2020 Entry Draft Order for LA Kings discussion

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
I cannot conceive how I would get the idea that a league that uniquely rigged an expansion draft to ensure that the new team in a large and massively growing market would be immediately super-successful (thereby allowing them to extort and penalize deep, well-developed existing teams...then allowing them exemption from the next time such a ridiculous draft was to be held) would use a prospect draft to protect the league's 2 largest markets...where would I get such a ridiculous illogical theory from.

1) Remember, Hughes and Kakko were league-wide thought to be immediate impact players, which was why Robitaille was so upset at not getting either; remember the Kings perceived either player as immediately spearheading their way back, both on the ice and publicity-wise. Both players have underperformed the league's expectations (fair or not); do not forget how they were perceived at the time.

2) I know Vegas gets no expansion money in exchange for being exempt from the Seattle draft. I don't give a damn about the money, I care about all teams having to play by the same rules and not allowing a team that has already been provided an unfair advantage to be given another competitive edge no other team gets.

Wait, the expansion draft is fixed too? Who else knows about this (aside from you, Bettman, and every Leafs fan)?

You alleged a far fetched conspiracy with bad evidence, now you’re moving the goal posts.

Mr. Gursky, I think you should apologize to all of us for posting this nonsense.

Last edited:

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
So what if.

Lets say the Sens get the 2nd & 3rd picks. Could the team with 1OA even possibly think about trading back with the Sens for 2 & 3? Would the Sens even do it? What if we miraculous did get the 1OA would you consider it? Is Lafrenière more valuable than Byfield + Stutzle? I think most would take Laffy and run, but if you're in rebuild mode.... Might be interesting.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
draft lottery has not gone LA's way but no way is it rigged. I am still waiting for the 17th overall team to win...the formula would be immediately changed the next year

Reactions: BringTheReign

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
So what if.

Lets say the Sens get the 2nd & 3rd picks. Could the team with 1OA even possibly think about trading back with the Sens for 2 & 3? Would the Sens even do it? What if we miraculous did get the 1OA would you consider it? Is Lafrenière more valuable than Byfield + Stutzle? I think most would take Laffy and run, but if you're in rebuild mode.... Might be interesting.

Sens fans must be very happy with the final week or two of the year. LA's win streak was great for both the Sens picks

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
So what if.

imo Lefreniere is the best prospect since McDavid. Lefreniere is a game breaking talent and would slot right into this current team.

Reactions: RocketKing

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It is very very fishy when NJ (11.5%) & NY (7.8%), both MSG network franchises--the largest in US, get the first 2 picks...then the struggling Blackhawks, an original 6 in a huge market, get the 3rd pick (3.0%).
So, the two largest hockey markets in US get the first 3 picks. Hmmmmmmm.
And Ottawa (18.5%, 16.5%, 14.6%) & LA (13.5%, 13.0%, 12.3%) get 4 & 5.

Odds of 1 NJ, 2 NY & 3 Chi = .02691%
Odds of 1 Ott, 2 LA & 3 NJ = .2669%, just under 10x more likely

It's almost like the process that is designed to be random produced a random result. You can retroactively create a conspiracy theory for most teams.

Remind me why the NHL rigged the 1995 lottery so the Kings would 'win' despite only having a 4.2% chance? Big market team deserved Aki Berg?

Reactions: King'sPawn

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
imo Lefreniere is the best prospect since McDavid. Lefreniere is a game breaking talent and would slot right into this current team.
For sure he is as a prospect level an absolute can't miss.

But take the 2015 draft year as an example, and apply this idea.

1OA has the McDavid pick and could trade back to get the next 2: Eichel + Marner or Provorov or Rantanen. That's a crazy amount of talent.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
For sure he is as a prospect level an absolute can't miss.

But take the 2015 draft year as an example, and apply this idea.

1OA has the McDavid pick and could trade back to get the next 2: Eichel + Marner or Provorov or Rantanen. That's a crazy amount of talent.
The perfect scenario would be the Kings winning the 1OA pick the Senators landing at 2OA and 3OA...
If the Senators offered 2+3 for local kid Lafreniere..... DO WE DO IT?:popcorn:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Absolutely not. That #1 pick isn't going anywhere. Ottawa will take Byfield and Drysdale and be stoked with it, while #1 takes a franchise winger and is stoked with it.

Reactions: kings11

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Absolutely not. That #1 pick isn't going anywhere. Ottawa will take Byfield and Drysdale and be stoked with it, while #1 takes a franchise winger and is stoked with it.
I agree, though I am tempted by the fact that this draft could turn into another '03 class.. Then again, seeing as how we already have Vilardi and Turcotte.. Lafreniere likely helps Kopitar reach one more career year and finally hit the 100pt mark. Plus Kaliyev, whose officially become the steal of the 2019 draft..

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree, though I am tempted by the fact that this draft could turn into another '03 class.. Then again, seeing as how we already have Vilardi and Turcotte.. Lafreniere likely helps Kopitar reach one more career year and finally hit the 100pt mark. Plus Kaliyev, whose officially become the steal of the 2019 draft..

I would rather burn some other assets to grab a faller in the 1st than give up Lafreniere. I'm just that high on him, special special talent. We have prospect depth, and taking extra high swings isn't bad--thought I would probably go Byfield/Stutzle at that point. I dunno. I think there's merit to that approach for sure. But to me Laf is just such a sure thing. I think we could get, say Barron with a mid to late first at much better value than Drysdale

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I would rather burn some other assets to grab a faller in the 1st than give up Lafreniere. I'm just that high on him, special special talent. We have prospect depth, and taking extra high swings isn't bad--thought I would probably go Byfield/Stutzle at that point. I dunno. I think there's merit to that approach for sure. But to me Laf is just such a sure thing. I think we could get, say Barron with a mid to late first at much better value than Drysdale
I think that after seeing the talent Vilardi put on display after missing so much time a sure thing(franchise type) for us is a must. If this was last season I would do it, although any combination of Byfield/Stutzle/Rossi/Drysdale/Holtz would be damn tempting.. damn tempting!

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
I think that after seeing the talent Vilardi put on display after missing so much time a sure thing(franchise type) for us is a must. If this was last season I would do it, although any combination of Byfield/Stutzle/Rossi/Drysdale/Holtz would be damn tempting.. damn tempting!
Yes it would. Could also take Byfield and then sell the 3OA pick to move down and get Drysdale +. In this draft having the 2 & 3 pick could make a franchise healthy for a long time.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I didn't say that, what I said is that I believe that on some level that the system is rigged. I mean your question is sort of ridiculous isn't it? So the people who the NHL pays to put names into envelopes and then tell the NHL what names are in what envelopes are perfectly above suspicion? O.K. lets say that they are, then is Betteman above suspicion? Are the owners who pay him not capable of determining that certain things are for public consumption and others aren't? Do you remember Alan Eagleson? Is it outside the realm of possibility that Betteman et al couldn't also be capable of improprieties? I believe that something isn't adding up and that somewhere on some level something seems to be fishy to me. I don't believe that it is an impossibility but I welcome you to do so if that is what you want to do so. Ga head.:thumbu:
Pretty clear you don’t understand how the draft lottery works:
NHL.com - The National Hockey League
There are no envelopes during the selection. Just ping pong balls. The envelopes are just for show. The team representatives already know what the order is by the time you see the reveal. That’s why Luc looked like his dog just died at the show in 2019. They post the ping pong ball selection process on YouTube so you can see the whole process.

There’s no realistic way for someone to rig the selection.

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I didn't say that, what I said is that I believe that on some level that the system is rigged. I mean your question is sort of ridiculous isn't it? So the people who the NHL pays to put names into envelopes and then tell the NHL what names are in what envelopes are perfectly above suspicion? O.K. lets say that they are, then is Betteman above suspicion? Are the owners who pay him not capable of determining that certain things are for public consumption and others aren't? Do you remember Alan Eagleson? Is it outside the realm of possibility that Betteman et al couldn't also be capable of improprieties? I believe that something isn't adding up and that somewhere on some level something seems to be fishy to me. I don't believe that it is an impossibility but I welcome you to do so if that is what you want to do so. Ga head.:thumbu:

Look, it's okay not to know how the lottery works. It's not okay to spout conspiracy theories fueled on your ignorance.

Reactions: lumbergh

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The perfect scenario would be the Kings winning the 1OA pick the Senators landing at 2OA and 3OA...
Right now, I'm going to say, "Nope."

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland

Definitely yes. Byfield = Potential first line center, who is a big, skilled, hard worker and a good skater. Stutzle =A really creative and skilled forward, a future top line forward. Lafreniere is a better player now, but when Kings are contenders Byfield+Stutzle >>> Lafreniere.

Kopitar is a perfect mentor to Byfield and Stutzle perfect center to Kaliyev.

whoever - Byfield - Vilardi
Kaliyev - Stutzle - whoever

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
I think if Byfield was at Malkin's level as an 18YO I would do it... But at the moment, Laffy is a sure thing while Byfield is a lot of projection and potential as are all of the other top players...

There's always risk. However if you take a few drafts and take the top 3 guys and say the 2 & 3 best end up on the same team, what would THAT look like?

Sure they are prospects but go and look at the recent drafts and take the next 2 after the obvious number 1 and see what that looks like.

Assuming we are capable of actually selecting the next 2, and recent experience says we probably are. I'm thinking this may be the better move.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
There's always risk. However if you take a few drafts and take the top 3 guys and say the 2 & 3 best end up on the same team, what would THAT look like?

Sure they are prospects but go and look at the recent drafts and take the next 2 after the obvious number 1 and see what that looks like.

Assuming we are capable of actually selecting the next 2, and recent experience says we probably are. I'm thinking this may be the better move.
The only clearly analogous example I can think of is the 1999 Sedin Twins draft. Patrik Stefan was drafted 1OA, just before the twins. Pretty clear that 1 < 2+3 in that case.

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
Pretty clear you don’t understand how the draft lottery works:
NHL.com - The National Hockey League
There are no envelopes during the selection. Just ping pong balls. The envelopes are just for show. The team representatives already know what the order is by the time you see the reveal. That’s why Luc looked like his dog just died at the show in 2019. They post the ping pong ball selection process on YouTube so you can see the whole process.

There’s no realistic way for someone to rig the selection.

Bingo is never rigged, you are certainly right. I have learned the errors of my ways. I mean you can't honestly believe that a ping pong ball system wouldn't be easy to rig, can you? I suppose we will also just have to agree to disagree on this one too.

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
Look, it's okay not to know how the lottery works. It's not okay to spout conspiracy theories fueled on your ignorance.

Ah, name calling and suggesting censorship for your opposition, certainly the foundations of an opinion worthy of merit. It is alright to live tightly wrapped in your opinion of how things work but not alright to accuse others of ignorance to disagreeing with you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad