GDT: 2020 HHOF Inductions June 24 - Alfredsson's 4th attempt. Start post #206

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I get that cups are taking into account, but honestly, Hossa's 3 cup rings as a supporting player are less impressive to me than his cup loss when he was a Pen,

Similarly, I value Alfredsson's performance in 06 more than any of Hossa's SC winning years.

That's why the cup rings argument seems empty to me. Having a cup ring just means you were on a team good enough to showcase your performance in high stakes games, it the performance in those games that should matter though.

I think Alfredsson led the Sens in playoff scoring 7 of the 14 years he played in the playoffs here. By my count, Hossa led his team in scoring 3 times in his career. So, while Hossa has the cup rings, I'm more impressed with Alfredsson's Playoff record. To me, he was the better playoff performer.

Glad Hossa got in, well deserved. I think Alfie deserved it more though.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I posted this on the main board for people questioning Hossa's defense, his induction and even his offensive abilities.

It's their 10 best seasons (by PPG) sorted by even strength goals against per game and I tacked on a junk +/- stat at the end comparing it to PPG.

10yr AvgGPGAPtsGPGPPGEVGAEVGA/GPPPG-EVGA/GP
Hossa753441750.451.00450.600.40
Alfredsson733049790.411.07480.660.41
Iginla803942810.491.02590.750.27
MSL813155860.391.06730.900.16
Kovalchuk774039790.531.03710.920.11
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I get that cups are taking into account, but honestly, Hossa's 3 cup rings as a supporting player are less impressive to me than his cup loss when he was a Pen,

Similarly, I value Alfredsson's performance in 06 more than any of Hossa's SC winning years.

That's why the cup rings argument seems empty to me. Having a cup ring just means you were on a team good enough to showcase your performance in high stakes games, it the performance in those games that should matter though.

I think Alfredsson led the Sens in playoff scoring 7 of the 14 years he played in the playoffs here. By my count, Hossa led his team in scoring 3 times in his career. So, while Hossa has the cup rings, I'm more impressed with Alfredsson's Playoff record. To me, he was the better playoff performer.

Glad Hossa got in, well deserved. I think Alfie deserved it more though.
For sure. If I could only have one in a playoff game, it would be Alfredsson hands down.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don't think Alfie was ever considered a superstar during his career. He was on a crazy line for a few seasons and got points but was never really recognized outside of Ottawa or even the division.
I think his name was the first one on the coaches board when you walked into the room on who to focus on. For 15 years. I have a hard time thinking that Carbonneau, Lowe, or Nedomansky were anywhere near the top of the list.

The era he played in, he was one of the best for a decade plus. What more do you want? Even Hossa, as a HOFer I have no issue, but everywhere he went, he was NEVER the best player on his team. A complimentary player who mercenaried his way to many Cup Finals opportunities, and good for him to do that. So the Cup rings that give him the edge unfairly disparage those who were not in his enviable position. Just like Lowe, as good as he was, benefited from a few good players on his time as did Huddy, Gregg and Fogolin. You would think Huddy would have a better chance than Alfie getting in lol.

He will get in, but it is a matter of time. Hopefully in my lifetime

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
One of the most under-appreciated players in the history of the game continues to be massively under-appreciated. Go figure. The HoF is a crock of shit anyway. I don't know why you guys care about their opinion that much, it's pretty clear over the last 20 years that their opinion is worth little, if nothing.

Same with the people who vote on major NHL awards. Like the fact that someone didn't even have Karlsson top 3 on their ballot the year he put up 82 pts. It's all secretive and biased anyway. Fix the process and then we can start talking about who actually merits to be in the HoF.

Reactions: variable26

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
One of the most under-appreciated players in the history of the game continues to be massively under-appreciated. Go figure. The HoF is a crock of shit anyway. I don't know why you guys care about their opinion that much, it's pretty clear over the last 20 years that their opinion is worth little, if nothing.

Same with the people who vote on major NHL awards. Like the fact that someone didn't even have Karlsson top 3 on their ballot the year he put up 82 pts. It's all secretive and biased anyway. Fix the process and then we can start talking about who actually merits to be in the HoF.

No surprise being sandwiched between the HHOF favorites, Montreal and Toronto.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I have to admit I'm surprised that Hossa made it in his first year of eligibility. He deserves to be in but I thought it might take a while. Iginla was a good pick and Doug Wilson was overdue but Kevin Lowe getting in is an atrocity. There are literally dozens of better defense men who haven't been inducted. I'm certain Alfie will get in at some point but it may take a new owner to push the argument.

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
You must be an NHL insider to know all these facts.

There is no sens management. We don't have a bunch of old original 6 guys in our organization that play golf with the HHOF board. We never will. End of story. There surely was some effort, but definitely not enough for the fans until he is in the HHOF.

It's very possible the old men's club already decided Alfie is not getting in there, ever. Based on the media, it's looking more like a possibility. I hope not.

LOL on the new blame flavour of the month: 'Yes Men' trending now on HFSens...

I didn't say I knew all the facts. Far from it. All I said was trying to say was it appears that there was little to no effort from Sens management to promote Alfie. There has been nothing in the press that I've read. And I agree it most likely had little to no bearing on the outcome, but it doesn't look good in my opinion on Sens management. Try not to take it personally.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I didn't say I knew all the facts. Far from it. All I said was trying to say was it appears that there was little to no effort from Sens management to promote Alfie. There has been nothing in the press that I've read. And I agree it most likely had little to no bearing on the outcome, but it doesn't look good in my opinion on Sens management. Try not to take it personally.

I am just saying the Sens have zero connection to the outside world.

Saying that the organization did nothing is really unfair since there is no organization, nor is their anyone that has clout in the old boys club. The only guy close to getting some recognition out of Ottawa is PD. Hard to believe ...but if anyone one day has friends outside in higher places it will be him.

Does Alfredsson hang with any players outside of the Swedish circles?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Kevin Lowe says it all about who is deciding the Hall of Fame. What a joke.

It's not even that Alfredsson was not picked. It's that Kevin Lowe was picked over Alfredsson and everyone else.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Kevin Lowe says it all about who is deciding the Hall of Fame. What a joke.

It's not even that Alfredsson was not picked. It's that Kevin Lowe was picked over Alfredsson and everyone else.

Kevin Lowe, of course, is a certified member of the Hockey Old Boys Club - his buddy Wayne has been promoting his candidacy for years. Lowe also got in on the basis of six Cups, which again shows you how having your name on the Cup is not necessarily an indication of a Hall of Fame career.

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
I am just saying the Sens have zero connection to the outside world.

Saying that the organization did nothing is really unfair since there is no organization, nor is their anyone that has clout in the old boys club. The only guy close to getting some recognition out of Ottawa is PD. Hard to believe ...but if anyone one day has friends outside in higher places it will be him.

Does Alfredsson hang with any players outside of the Swedish circles?

No I don't know much about Alfie's personal life or other Swedish connections.

Just hoping the Sens receive at least one top three pick tonight. Even though two picks in the top six is still good, I think it's important for the fan base and franchise to receive above expected news tonight. Even if it's only one evening everyone will have something to cheer about…it's been way too long!

Reactions: variable26

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Since before his first year of eligibility I didn't think he would get in. I do think at some point he will but it will have to be in a down year.

I guess the question is if it takes you this long to get in where you really worthy to start with. This goes for any player like Lowe.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00