2020 Draft

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Looks like a weak draft for Americans. Sandy could be the only US kid drafted in the first round.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Want: Gunler, Mercer, Sanderson, maybe Jarvis, anyone who falls from top 10

Don't want: Bourque, Lapierre, Jack Quinn

Gunler is my #1 assuming his character concerns are vetted properly. I still don't really know where the character problem idea came from, but I saw it on the mains draft thread about him. Other than that, his stats are not much different from Lucas Raymond and Alexander Holtz, who are both rated higher than him. He's also got significantly better size than Raymond. Absolutely do not want Jack Quinn. If we did take him, obviously I'd hope he'd prove my wrong, but I'm not convinced at all by him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Want: Gunler, Mercer, Sanderson, maybe Jarvis, anyone who falls from top 10

Don't want: Bourque, Lapierre, Jack Quinn

Gunler is my #1 assuming his character concerns are vetted properly. I still don't really know where the character problem idea came from, but I saw it on the mains draft thread about him. Other than that, his stats are not much different from Lucas Raymond and Alexander Holtz, who are both rated higher than him. He's also got significantly better size than Raymond. Absolutely do not want Jack Quinn. If we did take him, obviously I'd hope he'd prove my wrong, but I'm not convinced at all by him.

There's nothing solid backing supposed character concerns for Gunler, just speculation based on the fact that he was left off of the WJC squad. He plays a pretty solid game actually. Just not a lot of motor.

I'm still not that high on him though. I don't see a lot of wow skill in Gunler. He has a good shot but most of his goals just come from cleaning up in the crease. He's a good bet to be a 20+ goal guy in the NHL but what he does is not rare in my opinion. We need more than a 25G RW. Mercer and Jarvis are always bringing the wow factor. Jarvis can pull off great plays at speed and has a great motor. Mercer has unreal hockey sense and the puck just follows him around and sticks to him. He's like a quicker version of Mark Stone. Definitely my favorite.

I haven't been too impressed with Bourque and Lapierre. Jack Quinn seems really solid all-around. Great battle level and the best goals numbers in the draft. I don't know if he is really special enough for us to take, given that he is a RW and probably isn't a 35-40 goal guy in the NHL. But I'd take him over Gunler. If Quinn doesn't turn into a big scorer in the NHL you'll still get a really solid skilled winger that plays a heavy physical game, and unlike Gunler, has a motor.

In any case, I agree that Mercer, Jarvis, and Sanderson would be great adds to the franchise. I'd be overjoyed if any of them fell to us.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New hype reel for Anton Lundell :) enjoy guys

I've included my comments on Lundell in the description and below.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New hype reel for Anton Lundell :) enjoy guys

I've included my comments on Lundell in the description and below.

Watching Lundell - he isn't flashy so his most valuable plays won't show up in highlight reels.
He'll intercept passes, win faceoffs, screen goalies, etc.

I think his steady all-around game will translate well to the NHL, and is a perfect player for CBJ and Tort's system

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Watching Lundell - he isn't flashy so his most valuable plays won't show up in highlight reels.
He'll intercept passes, win faceoffs, screen goalies, etc.

I think his steady all-around game will translate well to the NHL, and is a perfect player for CBJ and Tort's system

I know why you're saying that. It's safe to say that he'd fit. You can't go wrong with Lundell, I'm just not sure if he gives us something we don't already have. I'm hoping for more of a complement than a substitute. I'm thinking of him as a great all around 2C type, not as someone who could lead an offense. Big turning radius on that boat.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
I know why you're saying that. It's safe to say that he'd fit. You can't go wrong with Lundell, I'm just not sure if he gives us something we don't already have. I'm hoping for more of a complement than a substitute. I'm thinking of him as a great all around 2C type, not as someone who could lead an offense. Big turning radius on that boat.

Yee maybe a more high-octane player would be better - if Lundell becomes quicker though he could be so dangerous

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I realize we are discussing first rounders here but interesting article on TA discussing the benefits of drafting defensemen in the later rounds rather than forwards because they are harder to project. IOW it is harder to find a real offensive contributor forward in the 4-7 rounds and not as hard to find a d-man.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I realize we are discussing first rounders here but interesting article on TA discussing the benefits of drafting defensemen in the later rounds rather than forwards because they are harder to project. IOW it is harder to find a real offensive contributor forward in the 4-7 rounds and not as hard to find a d-man.

I agree in principle but Jarmo still seems to find great overlooked forwards in the later rounds.

I was just watching some WJC game highlights. Dmitri Voronkov looks amazing, built to be physically dominant in any league. Here is him running over Byram like Byram is some 14 year old:

I think Voronkov is getting underrated. He hasn't popped up on the top 2019 re-drafts but he's currently playing at a higher level than most of those players and when he shares the stage with his peers, as at the WJC, his scoring is at the same level as first round talents.

You can also find Russia's other games from the WJC at Draft Dynasty channel. Voronkov and Marchenko made good plays in all of the games. This game vs Germany is where you see them connecting the most:

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Finally finished the Jack Quinn hype reel :) let me know what you guys think!

Purest goal scorer in the draft IMO

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Another reel for Kaiden Guhle - one of the most complete defenders in the draft

Enjoy!

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New hype reel for Quinton Byfield :) this one was my favourite to make so far

Hit the like or subscribe button if you guys enjoy!

More videos are on the way

Reactions: Xoggz22

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-n...1fFHm6mxaADtImrftU8eTTZ1iyi4mJGuwKwIOeRwELK2g

Interestingly this mock has the same #15 as major does above. He is the son of Geoff Sanderson. The writers disagree with major on Zary comparing him to Bo Horvat.
Good article about Sandy. Interesting comment about his offensive stats I did not know:

Since the NTDP puts an emphasis on development (which explains why so many graduates end up in the NHL) rather than simply winning, Sanderson only saw big minutes in international tournaments. Otherwise, he was part of a rather egalitarian rotation.

“If we were a junior team trying to win every game, he’d be playing 25, 27 minutes a night like most of the other best players in this draft,” Appert said. “That’s not what we do because we have seven, eight defensemen we need to develop. So he plays his 18 minutes a night and his offensive numbers don’t look as dramatically high, but his ability is there...

Reactions: cslebn

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There's a new draft simulator tool that let's you do everything. Picks, trades, simulations, with different parameters for team needs and randomness.

draftsim

For example, I just traded our #18 for the #31, #36, and #67 and picked up Jacob Perreault at #31 (who I would have taken at #18) and Jean-Luc Foudy at #36.

Perreault
Foudy
Jarventie
Kaiser
Glotzl
Beryozkin
Baumgartner

Jacob Perreault is a scoring center with elite tools - skating, shot, playmaking - but doesn't use them with the ideal consistency. He played for an awful team and that has unduly hurt his reputation. His defensive abilities are all there, although his motor could be better.

Jean-Luc Foudy is obviously Liam's brother, and is almost as fast and actually technically a better skater in that he's very agile and in control of his edges. He's also got better puckhandling and passing. He does one thing over and over again extremely well - and that is carry the puck out of the defensive end and into the offensive end and circles endlessly. What he does from there is hit or miss, a lot of passes to the slot that no one so far seems to finish on. He might not be a 50+ pt scorer in the NHL but I think a breakout and transition machine is a really valuable player to have as a middle six center.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Fresh hype reel for Marco Rossi - who had with the highest PPG of this draft class

Enjoy guys! :)

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
There's a new draft simulator tool that let's you do everything. Picks, trades, simulations, with different parameters for team needs and randomness.

draftsim

For example, I just traded our #18 for the #31, #36, and #67 and picked up Jacob Perreault at #31 (who I would have taken at #18) and Jean-Luc Foudy at #36.

Perreault
Foudy
Jarventie
Kaiser
Glotzl
Beryozkin
Baumgartner

Hey, you can't trade 18 for 31, 36, and 67 because I already got that deal for 19:nod:

The draft simulator is addictive.
I like that you chose Beryozkin and Glotzl. Two solid choices considering where the simulator has them.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hey, you can't trade 18 for 31, 36, and 67 because I already got that deal for 19:nod:

The draft simulator is addictive.
I like that you chose Beryozkin and Glotzl. Two solid choices considering where the simulator has them.

I did it for like two hours today.

It gets a little repetitive because I can't randomize my own preferences. By my standards I'm crazy into the draft this year but still I only know/like about 70 prospects, and the same few are left in the later rounds every time. I do Glotzl, Beryozkin, and then the overagers like Sokolov, Gogolev, Simoneau, and Baumgartner.

Reactions: emptyNedder

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is Vsevolod Skotnikov a good goalie pick for Jarmo or is his name too easy to pronounce?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What kind of player do the Blue Jackets need the most?

I'd say we need a transition playmaker. Basically someone who can do what Panarin did. Carry across both blue lines and distribute. The Blue Jackets have been a dump and chase team for almost their whole history, with brief excursions like Panarin's line. We don't need help finding goal scorers. There's 6 or 7 different forwards who could score 25 or 30 in the right situation. Most of them have at some point. We just don't create the right situation with dump and chase hockey.

So that's my introduction to Jean-Luc Foudy. His familial relation might make you think he's just a speedster, but in the tracking work presented here he's actually both the #1 transition player and #1 passer, not just among OHLers but among all draft eligibles tracked. That's incredible. He should be available somewhere between #25 and #45. The speculation presented here is that his point totals were disappointing through no fault of his own, so he won't be going high in the first round as he should.

Reactions: Viqsi and rotsbu

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
I had the choice between taking Seth Jarvis or trading down to take Foudy. I took Jarvis but IRL, I would be trading picks and current players to get Foudy as well. That to me is a great draft with nothing in terms of great picks to begin with.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I had the choice between taking Seth Jarvis or trading down to take Foudy. I took Jarvis but IRL, I would be trading picks and current players to get Foudy as well. That to me is a great draft with nothing in terms of great picks to begin with.

I like the Jarvis pick. Elite skill and he is more of a sure thing than Foudy.

Once in the simulator I passed on Jarvis to trade down and get Foudy and another 2nd round guy I wanted. Both were gone at #31 and so was every other guy on that part of my list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad