2020 Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes - and do I look wrong now?

Byfield has not been 2nd for over a year. Raymond has been the consensus 2nd (at least since the U-18), get your bloody facts right.
Considering you had Kakko at first and that he has the exact same amount of points, yeah, you do. But it will only get better (Or worse, in your case.) as time passes.

Plekatorz

Jun 6, 2019
I’m with you on this, teams won’t go over the skillset/body/skating of Byfield. He represents a mix of a lot of what people likes in a player. Old fan, boomer fan, generation x and generation Y...who does not like a giant that skates like the wind and produces like this ?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Considering you had Kakko at first and that he has the exact same amount of points, yeah, you do. But it will only get better (Or worse, in your case.) as time passes.

Ah we'll see, I might be wrong. We'll see in 7-10 years. There is no science to this, its a bunch of opinions about future human performance.

I see flaws in Byfield's game (that were oh so apparent at every international tournament over the last year, not a small sample), maybe for once you would like to have an honest conversation about this specifically instead of referring to another player to make a stupid proof by pseudo association so you can win on the internets.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
That might be the case, but its a different subject. I said "now rankings" vs. "june rankings".
I find him too passive for my liking. Imo, if you can’t generate offence at the NHL level, you almost have to transform yourself into a Kapanen type player. He just screams a 50 point 2nd liner to me.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Byfield is a lock at 2, barring some sort of catastrophic injury. Every factor works in his favour, and his nearly first place team just went 1-7 while he was out of the lineup for the WJC. If that doesn’t speak volumes to how good he is, I don’t know what does. 6’4 C with silk hands, excellent skating, IQ, less than a month away from next year’s draft...

People want all big guys to lay the body, but that’s just not realistic for any/every player out there. I don’t give a f*** if he is softer than you’d expect at 6’4, 215, because he has a bunch of un-teachable skills and GM’s won’t risk their jobs picking a ~5’10 German (who I love) or a ~5’10 D man (who I also love) over him. If you want someone to lay the body, pay Andrew Shaw to do it - not a guy who has 70-80+ pt potential.

Auston Matthews is a big boy too, can’t recall the last time he laid a hit, and that doesn’t seem to ever work against him because he is unbelievably talented in so many other areas.

for me, much like in 2018/19, this draft gets interesting at 3. I have Drysdale occupying that spot, but we will see how things play out as the year goes on.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I find him too passive for my liking. Imo, if you can’t generate offence at the NHL level, you almost have to transform yourself into a Kapanen type player. He just screams a 50 point 2nd liner to me.

I think hes more than that. He has an NHL shot and he's overall annoying on the ice with how well he sniffs the position game.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Byfield is a lock at 2, barring some sort of catastrophic injury. Every factor works in his favour, and his nearly first place team just went 1-7 while he was out of the lineup for the WJC. If that doesn’t speak volumes to how good he is, I don’t know what does. 6’4 C with silk hands, excellent skating, IQ, less than a month away from next year’s draft...

People want all big guys to lay the body, but that’s just not realistic for any/every player out there. I don’t give a **** if he is softer than you’d expect at 6’4, 215, because he has a bunch of un-teachable skills and GM’s won’t risk their jobs picking a ~5’10 German (who I love) or a ~5’10 D man (who I also love) over him. If you want someone to lay the body, pay Andrew Shaw to do it - not a guy who has 70-80+ pt potential.

Auston Matthews is a big boy too, can’t recall the last time he laid a hit, and that doesn’t seem to ever work against him because he is unbelievably talented in so many other areas.

for me, much like in 2018/19, this draft gets interesting at 3. I have Drysdale occupying that spot, but we will see how things play out as the year goes on.

Stutzle...is not as big as Byfield.... though he plays at a faster pace....he has great hands....and doesn't shy away from physical play.... offensively, he has a nose for the net.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
This is the year to sell. MB better not **** this up.

Dave....other GMs may be willing to trade future picks....later picks in the 2020 draft (beyond the second round) and picks in 2021 or 2022 drafts for veteran talent in our lineup.
If this upcoming draft is such a strong draft, GMs are going to be extremely reluctant to trade first round picks and early second round picks.

Last edited:

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
Yes - and do I look wrong now?

Byfield has not been 2nd for over a year. Raymond has been the consensus 2nd (at least since the U-18), get your bloody facts right.

his facts are right. I’ve seen Byfield ranked second on every single list. Some lists don’t even have Raymond in the top 3

Reactions: Riggins

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
his facts are right. I’ve seen Byfield ranked second on every single list. Some lists don’t even have Raymond in the top 3

I think it is super close between Stutzle and Byfield for the second and third ranking.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I think it's pretty close between Stutzle and Byfield...I would be happy with either guy....both have good hands.... Byfield has more size.... Stutzle has more speed....I think Stutzle plays with a bit more edge to his game.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yeah, Byfield does not drop below 2. Just no way.

Stutzle though probably put himself at 3. Raymond/Drysdale tied for 4th.

After that it's a crap shoot. If Ottawa falls far enough maybe they take Rossi. Who knows it could be Lundell, Perfetti, maybe the goalie with San Jose's pic.

It's Lafreniere. Then Byfield. Then Stutzle, Raymond & Drysdale.

Then about 8 guys after that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Thanks boss. Seems to be a really high end year for forwards which is good -- should force us to draft another skilled forward.
It really is. Byfield has the highest ceiling of all IMO.

Drysdale is the only non F that should sneak in the 10s.

I think Lundell and Holloway are both similar to KK and Tkachuk in quality and they should last until 7 or 8 along with Rossi and Perfetti who have clear flaws but are hard not to like.

Stutzle, Raymond, Holtz and Drysdale have crazy ceiling.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I think I would go with Drysdale at 4 and Raymond at 5.
Drysdale is a great puck moving defensemen which is critical on any team especially in the newer faster NHL where speed is so important.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think I would take Stützle.

Byfield is a C, big, young for his draft year... But I've got a feeling that german kid will be special.

I love Stutzle, hes been 3rd for half a year on my list, starting with the first time Ive seen him in march last year. Byfield will go 2nd 100% sure. Teams wont pass up on the big C. Dach, KK, Hayton, Dubois... its like that every year.

Reactions: Michelangelo

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I love Stutzle, hes been 3rd for half a year on my list, starting with the first time Ive seen him in march last year. Byfield will go 2nd 100% sure. Teams wont pass up on the big C. Dach, KK, Hayton, Dubois... its like that every year.

I guess you can put an extra premium on Byfield being a big centerman with good hands....though it's a flip of a coin at 2... I think Stutzle/Byfield is the clear number 3....unchallenged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad