GDT: 2020 MLB Regular Season Thread II

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
They have one of the best players in baseball being wasted there...they need to turn it around quickly.
It's not going to happen until Arte sells the team, it's been proven that no matter how many GMs or managers we go through and how much money we spend, we don't have what it takes to get to the next level.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It's not going to happen until Arte sells the team, it's been proven that no matter how many GMs or managers we go through and how much money we spend, we don't have what it takes to get to the next level.

That’s a shame, if the Oakland A’s can contend year in and year out I don’t see show the Angels can’t.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
That’s a shame, if the Oakland A’s can contend year in and year out I don’t see show the Angels can’t.
i wouldn't say the A's contend "year in and year out"

since beane took over, their longest consecutive playoff stretch is 4 seasons (00-03.) they put up winning records in '04 and '05 but the angels won the division both seasons. the A's won the division in '06 and then saw 5 straight losing seasons. i expected the same thing to happen after the '12-'14 playoff group was blown up but chapman/olson emerging much sooner than expected and semien turning a corner got them back into contention after just 3 losing seasons.

the angels problem is that they fail to address pitching year after year. their offense is elite, but it's not gonna get you in the playoffs with so many holes in the rotation and bullpen. reminds me a lot of the early 00s rangers. absolutely stacked offense and zero pitching

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
A's contend because they're constantly looking ahead even in the present.

It's also part of why they have trouble getting over the hump. They never sell the future for a short-term opportunity.

Reactions: Terry Yake

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
A's contend because they're constantly looking ahead even in the present.

It's also part of why they have trouble getting over the hump. They never sell the future for a short-term opportunity.

I was a big fan of the early 2000’s A’s, people talk about their 2002 squad more but I think their 2000 and 2001 teams were better...although that 2001 ALDS series was just :facepalm:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I was a big fan of the early 2000’s A’s, people talk about their 2002 squad more but I think their 2000 and 2001 teams were better...although that 2001 ALDS series was just :facepalm:
03 was the most painful of those early 00s playoff losses

i still get f*cking pissed thinking about byrnes not touching home plate and tejada stopping halfway before getting home and throwing his arms to complain about being obstructed. then to top it off, lowe struck out terrence long to win game 5 with the bases loaded and the A's down 1 run

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell

They survived the 'Rona drama & dealing with 7 doubleheaders & now have a magic number of 6 to make the post season. They also have a brutal final week.....4 in the ATL & 3 in the Bronx. No matter the outcome, its been a heck of a ride & they have a bright future ahead.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

They survived the 'Rona drama & dealing with 7 doubleheaders & now have a magic number of 6 to make the post season. They also have a brutal final week.....4 in the ATL & 3 in the Bronx. No matter the outcome, its been a heck of a ride & they have a bright future ahead.

Remember when people bashed Jeter?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Ever since Sox clinched they have gone silent offensively and effort appears lacking at times (Especially defensively)

I am concerned by this cold streak and slump but most people seem to be brushing it off as them taking foot off pedal with division crown pointless essentially

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Remember when people bashed Jeter?

Yeah and he still deserves every bit of it

Not to mention him giving away Stanton to Yankees for trash was piss poor look and nothing they acquired is reason for teams turnaround. Also do they have anything worth a damn from giving away Yelich?

Also 28-25 is hardly worthy of crowning Derek Jeter as some baseball genius

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yeah and he still deserves every bit of it

Not to mention him giving away Stanton to Yankees for trash was piss poor look and nothing they acquired is reason for teams turnaround. Also do they have anything worth a damn from giving away Yelich?

Also 28-25 is hardly worthy of crowning Derek Jeter as some baseball genius

Did I call him a genius?

Yelich trade was bad but I wouldn't write off Yamamoto. Stanton trade was good because it gave them financial flexibility. Realmuto trade was great.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The NL playoff race tonight:

Reds beat the Brewers as their surge continues.

Phillies lose in WSH.

Marlins losing 5-3.

Cards in a 1-1 tie.

Giants quickly fall behind 2-0 vs the Rockies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad