GDT: 2020 HHOF Inductions June 24 - Alfredsson's 4th attempt. Start post #206

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This is one of the reasons why my interest in this league is waning. It's obvious there is one hell of a discrepancy between the way certain teams and players are treated in this league. This isn't a sports league anymore....these days it's WWE on ice.

Any league with any sort of credibility would have Daniel Alfredsson in it already. He wouldn't need 5+ tries to get in.

Reactions: topshelf15

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Kevin Lowe has been eligible for what? 20 years? Doug Wilson for 25? What has changed the committee's mind that NOW they are worthy of getting in? If you don't get in in your first ten or so attempts it should be a wrap. You're not a HOF. If there is only three people that are worthy HOF that year, then only induct three.

It's not a question of "if" you're going to be in the HOF anymore, it's a question of "when". Takes away the prestige of getting voted in.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Thorton, Jagr, Iginla, all Art Ross, and Hart winners.

Yes, but those guys are three of the most "First Ballot HHOF" guys of the millennium.

I am unsurprised that Alfie got in behind the guys that he did... but I think he is now right at the very top of the cusp. He might not get in next year, but I'd be very surprised if he isn't in by 2023.

Either way, I am very happy to see Hossa inducted. First guy we drafted and I believe only the 2nd who played for us to make it into the Hall. More to come, I'm sure.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
There is no doubt that politics plays a role here as well. I think everybody acknowledges that Mats Sundin wouldn't be in the HHOF if he played the majority of his career in New Jersey or somewhere. Same deal for Darryl Sittler - they got the 'Leafs legend' bump. It's a Toronto-centric institution after all.

None of this plays to Alfredsson's benefit though. He has no advocate, nobody working the room to drum up support for him and he probably never will.

By every conceivable metric, the deck is stacked against Alfredsson ever getting into the Hall.
Sittler had a span of like 5 years where he was a top ten player and Federko was a top defenseman. The Islanders and the Oilers made sure a lot of players in the 80's were in their shadow.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Thorton, Jagr, Iginla, all Art Ross, and Hart winners.

Iginla never won the Hart Trophy and it's more accurate to say that the Flames helped win him an Art Ross by cranking up his ice time and feeding him shots, even though it was costing the team wins.

Sittler had a span of like 5 years where he was a top ten player and Federko was a top defenseman. The Islanders and the Oilers made sure a lot of players in the 80's were in their shadow.

Federko was a playmaking center with some high assist totals and a handful of low Top-10 point finishes by playing full seasons in the 1980's.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Pumped for Hossa, but total nonsense Alfie was completely overlooked, I can't wrap my head around how mislead hockey fans are for thinking Hossa was far superior to Alfredsson (Not to take anything away from Hossa)...he'll be waiting for a looong time. Maybe once Josh Langfeld makes the hall, it might open the door for #11

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Iginla never won the Hart Trophy and it's more accurate to say that the Flames helped win him an Art Ross by cranking up his ice time and feeding him shots, even though it was costing the team wins.

Federko was a playmaking center with some high assist totals and a handful of low Top-10 point finishes by playing full seasons in the 1980's.
Yeah my bad. lol

Reactions: Cosmix

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
The continued snubbing of Alfredsson is absurd and the voters should be ashamed of themselves. 1157 points in 1246 games through the heart of the dead puck era while playing Selke caliber defense and captaining his team for 13 years. He also lead Sweden in goals and points in the Turin Olympics, leading them to the gold medal.

It's honestly embarrassing.

Reactions: NyQuil

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The NHL hates Ottawa.

To be fair, the NHL doesn't run the HHoF.

The HHoF is basically a private business that gets lobbied by rich people to get accolades.

Alfie is never getting in: no one cares about Ottawa and Melnyk isn't ever spending any money on getting him in.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This is one of the reasons why my interest in this league is waning. It's obvious there is one hell of a discrepancy between the way certain teams and players are treated in this league. This isn't a sports league anymore....these days it's WWE on ice.

Any league with any sort of credibility would have Daniel Alfredsson in it already. He wouldn't need 5+ tries to get in.

I wouldn't say this is unique to hockey. In baseball playing for the yankees or dodgers helps your case. In football, playing for the cowboys helps your case.

We're an outpost.

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
I wouldn't say this is unique to hockey. In baseball playing for the yankees or dodgers helps your case. In football, playing for the cowboys helps your case.

We're an outpost.

True.

Listening to Pierre McGuire most teams lobby hard for their players to get elected to the HOF. Ottawa is a small market and combine that with zero effort (not surprising) being made by the Sens management - who are yes men for Melnyk - to support Alfie's induction, it's understandable why he hasn't been inducted. It's just another blotch on this 'effed up organization.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don't think Alfie was ever considered a superstar during his career. He was on a crazy line for a few seasons and got points but was never really recognized outside of Ottawa or even the division.

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
I don't think Alfie was ever considered a superstar during his career. He was on a crazy line for a few seasons and got points but was never really recognized outside of Ottawa or even the division.

He should be.
He's second only to Mats Sundin for Swedish born players in total career points. Yet both Sedin twins will probably be elected to the HOF before Alfie.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
He should be.
He's second only to Mats Sundin for Swedish born players in total career points. Yet both Sedin twins will probably be elected to the HOF before Alfie.
Twins who played on the same team with almost identical numbers. Henrik won the Art Ross and the Hart. Daniel won the Art Ross and the Ted Lindsey.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018

What a beauty ... January 2, 2003. His only 4 goal game in NHL. He scored 45 goals that season. Not an easy thing to do during DPE.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
True.

Listening to Pierre McGuire most teams lobby hard for their players to get elected to the HOF. Ottawa is a small market and combine that with zero effort (not surprising) being made by the Sens management - who are yes men for Melnyk - to support Alfie's induction, it's understandable why he hasn't been inducted. It's just another blotch on this 'effed up organization.

You must be an NHL insider to know all these facts.

There is no sens management. We don't have a bunch of old original 6 guys in our organization that play golf with the HHOF board. We never will. End of story. There surely was some effort, but definitely not enough for the fans until he is in the HHOF.

It's very possible the old men's club already decided Alfie is not getting in there, ever. Based on the media, it's looking more like a possibility. I hope not.

LOL on the new blame flavour of the month: 'Yes Men' trending now on HFSens...

Last edited:

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Kevin Lowe?? A really good player surrounded by many elite players. Deserves to have his jersey in the rafters in Edmonton but not the HHOF.
The Edmonton old boy's network carries a lot of weight!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Kevin Lowe?? A really good player surrounded by many elite players. Deserves to have his jersey in the rafters in Edmonton but not the HHOF.
The Edmonton old boy's network carries a lot of weight!

he’s going in because he was the Dad to the Oilers Youth, when Messier was missing flights and crashing cars, Lowe was the adult in the room.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Seriously. He's an all time great two way player. PK,PP, up a goal, down a goal, set up a goal, snipe a goal, play him on a 3rd line to make it a 1st line, 100 point peak, consistent, had no off button and busted his ass every shift even when he was 40 years old.

Imagine wanting to win a cup and adding kevin f***ing lowe to the roster ahead of alfredsson. what a joke lol.

I don’t think team awards such as Stanley Cups and World Championships should be part of the factors to determine HHOF membership. Player performance should be the major factor.

Voting should be done by those who have played the game, not those who wrote about it.

And all voting should be made public.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

Who were Alfredsson's elite linemates between 1999-2004 when he was 1/9 players to finish 1.00 PPG or higher?

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

Twins who played on the same team with almost identical numbers. Henrik won the Art Ross and the Hart. Daniel won the Art Ross and the Ted Lindsey.

Who was the best player of the three?

Reactions: guyzeur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad