HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think that will happen. If only one of the four 2018 draftees signs, I believe it will be Hillis.

If a second one signs, I think they'll go with Houde.

I'm just baffled that it is taking so long. The chl season is over. The NHL has been done for weeks. What discussions need to take place?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm just baffled that it is taking so long. The chl season is over. The NHL has been done for weeks. What discussions need to take place?

I wouldn't say I'm baffled. But I would have expected them to have signed at least one of them by now.

But with the CHL seasons over, and Habs surely not signing all four, I imagine their decision making has been altered since they were maybe looking to evaluate them a little longer as the seasons were coming to a close and the playoffs starting.

- Hillis missed a lot last year so maybe that was a reason they wanted to evaluate him a little more this season?

- Houde missed significant time this year, when he was Chicoutimi's top scorer all season. Maybe they wanted to see how he'd be in his return and into the playoffs.

Personally, I'd sign both. They'd be my two choices over Fonstad and McShane.

With Caufield and Harris staying in NCAA next year, which were two contracts slots possibly reserved for them, that leaves an opening to sign a second of the CHL prospects.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I'm not sure I trust The Score too much. But you never know.

I would welcome him. It would also help with the Habs's LD. And at worst, he can be a stop-gap and allow the Habs to be patient with their prospects, particularly with Romanov and not rush him to the top pair.

But one note I noticed mentioned on Twitter, on Instagram, the only NHL team he follows are the New York Rangers. It may mean nothing. But it may also offer a hint on where he will sign.

Edit: Although there's this:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm not sure I trust The Score too much. But you never know.

I would welcome him. It would also help with the Habs's LD. And at worst, he can be a stop-gap and allow the Habs to be patient with their prospects, particularly with Romanov and not rush him to the top pair.

But one note I noticed mentioned on Twitter, on Instagram, the only NHL team he follows are the New York Rangers. It may mean nothing. But it may also offer a hint on where he will sign.

Edit: Although there's this:

I honestly don’t know anything about him other than what I read in the article. He seems as you said, a good candidate to be a stop gap while youngsters develop and can step in. At worst, he’d suck and go away and at best could play as a top 4 to solidify the D. In any case, considering we can’t get any NHL players to come here so may as well give it a go.

Bergevin seems to have a good eye on KHL players. He wanted Panarin badly but lost out last minute. He was apparently in on Dadonov and lost out. And he’s just signed three more Russians (including Romanov) so he does have the track record. I guess we’ll have to wait and see but seems like it could work if he’s as advertised.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

According to this guy, he also wrote in his article that the Devils, Kings, and Habs are interested. He wrote his article first so I take it The Score got it from there.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
During the lockdown I decided to buy NHL20. I started a franchise mode with Seattle as an expansion team.

I don’t want to scare you guys, but I’m in the 8th season and the Habs have yet to make the playoffs, finishing bottom 5 in 6/8 seasons and never won the lottery.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I played NHL 20 as well and the Habs made the playoffs 8 times in 10 years with 2 Stanley cups and Caufield had 2 seasons of 63 goals and 66 goals so... Yeah NHL 20... Whatever!

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
During the lockdown I decided to buy NHL20. I started a franchise mode with Seattle as an expansion team.

I don’t want to scare you guys, but I’m in the 8th season and the Habs have yet to make the playoffs, finishing bottom 5 in 6/8 seasons and never won the lottery.

They're top in the Atlantic in mine in my first season. Laval is the 2nd best AHL team.

I wouldn't mind that top KHL scoring dman

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If the statement that it's a definite 'no' with the Blue Shirts is true, that's good news for the Habs because he had a genuine tie to three layers on that team, including Kakko.

Hopefully, we can get him. He's worth the flyer.

MOAR Finns! Make the swimming pool more dangerous...

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I played NHL 20 as well and the Habs made the playoffs 8 times in 10 years with 2 Stanley cups and Caufield had 2 seasons of 63 goals and 66 goals so... Yeah NHL 20... Whatever!

how did you get Caufield in the game? Did you create hime yourself? Pretty sure NCAA players can’t be in the game.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
* The season hasn't officially been cancelled. But with some moves happening,
I figured I can start one and keep it going regardless. *

:habs

GM: Marc Bergevin
Head Coach: Claude Julien
Associate Coach: Kirk Muller
Assistant Coaches: Dominique Ducharme & Luke Richardson
Goaltending Coach: Stéphane Waite

- CONTRACTS SIGNED -
Alex Belzile (Signed to 1-Year, 2-Way Deal @ $700K AAV)
Gustav Olofsson (Signed to 1-Year, 2-Way Deal @ $750K AAV)
Laurent Dauphin (Signed to 1-Year, 2-Way Deal @ $700K AAV)
Jesse Ylönen (Signed to 3-Year ELC)
Vasili Demchenko (Signed to 1-Year ELC)
Arsen Khisamutdinov (Signed to 2-Year ELC)

- RFA -

Arbitration Rights
Max Domi
Charles Hudon
Xavier Ouellet
Jake Evans
Lukas Vejdemo
Jacob Lucchini
Joseph Blandisi
Antoine Waked
Andrew Sturtz

No Arbitration Rights
Victor Mete
Noah Juulsen
Michael McNiven
Aaron Luchuk

- UFA -
Dale Weise
Christian Folin
Keith Kinkaid

- PROSPECTS RIGHTS EXPIRING -
Cole Fonstad (Expires June 1st)
Cam Hillis (Expires June 1st)
Allan McShane (Expires June 1st)
Samuel Houde (Expires June 1st)
Arvid Henrikson (Expires June 1st)

- PROSPECTS NEWS -
Mattias Norlinder (signed with Frölunda of the SHL)
Frederik Dichow (signed with Sudbury Wolves of the OHL)

- 2020 DRAFT -
* As things stand right now *

1st Round: #08 (MTL)
2nd Round: #39 (MTL) ; #40 (CHI) ; #61 (STL)
3rd Round: #70 (MTL) ; #89 (WSH)
4th Round: #98 (ANA) ; #101 (MTL) ; #110 (WPG)
5th Round: #132 (MTL) ; #138 (FLA)
6th Round: #163 (MTL)
7th Round: #188 (OTT) ; #195 (CHI)

Nice work!:thumbu:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Caufield also the highest scorer of all time in sim, so.... yeah....

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Anybody know much about him?

Montreal Canadiens: Signing Mikko Lehtonen Would Fill Huge Void On Habs Roster

Lehtonen was the highest scoring defenceman in the KHL this season with 49 points in 60 games. In fact, he was the sixth highest scorer in the entire league. There is no question he would add some scoring punch that is sorely lacking to the left side of the Habs blue line.
Lehtonen was passed over in the 2012 NHL Draft, but he isn’t exactly a late bloomer, he has just decided to not leave Europe. He seems set on moving to the National Hockey League next season.
#Jokerit and Mikko Lehtonen have mutually agreed to terminate the player’s contract.
We all thank Mikko for a great year in Helsinki and wish him all the best in the NHL! #KHL pic.twitter.com/hNbnBHAWcm
— Jokerit Helsinki (@Jokerit_EN) May 1, 2020
He has represented his country on many occasions at the World Juniors, World Championships and Olympic Games. In the past three seasons, he has played in the KHL in Russia, the SHL in Sweden and Liiga in Finland. Before lighting up the KHL, he scored 24 points in 52 games for HV71 in Sweden’s top league and had 29 points in 55 games for Tappara in Finland.
Over the next few months, we will hear of lots of free agents signing out of different leagues in Europe. Lehtonen has the potential to have the biggest NHL impact of all of them. He would fill a huge void on the Habs roster by bringing offence to the left defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad