games. Mete has 31 points and played more than twice the amount of games (171). Much more proven as a player, doesn't have all the attitude/behavior issues Beaulieu had, and Beaulieu still had a 1 millions $ deal. Plus, the cap is now higher than it was back then, and 3rd pairing D all fetch 3M+ on the UFA market nowadays.

Mete is certainly getting more than 1.5M / season. 2.5M is stretching it but it's always how I predict future lineups. By overpaying unsigned players rather than going with wishful salaries.

A 1 or 2 year contract on Mete is closer to $1M AAV than it is to $2.5M. You have the Habs paying Mete close to Lehkonen who the Habs value more in his ELC years and he proved more than Mete too.

Bergevin will play hard ball with Mete and it's normal. Mete gets his guaranteed one way NHL money and they might settle on one year. I will be surprised if Mete gets more than $1.5M. I have him around $800k for one year. Beaulieu was a bigger part of our future plans after his ELC back when vs Mete after his ELC.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Now that we have a solid backup we can concentrate on the 3 others part that we need to improve

- Goal scoring winger
- Size
- A good LD

Around 13.5M to play with; let's say 11.5M after signing Mete. You need to keep a couple of millions to fill the lineup. I see two possibilities: We fix the wing and size, or the LHD and Size.

LHD + Size:
Deal involving Domi and Brodin: 7M available.
Signing a 4th line winger with size/grit: 5.5M available.

Scoring + Size:
Dealing Domi for futures: 11.5M available
Signing a 4th line winger with size/grit: 10M available
Signing Dadonov to a 3 years contract: 4.5M available

Unless you go for plan A and actually bring back Kovalchuk for 2M + bonuses? Or else you're looking at a scenario like this:

Scoring + LHD:
Deal involving Domi and the rights to Zadorov: 8M available
Trading a mid-round pick to Tampa for Alex Killorn: 3.5M available

Then again, you can still buyout Alzner and/or trade Byron away. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Around 13.5M to play with; let's say 11.5M after signing Mete. You need to keep a couple of millions to fill the lineup. I see two possibilities: We fix the wing and size, or the LHD and Size.

LHD + Size:
Deal involving Domi and Brodin: 7M available.
Signing a 4th line winger with size/grit: 5.5M available.

Scoring + Size:
Dealing Domi for futures: 11.5M available
Signing a 4th line winger with size/grit: 10M available
Signing Dadonov to a 3 years contract: 4.5M available

Unless you go for plan A and actually bring back Kovalchuk for 2M + bonuses?

I don't think Mete will be back but you still have alote of $$ and don't forget that Alzner contract won't be there to. Byron can be traded to if we really miss $$ what I don't think will happen

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I don't think Mete will be back but you still have alote of $$ and don't forget that Alzner contract won't be there to. Byron can be traded to if we really miss $$ what I don't think will happen

The 13.5M to play with takes into account Alzner is buried to the AHL.

Reactions: Vachon23

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
upload_2020-9-2_14-6-59.png

That's a lineup I would most definitely be comfortable with. Granlund has tons of upside despite a subpar season with Nashville. Hartman would add some much-needed jam to the 4th line. And Brodin would really solidify that D-core. That lineup has 23 players and is still 1.1M under the salary cap. Once again, in no way is it a Stanley Cup contender on paper, but this is a deep team that is definitely playoffs material.

The only trade that was done was Domi and a 2nd round pick for Brodin and Hartman. I would not mind adding Mete to that package if that's what it takes.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
View attachment 365471

That's a lineup I would most definitely be comfortable with. Granlund has tons of upside despite a subpar season with Nashville. Hartman would add some much-needed jam to the 4th line. And Brodin would really solidify that D-core. That lineup has 23 players and is still 1.1M under the salary cap. Once again, in no way is it a Stanley Cup contender on paper, but this is a deep team that is definitely playoffs material.

The only trade that was done was Domi and a 2nd round pick for Brodin and Hartman. I would not mind adding Mete to that package if that's what it takes.

I don't hate it but I would prefer an other winger then Granlund. I like Granlund but I don't think he's what we need. I would prefer a bigger player and a goal scorer. I really like the add of Brodin though and Hartman would bring a dimension that we don't have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad