Speculation: 2020 Free Agent D

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
min not saying it’d be the end of the world. I don’t think Dekeyser is over paid and hope he doesn’t have ongoing injury issues. I doubt he gets a pay raise. At this point I’d protect ddk over Lindstrom. That could change in the future. Mcisaac will not be up next year. And colo likely still has struggles honestly.

I thought Dekeyser was overpaid for a couple of seasons there, but last season and starting this year he was looking better. I'm thinking that when the expansion draft rolls around two summers from now, Dekeyser will be 31 with just a year left on his deal. And we'll probably have at least one other "older" vet, likely two, also on the books from free agent signings/trades and who will also likely be exposed. Going forward, is an aging Dekeyser going to be worth more to the club at that point than his younger counterparts?

That's why I keep Lindstrom and Cholowski over him. Now, if we have a guy like Krug or Pietrangelo then one of those kids is definitely exposed. I'm not really expecting that sort of signing, though.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I will say this on Krug, the fact we are now into 2020 and he doesn't have an extension in Boston is interesting. It is something that could be done over this break or around the trade deadline those are hot areas, but keep in mind the Bruins have extended their other big pieces traditionally in the summer or fall timeline. Chara's most recent contract is one of the only spring ones and I don't really see that as the same deal. Pasta, Marchand, Krejci were all fall signings with Bergeron and Rask were in July. They did push McAvoy and Carlo into the summer but those classic RFA deals. Krug also has signed at different points in time traditionally but I just am surprised with both sides publicly talking about this heating up in October that he remains without an extension.

I really like our chances if he is in fact willing to leave Boston. I still lean extension in Boston but with each passing day wanting to be a UFA becomes more of a reality and the Bruins just cannot cut up enough of the pie for him and he might be willing to come home. What entered as 80/20 odds I think is now closer to 60/40 he is getting close enough to wonder and want to be a part of the UFA process where we really should be able to get in the the room and pitch the Yzerplan.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
- theres good aspects to dekeysers game but hes so skinny that it limits his effectiveness so i wouldnt care if lost in expansion
- and concerning choski im still seeing a soft slow thinking player in grandrapids and am hoping he can be moved for something like a late second / early third

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My own Yzerplan would be very clear.

- Trade Darren Helm at the deadline
- Trade Trevor Daley and Mike Green at the deadline
-------------------------------------
- Buyout Nielsen (will hurt the cap for 2 seasons, but cap is not a problem for next 3-4 seasons)
- Let UFAs Ericsson & Howard walk
- Let RFA Perlini walk (KHL?)
------------------------------------
- Re-sign UFA Biega for AHL if needed
- Re-sign RFA Erne for AHL if needed
- Re-sign Bowey for ~1.2M, 1 year (need his games for expansion draft eligible RFA)
- Extend Mantha for ~5.5M, 6 years
- Extend Bertuzzi for ~5M, 8 years
- Extend Fabbri for ~3.5M, 1 year, (2 years will get him to UFA)
- Extend Athanasiou for ~4.75M, 2 years
----------------------------------------
- Bring in quality UFA on defence (like Torey Krug).
- Sign UFA goaltender
- Draft a skill forward from 2020 draft, bring him in to compete against Filppula
- Bring in kids like Veleno, Rasmussen, Smith

Projected roster:

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Fabbri - Filppula - Zadina <---- 2020 1st pick possibility
AA - Rasmussen - Veleno
Smith - Glendening - Abdelkader
(Ehn, Svechnikov)

Krug - Hronek
DeKeyser - Seider
Nemeth - Bowey
Cholowski

UFA starter
Bernier

Depending on who we draft, then experiment Athanasiou trade. Need a center for Athanasiou, if we draft a winger (Lafreniere/Raymond). If we get a center (Byfield, Stutzle) then Athanasiou could add something to the defence.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
I’d sign 2 to be honest. The core is that bad. You can’t trust guys like DDK to stay healthy. Nemeth and Hronik are the only two signed next season that have a solidified spot. There’s room for guys like Cholo and Seider to enter the lineup even after FAs.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I’d sign 2 to be honest. The core is that bad. You can’t trust guys like DDK to stay healthy. Nemeth and Hronik are the only two signed next season that have a solidified spot. There’s room for guys like Cholo and Seider to enter the lineup even after FAs.

Guy like Gudas would work on the 3rd pair. And need help for PK.

Lefties
------
Krug
DeKeyser
NEmeth
Cholowski

Righties
---------
Hronek
Seider
Gudas
Bowey

Nice mix with skill and nastiness?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'm not sure I'd pencil Seider on the roster full time next season. I don't have a problem with him playing another year in Grand Rapids.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Getting a LHD to slot Dekeyser down on the 2nd pair should be a top priority if we want to try and be a better team next year. Whether that can be down via UFA or trade, regardless it’s something I’d like to see. I’ve always liked TJ Brodie, and saw he may be available given the depth of Calgary’s blue line. I would look at getting him in a trade (if reasonable) or aim to sign him this summer.

Brodie-Hronek
Dekeyser-Seider

This could be a good group with some continued development from Hronek and Seider. I’m also on board with getting Krug. He’s a really skilled player and a lot of fun to watch. Would add a lot to our dull power plays.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I thought Dekeyser was overpaid for a couple of seasons there, but last season and starting this year he was looking better. I'm thinking that when the expansion draft rolls around two summers from now, Dekeyser will be 31 with just a year left on his deal. And we'll probably have at least one other "older" vet, likely two, also on the books from free agent signings/trades and who will also likely be exposed. Going forward, is an aging Dekeyser going to be worth more to the club at that point than his younger counterparts?

That's why I keep Lindstrom and Cholowski over him. Now, if we have a guy like Krug or Pietrangelo then one of those kids is definitely exposed. I'm not really expecting that sort of signing, though.

Yeah, his first year of the contract was a DISASTER.
He improved enough the next year.
Last year, he was really, really good. But you can't give him full marks because he only played 40-something games.
This year, well, I don't think he was that good.

I don't really care about losing him in the expansion draft.
If we keep him, great. Solid veteran LD who should be OK if healthy.
If we lose him? Oh well. Go sign some other LD, probably cheaper and more likely to be available to play.

Too early to make Dekeyser vs Cholo or Dekeyser vs Lindstrom decisions, IMO.
But Lindstrom is a RHD who will play behind Seider and Hronek IF he makes it. And I think, most likely, you need a veteran RHD if you're running Seider/Hronek on the rightside. So even if Lindstrom is good enough, he probably has no room.

Cholo will be a tougher decision. Going back to the 18-19 start, he flashed real potential. But it seems so long ago now.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Getting a LHD to slot Dekeyser down on the 2nd pair should be a top priority if we want to try and be a better team next year. Whether that can be down via UFA or trade, regardless it’s something I’d like to see. I’ve always liked TJ Brodie, and saw he may be available given the depth of Calgary’s blue line. I would look at getting him in a trade (if reasonable) or aim to sign him this summer.

Brodie-Hronek
Dekeyser-Seider

This could be a good group with some continued development from Hronek and Seider. I’m also on board with getting Krug. He’s a really skilled player and a lot of fun to watch. Would add a lot to our dull power plays.

I like the idea of Brodie on LD and Gudas on RD.
That's a lot of credibility to add to a defense.

Brodie-Hronek
Dekeyser-Seider
Cholowski-Gudas
Nemeth/Cholo splitting at 6/7

Reactions: LafreniereDRW

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like the idea of Brodie on LD and Gudas on RD.
That's a lot of credibility to add to a defense.

Brodie-Hronek
Dekeyser-Seider
Cholowski-Gudas
Nemeth/Cholo splitting at 6/7

Yeah, I’d be good with that. I like it for special teams too.

PK1
Brodie-Gudas

PK2
Dekeyser-Seider

PP1
Cholowski-Hronek

PP2
Brodie-Seider

(assuming Seider takes some big steps)

Reactions: jkutswings

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Gudas is tough/gritty/hits like a truck, but kinda dirty. He's cut back on PIM's in recent years, but I feel that # would go back up a bit on our D.

DDK-Hronek
TJ Brodie-Seider
Nemeth-??

??**Cholo/Bowey (7&8)...neither may be here by TDL or 7/1
McIrath & Lindstrom 1st call-ups.

If we sign Krug (poor 5v5/subpar defensively/overpriced/overtermed/small/almost 29 & aging/not really physical/already has a Cup & may not be "as hungry"/Clauses?) etc....sure he'd improve our PP, but I'm against signing him.

TJ Brodie is 6'0 vs. Krug 5'9, though both listed @186 lbs. Krug has the lower center of gravity, which is a plus, in addition to his better pts/gp career. Neither are known for their D. However, I bet Brodie probably costs less. Krug's had some injuries & I feel there will be a bigger bidding war & his heart is in BOS.

Muzzin @30 doesn't entice me & he's kinda slow iirc. If he was a few years younger, sure.

AA should be traded for Top3 LHD (w/add on our end), if not, then for Georgiev. Though I'd rather use our asset to get a D. Just sign a G in UFA.

Last edited:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Gudas is tough/gritty/hits like a truck, but kinda dirty. He's cut back on PIM's in recent years, but I feel that # would go back up a bit on our D.

DDK-Hronek
TJ Brodie-Seider
Nemeth-??

If we sign Krug (poor 5v5/subpar defensively/overpriced/overtermed/small/almost 29 & aging/not really physical/already has a Cup & may not be "as hungry"/Clauses?) etc....sure he'd improve our PP, but I'm against signing him.

TJ Brodie is 6'0 vs. Krug 5'9, though both listed @186 lbs. Krug has the lower center of gravity, which is a plus, in addition to his better pts/gp career. Neither are known for their D. However, I bet Brodie probably costs less. Krug's had some injuries & I feel there will be a bigger bidding war & his heart is in BOS.

Muzzin @30 doesn't entice me & he's kinda slow iirc. If he was a few years younger, sure.

AA should be traded for Top3 LHD (w/add on our end), if not, then for Georgiev. Though I'd rather use our asset to get a D. Just sign a G in UFA.

Gudas would be a fairly cheap pick up that would have a high possibility of outperforming contract. He has his flaws. But if we suck again next year which is likely he would be a fun physical d man to watch for 2-3 years of expelling piss and vinegar on our opponents.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Yeah, I'm not really interested in signing Krug. If the Wings were closer to contending, it would make sense. Otherwise he seems like a guy that's going to age like Green, Streit, Visnovsky, Kaberle, etc.

Reactions: 14ari13

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I didn't like the pick. Took me back along with others but Seider I think it's going to be pretty good. Top pairing potential with PK ability and PP. As early as next year. I'm almost counting on it.

He's a RHD. Red Wings really lack solid/Good LHD. DeKeyser was our best defender before he went down early, his return will seem like a signing essentially and If Red Wings could go out and get an upgrade over him even, then, I think the domino's on defense start to fall in place. Idk if breaking the bank on Krug is what I think when we'll be tossing out cash to Bertuzzi/Mantha and still not be competitive. I think Erik Gustafsson might be a better target to get.

DeKeyser - Hronek
Gustafsson - Seider
Nemeth - Bowey/Cholowski/Beiga/UFA/*Prospect?*

I'm thinking a lot on the same lines as Henneka with his Yzerplan. Not exactly the same but same thought process in that we sign a starting goalie, draft 1 or 2 and play that player, bring up Rasmussen, promote Zadina's role, use ufa money to sign good players affordably, likely a new coaching staff(personal imo). Buyout a guy or two like Nielsen or Abdelkader cause they're roster spot is becoming more valuable than there cap hit. I wouldn't do everything the same though, AA wouldn't be back on my team, and I'd prolly buyout Abdelkader over Nielsen. Minor changes in details but basic train of thought is similar.

Idk, when I look and break it down Red Wings can bounce off the floor and I think be really competitive next year throughout the season.

Reactions: 14ari13

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I will say this on Krug, the fact we are now into 2020 and he doesn't have an extension in Boston is interesting.

I really like our chances if he is in fact willing to leave Boston. I still lean extension in Boston but with each passing day wanting to be a UFA becomes more of a reality and the Bruins just cannot cut up enough of the pie for him and he might be willing to come home. What entered as 80/20 odds I think is now closer to 60/40 he is getting close enough to wonder and want to be a part of the UFA process where we really should be able to get in the the room and pitch the Yzerplan.

Still interesting that he bought that house from Michigan at last summer... and hasn't extended with Bruins.

Could be just "rafalski" coming home. Family decision.

And he could also see, that Buins maybe is a contender, but isn't for long-term. Definitely not for next 8 years. Maybe for 2-3 years. Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Chara aren't young forever. Bruins have some decent kids in the core, but they are like that Nyquist/Tatar core, which we did believe being something special, but they were mediocre. You can predict the Bruins fall just like many in here predicted Wings to fall after ~2012.

At same point where Buins are gonna fall, Wings are gonna rise. It could be that Krug would have 4-5 playoff seasons with his next 7-year deal with Detroit. Being bad at first, that didn't scare Trouba signing to New York. He knew the team will rise. He knows that best years are coming. Could be the same thinking process for Krug.

2-3 contending years at Boston, then regressing 5 years on the bottom vs. 2-3 worse years at Detroit, but rising team to contending.

That's the decision.

Last edited:

hkydave04

Mar 8, 2016
I will say this on Krug, the fact we are now into 2020 and he doesn't have an extension in Boston is interesting. It is something that could be done over this break or around the trade deadline those are hot areas, but keep in mind the Bruins have extended their other big pieces traditionally in the summer or fall timeline. Chara's most recent contract is one of the only spring ones and I don't really see that as the same deal. Pasta, Marchand, Krejci were all fall signings with Bergeron and Rask were in July. They did push McAvoy and Carlo into the summer but those classic RFA deals. Krug also has signed at different points in time traditionally but I just am surprised with both sides publicly talking about this heating up in October that he remains without an extension.

I know someone VERY VERY close to Krug who says the Wings have contacted Krug through back channels to gauge his interest. Krug would most definitely like to return to Michigan and play for the Wings at the right price. Don't know the exact figure but $9 mill/yr was brought up by the Krug camp. Take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Also, Krug would be a perfect fit for our D core, because I'm not sure is Hronek enough talented to be a 1st PP quarterback and same for Seider. They could be 2nd PP options and Krug would be master for 1st PP. He would eat the biggest boatload of points, fine on line with his heavy UFA contract, but, that will also keep the pricetags for other defencemen down because they have harder time to produce without the main PP time.

He has his flaws, but our defencemen core has opposite strentghs and Krug's strengths match with our current kids weaknesses. It just feels so match made in heaven if he joins.

Reactions: hkydave04

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I only wanna sign a Top3 LHD.

Grand Rapids Griffins First Half Report Cards

...this reaffirms my concern for Cholo, graded D:

"Dennis Cholowski D 12 0 3 3 2 -8 19
The mobile rearguard is back in the AHL after spending the beginning of the season in Detroit for the second straight year. You can see that the tools are there, starting with his smooth skating and ability to thread passes through defenders and up ice. The problem is his confidence is shot, and he has regressed considerably from the last time he was in the AHL. His poor decision making, and defensive miscues are glaring and costly, and you can watch him overthinking plays which slows down his game. The organization is reaching a crossroad with Cholowski and may be best served by bring in a former NHL defender (Chelios, Kronwall, or Rafalski?) to work with him for the rest of the year in the hopes of getting him on track again"

(I thought Kronner was in GR doing that already)...

EDIT: just read that Kobe Bryant was killed in a helicopter crash (his own chopper), along with 4 passengers. Not an NBA fan or even hoops fan, but thought I'd share.

Last edited:

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Sign Krug and maybe look at another UFA defenseman like Brodie, Shattenkirk, Vatanen, Gudas. We will have Seider, Nemeth, Dekeyser,Hronek. Dekeyser may be a question mark after the back surgery.

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
My own Yzerplan would be very clear.

- Trade Darren Helm at the deadline
- Trade Trevor Daley and Mike Green at the deadline
-------------------------------------
- Buyout Nielsen (will hurt the cap for 2 seasons, but cap is not a problem for next 3-4 seasons)
- Let UFAs Ericsson & Howard walk
- Let RFA Perlini walk (KHL?)
------------------------------------
- Re-sign UFA Biega for AHL if needed
- Re-sign RFA Erne for AHL if needed
- Re-sign Bowey for ~1.2M, 1 year (need his games for expansion draft eligible RFA)
- Extend Mantha for ~5.5M, 6 years
- Extend Bertuzzi for ~5M, 8 years
- Extend Fabbri for ~3.5M, 1 year, (2 years will get him to UFA)
- Extend Athanasiou for ~4.75M, 2 years
----------------------------------------
- Bring in quality UFA on defence (like Torey Krug).
- Sign UFA goaltender
- Draft a skill forward from 2020 draft, bring him in to compete against Filppula
- Bring in kids like Veleno, Rasmussen, Smith

Projected roster:

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Fabbri - Filppula - Zadina <---- 2020 1st pick possibility
AA - Rasmussen - Veleno
Smith - Glendening - Abdelkader
(Ehn, Svechnikov)

Krug - Hronek
DeKeyser - Seider
Nemeth - Bowey
Cholowski

UFA starter
Bernier

Depending on who we draft, then experiment Athanasiou trade. Need a center for Athanasiou, if we draft a winger (Lafreniere/Raymond). If we get a center (Byfield, Stutzle) then Athanasiou could add something to the defence.

If I am literally any other team in the league, I don’t trade anything for Helm. I don’t touch Helm with a yard stick.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

DDK-Hronek
TJ Brodie-Seider
Nemeth-??

Find it pretty unlikely that Brodie would wanna sign in Detroit.

But with the cap space available adding both him and Krug would be interesting. The puck would actually get moved up the ice to the forwards in transition. I dont care if Krug isnt great defensively, hes one of the most talented offensive dmen in the league and has played the last 2 years at a 65 point pace. The wings barely have forwards capable of hitting that.

If I am literally any other team in the league, I don’t trade anything for Helm. I don’t touch Helm with a yard stick.

I think Helm makes a tonne of sense for a playoff team. These are teams that have the depth to not play Helm out of a bottom line role. He gives you a lot of speed, forechecking and penalty killing ability. He also gives you a little bit more depth at center if you end up needing it because of injuries on a long playoff run.

I dont think anyone is going to give up a tonne for him but if a team wants some speed for the bottom 6 he makes a lot of sense. Hes not a bad hockey player, hes just been played above his ability a lot in Detroit the last few years. I think its similar to Dekeyser as well. People on this board hate him because hes playing number one dman type mins the last couple years with a number 3 or 4 D talent level.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Helm makes a tonne of sense for a playoff team. These are teams that have the depth to not play Helm out of a bottom line role. He gives you a lot of speed, forechecking and penalty killing ability. He also gives you a little bit more depth at center if you end up needing it because of injuries on a long playoff run.

I dont think anyone is going to give up a tonne for him but if a team wants some speed for the bottom 6 he makes a lot of sense. Hes not a bad hockey player, hes just been played above his ability a lot in Detroit the last few years. I think its similar to Dekeyser as well. People on this board hate him because hes playing number one dman type mins the last couple years with a number 3 or 4 D talent level.

I'd demand at least a 2nd for Helm. I think he's more valuable to us than any pick lower than that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad