2020 ECF: (2) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (6) New York Islanders | TBL leads 3-1

Who will make it to the Stanley Cup from the East, and how will they do it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
They must all be secretly related to Matthew Barzal then. Unless he's actually better than Kucherov and Hedman, and I just missed that whole transition year from "good young player" to "top-5 player."

I thought Barzal was only better than Point? The Isles fan that sorta started all this never actually said he's better, though it was hard to read him.... I think he was saying they are the "same"? LOL I dont' know but regardless he hasn't been a part of this thread for a while. He might show back up if Isles force a game 7.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I thought Barzal was only better than Point? The Isles fan that sorta started all this never actually said he's better, though it was hard to read him.... I think he was saying they are the "same"? LOL I dont' know but regardless he hasn't been a part of this thread for a while. He might show back up if Isles force a game 7.
No he clearly said Point was the better goal scorer, but everywhere else Barzal was better.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
That's true. The capitals have confirmed media reports they werent even trying and the Flyers legitimately were not that good outside of Hart. They were shitty and the Isles got a cushy soft path to conf finals before getting destroyed by an actual contender

Partied so hard they cost their coach his job. Good bunch of guys right?

Reactions: wingnutks

PRZ45MD

Aug 11, 2016
I've never seen a player waste so much time with the puck and accomplish so little with it like Barzal. He's spinning around, putting pucks out of reach against 1 player only to make a short pass while the rest of the defending team conserves their energy. Crosby uses up time similarly but he does it to move all the defending players around and thread a pass to the front or to a trailing Dman.

It seems like tunnel vision to me. Barzal focuses only on the player defending him and who he's planning on passing it to. The rest of the players just watch the show and count down the seconds Barzal is killing.

Most Tampa fans have seen a player like him before. He wore 27 before McD got here and he temper tantrumed his way outta town.

Barzal has a better attitude, but is still too much of a perimeter player at the Center position for repeatable playoff success. It's on him to change that. I think he likely can because he's still a young player.

The comparisons to Point aren't his doing. The Media drummed that crap up and NBCSN's comments about how he is the best player on the ice if Point isn't playing is really stupid. That's not his fault or the Islander fans' fault either.

I much prefer the fans and media pumping the tires of a guy like Barzal because he's actually exciting to watch for the most part and is a skilled player. He'll be fine. He's gonna learn from this and see what is required in the playoffs. The organization will learn what he needs as well and I agree with Islanders fans, Eberle ain't it. Eberle is like a softer, more perimeter Phil Kessel without Kessel's playmaking ability.

If you wanna compare top lines, the thing Barzal is really missing is a Palat. Easy to overlook Drej, but what he does for Kuch and Point is absolutely key in the playoffs.

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Isles fans said he was better (ok, not at goal-scoring, but everything else... except maybe faceoffs) than Point. I believe it was Jones who made the comment that, with Point out, Barzal was the best player left on the ice in Game 2. And then Kucherov reminded him what a Hart, Pearson, and Art Ross winner can do.

Reactions: Adtar02

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Most Tampa fans have seen a player like him before. He wore 27 before McD got here and he temper tantrumed his way outta town.

Barzal has a better attitude, but is still too much of a perimeter player at the Center position for repeatable playoff success. It's on him to change that. I think he likely can because he's still a young player.

The comparisons to Point aren't his doing. The Media drummed that crap up and NBCSN's comments about how he is the best player on the ice if Point isn't playing is really stupid. That's not his fault or the Islander fans' fault either.

I much prefer the fans and media pumping the tires of a guy like Barzal because he's actually exciting to watch for the most part and is a skilled player. He'll be fine. He's gonna learn from this and see what is required in the playoffs. The organization will learn what he needs as well and I agree with Islanders fans, Eberle ain't it. Eberle is like a softer, more perimeter Phil Kessel without Kessel's playmaking ability.

If you wanna compare top lines, the thing Barzal is really missing is a Palat. Easy to overlook Drej, but what he does for Kuch and Point is absolutely key in the playoffs.
Barzal is better than Drouin. Easily. No joking about that one.

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
No he clearly said Point was the better goal scorer, but everywhere else Barzal was better.

I stand corrected! Thank you sir! I really couldn't remember but now that you brought it up... I do remember me bringing up his 40+ goal season and then he conceded that Point is the better goal scorer and Barzal is better overall at everything else (playmaking, passing, possession, stick handling, etc...) lol

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, saw the Sportsnet report. He's likely back.

If he is, NYI need to finish their checks each and every time on him. He won't be 100%.

Tampa will be better w/ him, obviously, but NYI will raise their game. Their atrocious puck management was an anomaly in gm. 3.

I respect the hell out of Trotz and cheer for your team all the time.

This is one of many posts that I was disappointed in. While you don't actually wish harm on Brayden, you infer it.

That I can't get behind. Again, love your team and your coach but some of your fans are less than desirable right now.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
You Isles fans need to lighten up. We aren't actually trolling Barzal until you guys work yourselves into a shoot.

NBC sucks up to him so much a first time viewer would think he's better than Point
Barzal is only 23 though. Point's 24 so clearly a grandpa.

Ah, shoot, am I being obnoxious now too?

Reactions: Byrddog

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I just learned that Casey Cizikas killed a guy when playing rugby in high school or something? Is that a well known story, I had never heard of that.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I just learned that Casey Cizikas killed a guy when playing rugby in high school or something? Is that a well known story, I had never heard of that.

that’s why he slipped in the draft. Was possibly a late first round prospect at the time. Definitely a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: JoVel

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
You tell me then, when did Tavares ever lead the Islanders to the Eastern Conference Finals. I shall wait for your reply.

I said they’d be a better team with him. As in they would have more talent with him in the lineup. Doesn’t guarantee success in the playoffs, although maybe they would have done well in the playoffs had he stuck around. Who knows?

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Barzal Point Marner as the kid’s line for Canada next Olympics. Add the Crosby for Pasta line, the ROR Scheifele Stone shutdown line and the speed kills McDavid Toews MacKinnon line.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

It’s never talked about but most serious isles fans are aware (I think).

not particularly well known around the league

Reactions: JoVel

Joanna

Jan 7, 2020
St. Petersburg
Pride of your team is one thing, being completely obnoxious coming off a win is something completely different.

And I take my comment back, it isn't right to wish anyone injury.
You do realize that each team's fans are obnoxious to each other? But then you take it to a different level and wish someone injury? That is beyond obnoxious. It's immature, mean-spirited, and reeks of desperation because your team in not winning. There's a lot of hockey left - instead of wishing injury on a player, try rooting for your team and finding the bright spots. Total bush league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad