Speculation: 2020 Free Agent D

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Erik Gustafsson appears to be a one hit wonder:

18-19:

GP 79 G 17 A 43 PTS 60 +/- -6

19-20:

GP 50 G 6 A 18 PTS 24 +/- -3

Hawks fans have said he also isn't very good defensively.

I don't think Danny Dekeyser should be protected unless we have absolutely no one else that needs protecting. Hronek is the only current Wing blueliner that should be protected, and if Cholo needs protecting.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Erik Gustafsson appears to be a one hit wonder:

18-19:

GP 79 G 17 A 43 PTS 60 +/- -6

19-20:

GP 50 G 6 A 18 PTS 24 +/- -3

Hawks fans have said he also isn't very good defensively.

I don't think Danny Dekeyser should be protected unless we have absolutely no one else that needs protecting. Hronek is the only current Wing blueliner that should be protected, and if Cholo needs protecting.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

looks like he went from 60 points to a 40 point pace. My guess he’s a 50ish point D and he’s been pretty much even on his career in +/-, I think he’d be a real nice add. I wouldn’t sell the farm for him though.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
DDK and Krug play entirely different games. I wouldn’t consider signing Krug an acceptable reason to be okay with loosing DDK.

Let's say we sign Krug. We re-sign Nemeth or pick up a similar vet D. We have McIsaac and/or Cholo coming up or established after next season. We also have DDK having significant injury issues and on the last year of an expensive deal and likely looking for a pay raise.

Losing DDK wouldn't be the worst thing. Even if we don't sign Krug, I'd be tempted to protect Hronek, Cholo, and Lindstrom.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Why on Earth would Detroit protect Bowey? Losing him would be addition by subtraction.

Well we need to protect someone. As of now it's him Cholowski or Lindstrom for the 3rd spot and I see no reason to have a strong opinion one way or the other at this point in time. Ultimately I wouldn't lose sleep over exposing all 3 and it's for this exact reason I think we *should* go after one of the top UFAs you listed in your post.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I would bet that unless his play drops way off after his recent surgery, DeKeyser would definitely end up in Seattle if left unprotected.

-Serviceable 2nd pair D being paid market value, which also helps them get to the salary floor
-With only one year left, he can help them compete like Vegas did, or they can move him as a rental for a decent return at the deadline
-Taking $5M off the Wings books won't be doing a favor that merits trying to acquire other assets like it would be for contenders that are up against the cap

Overall it probably depends on the blueline looks at that point. Is DeKeyser still at the top of the list for minutes? Is Nemeth gone and not coming back? Is Cholowski still trending toward Kindl 2.0?

If DeKeyser is still playing a big defensive role, they might be better off trying to protect him so they can get something for him in a trade as opposed to losing him for nothing.

Another factor is that depending on what happens with some guys, Yzerman might end up having a spot to protect a goalie and an extra spot or two to protect forwards. Maybe he swings a deal where he send one his extra protectable dmen for a goalie or forward he can protect.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
DDK and Krug play entirely different games. I wouldn’t consider signing Krug an acceptable reason to be okay with loosing DDK.

I am okay with losing Dekeyser in the expansion draft period... full stop. He might be protected based on numbers and the organization chart but I don't hold up moves because we need to protect him, he isn't worth that to me at all.

Reactions: Winger98

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Let's say we sign Krug. We re-sign Nemeth or pick up a similar vet D. We have McIsaac and/or Cholo coming up or established after next season. We also have DDK having significant injury issues and on the last year of an expensive deal and likely looking for a pay raise.

Losing DDK wouldn't be the worst thing. Even if we don't sign Krug, I'd be tempted to protect Hronek, Cholo, and Lindstrom.

min not saying it’d be the end of the world. I don’t think Dekeyser is over paid and hope he doesn’t have ongoing injury issues. I doubt he gets a pay raise. At this point I’d protect ddk over Lindstrom. That could change in the future. Mcisaac will not be up next year. And colo likely still has struggles honestly.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I am okay with losing Dekeyser in the expansion draft period... full stop. He might be protected based on numbers and the organization chart but I don't hold up moves because we need to protect him, he isn't worth that to me at all.

I wouldn’t die over it. But it depends on the move. He’s been really good the last couple years. When healthy he’s a nice piece. (When healthy) lol

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
No thanks on Torey Krug. Blashill's gonna be gone anyway.
He's easily a net-minus guy in 4 years on one of the better teams in hockey. He'll be 29 and seeking a 5-6 year deal. No f***ing way.

We've got Cholowski, McIsaac, and Johansson coming.
We've got Dekeyser and Nemeth signed.
No reason to sign Krug.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No thanks on Torey Krug. Blashill's gonna be gone anyway.
He's easily a net-minus guy in 4 years on one of the better teams in hockey. He'll be 29 and seeking a 5-6 year deal. No ****ing way.

We've got Cholowski, McIsaac, and Johansson coming.
We've got Dekeyser and Nemeth signed.
No reason to sign Krug.

Always better to sign proven UFA than consider any prospect. Especially if you have free cap space, and don't have to lose anybody cause of that. We do not even have any cap threads in the next 5-6 year period.

Period. Do better estimates.

Ask any GM for this. You are laughed out of the town.

Yeah, we have the guys coming, somebody could pan out, someone not, but it's that typical overthinking about a proven player over a unproven prospect.

We need proven guys to contribute right way to end this joke of losing. Time to end this nonsense is now. Start burying people out and signing some real players in. We have the cap space for that transition period, before a contending beriod. Start building a hockey team and a hockey culture.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Always better to sign proven UFA than consider any prospect. Especially if you have free cap space, and don't have to lose anybody cause of that. We do not even have any cap threads in the next 5-6 year period.

Period. Do better estimates.

Ask any GM for this. You are laughed out of the town.

Yeah, we have the guys coming, somebody could pan out, someone not, but it's that typical overthinking about a proven player over a unproven prospect.

We need proven guys to contribute right way to end this joke of losing. Time to end this nonsense is now. Start burying people out and signing some real players in. We have the cap space for that transition period, before a contending beriod. Start building a hockey team and a hockey culture.

That's terrible logic. That's how you end up with Frans Nielsen for 6 years.
Krug is overrated and will likely be overpaid. No thank you.

Reactions: 14ari13

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Who are potential bargains? You never can tell until July 5 or so.
I think Erik Gustafsson could come cheap if you want offense.
I wonder if Mirco Mueller might be a decent option of NJ walks away from him.
Joel Edmunsen might be a bit under the radar.
The big prize out there on LD could be TJ Brodie. Rarely gets offensive minutes but he's still a player.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That's terrible logic. That's how you end up with Frans Nielsen for 6 years.
Krug is overrated and will likely be overpaid. No thank you.
The analog to Nielsen would be signing a #4 defenseman and asking him to play #2 minutes. Krug might not be worth the deal he ends up signing, but he's a much better defenseman than Nielsen is a forward.

If you can't touch a free agent unless you drop $10M AAV, then sure, walk away. But if Detroit can get a solid vet or two for $5-6M a year, then go ahead.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I would be really surprised if Yzerman chases any big fish in the UFA market. Didn't seem to be big on it with Tampa. Outside of extending his own guys, the three biggest UFA contracts ($4.5M or more) he gave out were to Matt Carle, Filppula and Stralman almost 8, 7 and 6 years ago. The first ended in a buyout, and the second ended with Yzerman coughing up draft picks to get rid of it and then Stralman finished out his fine. Since then it's been all contracts under $5M and 4 years or less.

Reactions: 14ari13

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I would be really surprised if Yzerman chases any big fish in the UFA market. Didn't seem to be big on it with Tampa. Outside of extending his own guys, the three biggest UFA contracts ($4.5M or more) he gave out were to Matt Carle, Filppula and Stralman almost 8, 7 and 6 years ago. The first ended in a buyout, and the second ended with Yzerman coughing up draft picks to get rid of it and then Stralman finished out his fine. Since then it's been all contracts under $5M and 4 years or less.

sounds like he got a little gun shy after a few bad results. Interesting.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Dekeyser is still easily a top 2 d on this team if not the number 1. We’d basically need to sign Both peitro and Krug to even consider Leaving dekeyser unprotected.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
i doubt he had any cap space to work with

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Dekeyser is still easily a top 2 d on this team if not the number 1. We’d basically need to sign Both peitro and Krug to even consider Leaving dekeyser unprotected.

Sign Krug, you protect Hronek easily over DeKeyser then given the upside on long-term odds I probably protect one of Cholowski or Lindstrom over him but we would have to see how the next season and a half unfolds. One year at 5 million isn't worth cost controlled RFA guys for me. We will also have a pro season of analysis on McIsaac... I just honestly lean towards leaving him unprotected. You could even go after him the following UFA summer if you were inclined to bring him back.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
He was more aggressive early on, once he built his farm system out he also choose to make cost certainty trades and extend guys ala Callahan and McDonaugh.

Also lack of cap space and already had the “big fish” on his roster. At the point Tampa has been at lately, he was probly more focused on finding the right combination of mid to low level players to compliment the stars.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Id throw a 2-3 year offer at Gudas to see if he wanted to round out our rh side as a third pairing stomper.

Realistically no way Shattenkirk would jump to our team so whatever.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad