HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
With St-Louis, trying to get a hometown discount on an already big payroll. Also, didn't actually sign yet. I'd be surprised he would accept this long term, covid or not. On the open market, Pietrangello could easily get 9-10.

Hall will never go for 7.5 in Montreal

To Montreal, nope. Maybe to an actual contender. I still think he gets more though. And agreed on Pietrangelo.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I totally love the idea for large revenue teams especially.

Habs would have the ability to spend over the threshold and pay luxury tax. The luxury tax would then be distributed to small market teams. We would completely do away with the silliness of tax advantages according to a given market. I agree, this is where it should be going.

Love him or hate him what Walsh was saying in that segment does make a lot of sense and the NHL probably would've been in a much better state right now if Goodenow had gotten this luxury tax system included in the CBA like he wanted the year they lost the entire season.

Reactions: Runner77

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
With St-Louis, trying to get a hometown discount on an already big payroll. Also, didn't actually sign yet. I'd be surprised he would accept this long term, covid or not. On the open market, Pietrangello could easily get 9-10.

Hall will never go for 7.5 in Montreal

I'd sign AP 9 per, trade Petry and never look back.
I’d do it too, but not a f*in chance in hell he’d even consider MTL.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Players may be less choosy about where they sign. I remember when Reggie White signed in Green Bay. They weren’t a good team and weren’t an appealing destination at the time. They blew his doors off with an offer and he took it.

In this market, players looking to maximize their deal may be forced to consider destinations that weren’t originally on their preferred list.
IMO it’ll depend on their family situation and if the better half is willing. Gord Miller said a couple of weeks back, George McPhee gets a lot of grief for the Erat/Forsberg deal, but don’t know that his wife loved Nashville and hated D.C area and would constantly call him during games, at practice crying & complaining about living in the new confines, which severely impacted Erat’s game focus.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’d do it too, but not a f*in chance in hell he’d even consider MTL.

Based on the longstanding tradition and precedents of UFAs skirting Montreal or did he say something particular?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Love him or hate him what Walsh was saying in that segment does make a lot of sense and the NHL probably would've been in a much better state right now if Goodenow had gotten this luxury tax system included in the CBA like he wanted the year they lost the entire season.

A luxury tax would derail profit sharing between players and owners, so to avoid that they would overburden the players with bigger escrow rates, but more importantly, it would negate the league's objective of greater parity which is better at growing markets leaguewide and in the end, increasing revenues.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In this market, players looking to maximize their deal may be forced to consider destinations that weren’t originally on their preferred list.

Yeah but, we're no longer one of the teams that could take advantage of this market. We squandered our cap space on filler material. Allen's salary plus Edmundson plus $1-2 million more and we could have made a pitch for Petro. :sarcasm:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
We’ll see in 3 weeks, I know it’s a flat cap but Duchene got $8 million last season and here are some recent notable contracts as upcoming UFA’s:

Panarin - 7 years - $11.642 million per
Tavares - 7 years - $11 million per
Seguin - 8 years - $9.85 million per
Stone - 8 years - $9.5 million per
Benn - 8 years - $9.5 million per
Skinner - 8 years - $9 million per
And in any other year, he’d be making out like a bandit but I’m not sure you realize how bad it is out there. Coyotes are missing payments to players and arena, multiple owners have to slash budget to $70M or less and it’s not going to get better anytime soon. A lot of players are not going to get what they’re worth and the market will be flooded with even better players that teams want to offload. Pietrangelo is hitting market because St. Louis can’t afford what he’s demanding. It’s going to get bad and players are already seeing this. So Hall, Domi etc. might be in for a rude awakening when time comes. But like you said, we’ll find out soon enough.

Reactions: blarneylad

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A luxury tax would derail profit sharing between players and owners, so to avoid that they would overburden the players with bigger escrow rates, but more importantly, it would negate the league's objective of greater parity which is better at growing markets leaguewide and in the end, increasing revenues.

If not a luxury tax, how do you create better balance between markets on account of income taxes?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Based on the longstanding tradition and precedents of UFAs skirting Montreal or did he say something particular?
Just based on history.

Would be amazing though, as he’d know 2-former teammates and if the wives have a pre-existing friendships, would definitely not hurt the Habs chances.

Would kill lots of birds with one stone:
- Get 3-years younger vs Petry w/o sacrificing mobility
- PP QB
- Size & talent - huge top-4

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Build the cap on earnings after taxes!

An accounting nightmare!

Exactly. :laugh:

Only thing that might help some of the higher tax markets up north and on the east coast might be climate change at this point.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
And in any other year, he’d be making out like a bandit but I’m not sure you realize how bad it is out there. Coyotes are missing payments to players and arena, multiple owners have to slash budget to $70M or less and it’s not going to get better anytime soon. A lot of players are not going to get what they’re worth and the market will be flooded with even better players that teams want to offload. Pietrangelo is hitting market because St. Louis can’t afford what he’s demanding. It’s going to get bad and players are already seeing this. So Hall, Domi etc. might be in for a rude awakening when time comes. But like you said, we’ll find out soon enough.

I agree things will be bad this year for free agents. I think it will be worse though for the lower to mid end free agents. But yes all players will have to take a discount on amount per year and/or term. What would Brodin have got if it wasn’t for this?

Hopefully Bergevin can capitalize on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sterling Archer

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
But now that UFA will also have less suitors.

It’s a good point and will (or should) also help to drive the salaries handed out down. I’ll be interested to see what they get. Might be some good free agent signings for once, and not future buy-out candidates.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
If not a luxury tax, how do you create better balance between markets on account of income taxes?

As Walsh discussed, the tax situation is overblown. These guys don’t simply pay the marginal income tax rate on their gross salary. You also have to distinguish residency in some situations.

If you are going to do taxes, you should also do cost of living. Then you could argue endorsements in Toronto are more lucrative in LA.

Doing an income tax based salary cap is administratively unworkable.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Trade our 1st and Danault big Ego together for an offensive weapon, thank you
I think Danault and his fanclub on here are the only ones that think he is top 6 center. Opposing GM won't take Danaul and a 1st for a star player. Not enough.

Danault if he would understand his role would be such as great asset. The guy is a top 3rd line center that can move up in the lineup if needed. Definately worth 4.5M but anything over 5 in a flat cap with COVID finances would be insanity and opposing GM won't want to acquire that unless we take a bigger contract in return

Reactions: McGees

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yes,the Jets need a RHD to replace Byfuglien and they have 15 million in cap space.

Yep, we could do a deal with Weber for Ehlers (Jets add)

and move one of Domi or Danault to Minne/Buf for their top 10 pick..

Suddenly, we have two high firsts in a good draft, improved our offense, and made our defense better and younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad