Jeddah
Trade a lot for ekman-larsson
16th pick, 2nd rounder, juulsen, poehling, tatar

Something like that

Sign and trade domi for pick(s)

Then sign taylor hall for around 9 a year

And we are contenders

We wouldn't even be contenders.
OEL would definitely improve the defense, but Hall I'm not so sure. It only happened once in the last 6 years that Hall significantly outproduced Tatar of this year. Hall put up 93 pts 3 years ago, outside of that he scored 65pts, which is pretty much the same as Tatar this year, and the rest of the time it's under that.
To that you also remove Domi?...we might actually worsen our forwards.
But for the sake of the argument, let's say Hall is better than both Tatar-Domi, it still isn't much of one.
So I don't think this would even set us as a contender.

Gael

Aug 21, 2020
Do you guys think Byron is coming back next season? If so where does he play? I hate having a guy like that on the fourth line

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Do you guys think Byron is coming back next season? If so where does he play? I hate having a guy like that on the fourth line
Having his on the 4th line would actually be an ideal scenario. Our lack of depth was one of the main reasons for our downfall this season.

Gael

Aug 21, 2020
Having his on the 4th line would actually be an ideal scenario. Our lack of depth was one of the main reasons for our downfall this season.
Hmm I think he's useless on a fourth line and we need to get bigger and more physical. I would trade him for a pick or bottom 6 player

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Please remove Taylor Hall from lineups. He's 28 with 14 career playoff games and that's counting 4 from the play-ins, so 10 real playoff games. He's publicly gone on record saying he wants to win most importantly and now. He's not coming to Mtl, there's not a chance in a chance in hell.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Trade a lot for ekman-larsson
16th pick, 2nd rounder, juulsen, poehling, tatar

Something like that

Sign and trade domi for pick(s)

Then sign taylor hall for around 9 a year

And we are contenders
Do you want to be like Toronto? Because this is exactly what they did when the rushed their rebuild by prematurely going all in and trading for vets.

Reactions: Archijerej

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Depending on how Philly does rest of these playoffs, should they lose to Isles, I can see them focus on injecting speed in the lineup over offseason. Byron could potentially be a fit, but I suspect they will go after a more costly and more talented local boy in Gaudreau.

I don’t think Byron will be shopped but wouldn’t shock me if MB is willing to move his contract for a young asset.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We've been hearing that OEL might be available, but I'd rather a UFA who only costs money and no other assets. I know Boston always seems to get their guys to sign for below market but why not give OEL's contract (7 years, 8M+) to Krug?
Krug would be a huge boost on the PP but he's a player who needs sheltering.

Not the player you want playing next to Weber for 23 mins a game imo.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We need to stop settling for the lesser options. That's what our team is mostly comprised of, the lesser options.
Agree with you here...I personally don't think the Habs are going to be able to acquire that all-purpose LHD.

They're not getting Provorov or Heiskanen, etc.

OEL is rumored to be on the block every year. If he moves the price will be astronomical and I think his arrow is pointing down.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Brodin-Petry would be a legitimate first pairing.

Mete is in a different stratosphere compared to Brodin. You're way off here. Brodin would stabilize the left side of our defense for years.

On a very weak team :laugh:

Mete and Brodin at the same age had the exact same output. Brodin has size over Mete, but Mete is a notch higher in transition play.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Does he really bring more than Chiarot? Chiarot has shown that he can get the puck moving better than I think most had anticipated. No doubt he'd be a good pick up, but I'm not confident he'd be enough to put the Habs in a different spot than they have been.

Chiarot's defensive play is extremely weak compared to Brodin.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Addressing the offense won't do us much good if we go into next season with the same blueline and continue riding Weber and Chiarot the way we did this year. The only thing that can save us is if Romanov performs like a top-4 defenceman right from the get go.

Our offense, at least for the regular season, can be improved by hiring a competent powerplay coach and changing the offensive zone system to fit the players we have. If we do that and if we can replace Domi's 50 points through free agency, there's not going to be any problems scoring goals.

Anyway, this Brodin talk is purely theoretical. Minnesota is not going to let him go for Domi.

The problem with our blue line is both defensive and offensive. Brodin only fixes a part of it. We lack puck movers and a QB. And overall defense

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
We've been hearing that OEL might be available, but I'd rather a UFA who only costs money and no other assets. I know Boston always seems to get their guys to sign for below market but why not give OEL's contract (7 years, 8M+) to Krug?

Because Krug sucks. At least you can trust OEL at even strength.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Laine and Anderson would be my targets in the off-season. Laine would take a lot to get. Domi, 16th, Mete and one of Romanov, Norlander or CC. I would try to keep this years first and trade next years first. Its a lot but the habs need a young goal scorer with size. Not sure on Andersons value.

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
How am I way off? Have you looked at Brodin’s offensive numbers? Stabilize the left side to a defensive mission it looks like.

Brodin is top 3D, if not top pair. Mete is barely a bottom pair D at this point.

Brodin had 28 pts in 69 games which projecting to 33 pts in 82 games. Those points are almost entirely get at 5 on 5. Almost no PP time because they have Spurgeon and Dumba who are offensive dmen and Suter who can do the job also. This points production, 5 on 5, are on par with Petry and Weber stats.

I wouldn't be surprise he gets to 40 pts a season with a bit of PP time.

Defensively, on top of being better than freaking Mete, he is, well, ELITE. One of the best in the league no doubt about that.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Ideally...a LHD who is sturdy enough to handle defensive assignments with Weber but mobile enough to be able to skate the puck out of the zone and support offense.

This is not Jonas Brodin, agreed with you there. He only covers one half of that equation, which we already have with Chiarot.

Personally, I don't think it's a role the Habs are going to be able to fill in the immediate, they're going to have to do it by committee and hope that Romanov can bring some stability to Chiarot/Kulak/Mete left side.

Up front is where I think the more pressing need is and I think targets are much more attainable on that front.

Except Brodin is one of the good PMD in the league and his 5 on 5 pts production was on par with Weber's and Petry's last year. Now if you want a PP quaterback on top of having all the quality of Brodin, well, good luck. There are none disponible, except Pietrangelo. But we all know we stand no chance of signing him.

dummy11

Jan 27, 2019
Do you want to be like Toronto? Because this is exactly what they did when the rushed their rebuild by prematurely going all in and trading for vets.

You need a full roster to win. Toronto has 5 players. Montreal is deep.

How is it comparable? When Toronto has arguably no elite D and we would have Weber and OEl. And Petry as a number 3

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Of course he's coming back. Who would take on that contract?

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Would you guys be willing to deal anyone from Suzuki, KK, Romanov and Norlinder to get a Laine deal done?

If you’re Winnipeg, I suspect Domi or Danault plus this year’s first round pick are not the starting point.

Hence why I have no illusions about Laine unless we pay up substantially.

Norlinder and Caufield would be disponible for a guy like Laine. Romanov?? Don't think so. Suzuki and KK are a hard no.

dummy11

Jan 27, 2019
We wouldn't even be contenders.
OEL would definitely improve the defense, but Hall I'm not so sure. It only happened once in the last 6 years that Hall significantly outproduced Tatar of this year. Hall put up 93 pts 3 years ago, outside of that he scored 65pts, which is pretty much the same as Tatar this year, and the rest of the time it's under that.
To that you also remove Domi?...we might actually worsen our forwards.
But for the sake of the argument, let's say Hall is better than both Tatar-Domi, it still isn't much of one.
So I don't think this would even set us as a contender.

If we're arguing that Hall and Tatar are equivalent let's not talk.

As for Domi, do you think he's staying? Him sucking in the playoffs and now changing agents. Sounds like he's gone.

A core of hall, weber, oel, price

Then big side pieces gallagher, petry

The big potentials kotka, suzuki

Above average danault, drouin

I think on paper its 100% a contender

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Brodin is top 3D, if not top pair. Mete is barely a bottom pair D at this point.

Brodin had 28 pts in 69 games which projecting to 33 pts in 82 games. Those points are almost entirely get at 5 on 5. Almost no PP time because they have Spurgeon and Dumba who are offensive dmen and Suter who can do the job also. This points production, 5 on 5, are on par with Petry and Weber stats.

I wouldn't be surprise he gets to 40 pts a season with a bit of PP time.

Defensively, on top of being better than freaking Mete, he is, well, ELITE. One of the best in the league no doubt about that.

You're overrating Brodin who's played most of his career behind one of the league's best, Ryan Suter. Brodin is strong defensively, on a second pairing.

Also, he hasn't been much productive until last season. You count it as a new norm, when it could simply be a blip on the radar, a career year never to be matched again.

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
And some guy named Romanov... the D is not the issue.

Yes it is. Weber and Chiarot played too much and it shows in the season. They looked better in the playoffs because of a long break. But that situation won't happen again. At least i hope not.

The D was abysmal already at mid-season. I'm sorry but if we are to not rebuild and try to be competitive with Weber and Price, we better get them help right now.

Reactions: Archijerej
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad