2020 Draft

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Current scuttlebutt is the league is trying to do the draft in June while still playing out the season somehow. It appears that for one year only, the lottery winner would only move up 4 spots with no one else moving except the 4 teams (max) that were passed and they would only move down 1 spot.

Looks like the Jackets would pick 15th as the current non-playoff team with the best points % record. Would have a very,very slim chance of winning but I wouldn't hold my breath and even if they did win top guys would be out of reach at 11.

National Hockey League sends memo to Governors and GMs outlining case for Early June Draft - TSN.ca

How revised NHL draft odds would impact lottery teams - TSN.ca

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Actually I think we need to draft a defenseman with our 1st. Murray and Savard may be gone after next season and Jones the year after that. In the 15-20 range both Wallinder and Jurmo will both be there.
You've been a registered here for almost three years, this is your first post, and you drop a bomb suggesting Jones may be gone when his contract expires? Heck of a way to introduce yourself! I am not a gambler but I bet the odds are 90-10 or even better Jones signs a long term contract to stay in Columbus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
You've been a registered here for almost three years, this is your first post, and you drop a bomb suggesting Jones may be gone when his contract expires? Heck of a way to introduce yourself! I am not a gambler but I bet the odds are 90-10 or even better Jones signs a long term contract to stay in Columbus.

I think a lot of Jones' remaining in Columbus will be determined by how the team is doing and its outlook. This is Jones' one big chance to go where wants for the money he wants. Hopefully he stays and the Jackets' future looks bright but I don't think 90-10 is a realistic number.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Actually I think we need to draft a defenseman with our 1st. Murray and Savard may be gone after next season and Jones the year after that. In the 15-20 range both Wallinder and Jurmo will both be there.

At first read I thought you were nuts but after thinking about it a bit unless there is a bona fide top 6 C available I wouldn't be averse to picking a solid D-man. I don't think we need another winger.

Jackets Bob

Sep 28, 2017
Lewis Center, OH
I've been around a long time but when HFBoards changed servers a couple of years ago I lost my original handle and I've become inactive. As far as Jones leaving, I've never met him so I can't say what he's going to do but it's a possibility he'll go and we should plan for that. Also I expect Savard to be gone after next year. Without a 2nd or 3rd round pick adding some D depth with our first round pick might be a good idea imo.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I've been around a long time but when HFBoards changed servers a couple of years ago I lost my original handle and I've become inactive. As far as Jones leaving, I've never met him so I can't say what he's going to do but it's a possibility he'll go and we should plan for that. Also I expect Savard to be gone after next year. Without a 2nd or 3rd round pick adding some D depth with our first round pick might be a good idea imo.
I have no issues with drafting a d-man in the first round but its not because I am expecting Jones to leave. I am a strong believer in BPA

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't actually object to drafting a defenseman; I was just deadpan-responding to the Chase Young comment. Still believe in BPA.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I am not a gambler but I bet the odds are 90-10 or even better Jones signs a long term contract to stay in Columbus.

As far as Jones leaving, I've never met him so I can't say what he's going to do but it's a possibility he'll go and we should plan for that.

I don't know what the odds are that Jones wants to stay in Columbus or not. All I know is I was one of those saying to trade Panarin and Bob (if he would agree, otherwise hold him and let him go). So don't let what happened with Panarin happen with Jones. If Jones doesn't have an extension in place by July 1 the year before his contract expires I would trade him. He would fetch a lot.......just as Panarin would have last time. As a fan it was still worth it (you always like your team trying to win) but it really put them back as far as depth in the franchise.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Current scuttlebutt is the league is trying to do the draft in June while still playing out the season somehow. It appears that for one year only, the lottery winner would only move up 4 spots with no one else moving except the 4 teams (max) that were passed and they would only move down 1 spot.

Looks like the Jackets would pick 15th as the current non-playoff team with the best points % record. Would have a very,very slim chance of winning but I wouldn't hold my breath and even if they did win top guys would be out of reach at 11.

National Hockey League sends memo to Governors and GMs outlining case for Early June Draft - TSN.ca

How revised NHL draft odds would impact lottery teams - TSN.ca

Hey Espen!
I've been following this as well, getting into the draft this year. I don't mind the change to the lottery rule so much because our lottery chances are so low anyways. But one issue with a "pre-playoffs" draft, if it happens, is that it's going to really limit the Jackets ability to trade into the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Or more generally to make any trades involving roster players.

Someone in a trade thread offered picks for a retained Wennberg, and I think Ottawa in particular might give up 2nd(s) for him. It would be pretty neat if we turned Wennberg into Jean Luc Foudy, who is like a carbon copy of his brother and likely to be a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: EspenK

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've been getting excited about the draft and watching draft profiles on youtube. My favorite source is probably Draft Dynasty channel here: Draft Dynasty. I can tell my opinions are mostly just echoing his at this point. In any case, I played the game of drawing up a draft priority list for the Jackets, which looks roughly like this:

1. Lafreniere LW/C?
2. Byfield C
3. Stutzle C
4. Rossi C
5. Raymond RW
6. Drysdale RD
7. Perfetti C
8. Holtz RW
9. Mercer RW/C?
10. Perreault C
11. Jarvis RW
12. Amirov LW
13. Quinn RW
14. Holloway C
15. Sanderson LD
16. Lundell C
17. Askarov G
18. Foudy C
19. Gunler RW
20. Bourque C

The top 8 guys will be long gone when the Jackets pick. By my list, the best guys potentially available when the Jackets pick are:

Jacob Perreault C Perreault is never ranked in the top 15, but I think there's a good case for him. The knocks against him are that his defensive game is poor and he didn't generate many assists. But from the video I concluded that he just played on a tire fire team and that he can fix those issues. His puck skills look right up there with some of the best. Definitely has #1C upside but maybe a little more likely to be a #2C.

Dawson Mercer RW /C? This guy's game sense is something to watch. Eyes in the back of his head and great anticipation. I don't even like his skating and he's a RW, which the Jackets are chock full of, but I couldn't pass on this talent. He is strong all over the ice and looks like he'd make a great center.

Seth Jarvis RW An electric but soft playmaker. Jarvis is very fast and routinely makes plays at high speed. He is knocked for disappearing in big tournaments. I think of him as a discount Marner. He does look like Marner out there.

All three players look to be top unit PP guys at minimum.

This list is not exactly best player available, but close enough. I don't think you take a clearly worse player at any time but you go for need when deciding between players on the same tier, and I did that here. A couple names you might notice are missing: Zary has dropped off my list, he doesn't have anything special that would make him more than a good 3C, and watching Lapierre has made me think he'll be too frail at the NHL level. Then there are a bunch of lower ranked guys that I haven't seen much video on but could be top 20: Peterka, Khusnutdinov, Jarventie, Grans, Brisson, Mysak, etc...

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
If you d/l the THN app and register you can get their awesome draft preview issue for free (it appears it might just be for just 30 days). I used to subscribe to THN and the Draft Preview was my favorite issue.

Reactions: rotsbu

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-n...1fFHm6mxaADtImrftU8eTTZ1iyi4mJGuwKwIOeRwELK2g

Interestingly this mock has the same #15 as major does above. He is the son of Geoff Sanderson. The writers disagree with major on Zary comparing him to Bo Horvat.

I can't argue with Scheig's pick there. Sanderson looks like Slavin or McDonagh. He's going to be a great defender in the NHL. Offensively he could be a 30 points per year guy, or maybe 45, it's hard to know at this point. All that said I would have a preference for taking Dawson Mercer if he is available. Same tier as Sanderson for me and he upgrades the hockey IQ of the whole team.

I think Zary is too slow to be the next Horvat. Maybe he gets faster but it's not clear to me how he'll do that. He's already fully built and doesn't have any obvious defect in his form that is easy to fix. Yannick St. Pierre called Zary "Nick Bonino" and I can't shake that idea.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Made a Tim Stutzle hype reel - thought you guys might enjoy :)

Let me know what you think!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Made a Tim Stutzle hype reel - thought you guys might enjoy :)

Let me know what you think!

I think we don't have a shot of being able to draft Stutzle. Are you German by chance? Do you have anything on Peterka? He is a better bet at our range.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
I think we don't have a shot of being able to draft Stutzle. Are you German by chance? Do you have anything on Peterka? He is a better bet at our range.

I'm not German but the DEL has pretty good coverage. I'll see what I can do :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad