HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
That’s crazy ass money. Now which contender has 8-9 million during a flat cap ?
None. Maybe Colorado but then they’re asking for a world of hurt when MacKinnon is up and Makar
Habs should take a run. We need talent

It’ll have to be more than $7.5 million per season if they do take a run at Hall.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
The way Edmundson contract is built is good to discourage Seattle to grab him. Well se a lot of those i think. Sign in bonus later in the years

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
He won’t sign for that little per year (Brodin just got $42 million for 7 years, I can’t see Hall signing $45 for 6) and players may stay away from front loaded contracts because the escrow is at 20% next season vs 10% in the 22/23 season and 6% in the 23/24 season.
He also got traded for Larsson and almost for Ceci before that. Brodin is far superior to either, so there’s that.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
He wants to go to a contender. So I can’t see that being the Habs, especially for that little no matter how the contract is structured. Dreger thought he’d be asking for $9.5 million per.
And Edmundson was said to be asking $5-6M from Carolina. It’s not what you ask for but what someone’s willing to pay.

Reactions: Zorba

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
He also got traded for Larsson and almost for Ceci before that. Brodin is far superior to either, so there’s that.

And Edmundson was said to be asking $5-6M from Carolina. It’s not what you ask for but what someone’s willing to pay.

The trade for Larsson was a Chiarelli special.

And yes it’s what teams will pay (although I don’t know how real that Edmundson number is after he took 30-40% less without testing the market). Maybe his agent convinced him that $3.5 million was a good deal for him, cause it was (but that topic has been talked about already at length).

But I think a guy that won the Hart trophy in 2018 will get more than $7.5 million per year (on a long term deal). We’ll see in 3 weeks.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

And yes it’s what teams will pay (although I don’t know how real that Edmundson number is after he took 30-40% less without testing the market). Maybe his agent convinced him that $3.5 million was a good deal for him, cause it was (but that topic has been talked about already at length).

But I think a guy that won the Hart trophy in 2018 will get more than $7.5 million per year (on a long term deal). We’ll see in 3 weeks.
What was Theodore worth after he won his Hart?

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC

I’d love to have hall but he’s scored over 30 Just once. He won’t get more than 8 and that’s high balling. Teams are trimming cap. Good luck to hall if he thinks he’s getting 9-10 million. It won’t happen. Especially for a winger

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
What was Theodore worth after he won his Hart?

I’d love to have hall but he’s scored over 30 Just once. He won’t get more than 8 and that’s high balling. Teams are trimming cap. Good luck to hall if he thinks he’s getting 9-10 million. It won’t happen. Especially for a winger

We’ll see in 3 weeks, I know it’s a flat cap but Duchene got $8 million last season and here are some recent notable contracts as upcoming UFA’s:

Panarin - 7 years - $11.642 million per
Tavares - 7 years - $11 million per
Seguin - 8 years - $9.85 million per
Stone - 8 years - $9.5 million per
Benn - 8 years - $9.5 million per
Skinner - 8 years - $9 million per

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Don’t have the assets on D they would want
Chiarot + Danault - both of whom Chevy knows well and apparently holds in high regard and they address what Jets are looking for 2C + top-4 NHL proven D

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
We’ll see in 3 weeks, I know it’s a flat cap but Duchene got $8 million last season and here are some recent notable contracts as upcoming UFA’s:

How’s that skinner contract looking??? He was gonna be a ufa. Buffalo is f***ed
Hall is no panarin or stone. And Benn has had 4 seasons of over 30 goals. Look I like Hall but not over a penny more than 8 million

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Those were all pre-pandemic contracts.

What kind of allowances would you say an athlete will have to expect now that the cap is flat, some teams will have lower internal caps and all of that should cause less suitors to be available? Does the UFA take a shorter term or does he go for security and not expect to get what other UFAs got in past years? New reality has to have an impact somewhere.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
How’s that skinner contract looking??? He was gonna be a ufa. Buffalo is f***ed
Hall is no panarin or stone. And Benn has had 4 seasons of over 30 goals. Look I like Hall but not over a penny more than 8 million

It looks terrible and I agree with you. I just think some team will pay up (unless he takes less to go to a contender). Maybe I’m wrong in the world we live in and you’re right, we’ll see in 3 weeks.

Those were all pre-pandemic contracts.

What kind of allowances would you say an athlete will have to expect now that the cap is flat, some teams will have lower internal caps and all of that should cause less suitors to be available? Does the UFA take a shorter term or does he go for security and not expect to get what other UFAs got in past years? New reality has to have an impact somewhere.

It absolutely does. How much would he have got pre-pandemic world when the cap was going to $84-$88 million. I think some team would have offered him $10 million +. I’m not saying that’s smart, just what I think some teams would have done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This was an interesting chat from earlier today with Allan Walsh on TSN690 talking about taxes when it comes to signing UFA's and if a coach or a GM possibly being a reason why a player decides to sign or not to sign with a specific team.

Walsh: NHL should go to luxury tax system

I totally love the idea for large revenue teams especially.

Habs would have the ability to spend over the threshold and pay luxury tax. The luxury tax would then be distributed to small market teams. We would completely do away with the silliness of tax advantages according to a given market. I agree, this is where it should be going.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It absolutely does. How much would he have got pre-pandemic world when the cap was going to $84-$88 million. I think some team would have offered him $10 million +. I’m not saying that’s smart, just what I think some teams would have done.

But now that UFA will also have less suitors.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
After hearing Pietrangelo only got offered $7.7 million per from St. Louis maybe @Zorba is right on Hall’s contract.

With St-Louis, trying to get a hometown discount on an already big payroll. Also, didn't actually sign yet. I'd be surprised he would accept this long term, covid or not. On the open market, Pietrangello could easily get 9-10.

Hall will never go for 7.5 in Montreal

I'd sign AP 9 per, trade Petry and never look back.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
After hearing Pietrangelo only got offered $7.7 million per from St. Louis maybe @Zorba is right on Hall’s contract.

Players may be less choosy about where they sign. I remember when Reggie White signed in Green Bay. They weren’t a good team and weren’t an appealing destination at the time. They blew his doors off with an offer and he took it.

In this market, players looking to maximize their deal may be forced to consider destinations that weren’t originally on their preferred list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad