2020 Draft

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I too am very high on Seth Jarvis. I was looking at players who could potentially be available to us at 21, and was hoping he'd be in that mold. But no, he's going to go really high. I don't now about 3, but he'll be in the top 10 I think.

Guys on my short list of interest at 21: Quinn (my #1), Barron, Grans, Perrault, Wallinder, Khusnutdinov, Mercer.

I like Lapierre but his injury history is very scary to me. I'm also nervous about it with Barron as well, but I think Barron's upside is really high (even though last season didn't go very well for him all around).

Last edited:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I too am very high on Seth Jarvis. I was looking at players who could potentially be available to us at 21, and was hoping he'd be in that mold. But no, he's going to go really high. I don't now about 3, but he'll be in the top 10 I think.

Guys on my short list of interest at 21: Quinn (my #1), Barron, Grans, Perrault, Wallinder, Khusnutdinov, Mercer.

I like Lapierre but his injury history is very scary to me. I'm also nervous about it with Barron as well, but I think Barron's upside is really high (even though last season didn't go very well for him all around).

But if Lapierre is there at 21 isn't it worth the risk to get an arguable top 5 talent there?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In reading about the draft lots of guys are saying CBJ need a D rather than a forward. I see their argument but I'd rather take a good F prospect with high upside and try D later on. No RW's either.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Whatever happens, I hope the CBJ make a 1st round pick. They can do that at 21, or move up, or back a few slots.

The Columbus Blue Jackets must draft and develop to become (and remain) successful. Not drafting until the 4th round for two consecutive years creates a very difficult hurdle to get over.

(IMO) This team needs draft picks and a full farm system (and development coaches) to fully compete.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Last year we drafted in the 4th, 4th, and 7th. This year we are missing a 2nd and 3rd. Next year we are missing a 2nd.

Unless there is a guy Jarmo really wants at 21, I am cool with something like trading our 1st this year for a mid 2nd this year and a 1st next year. We could use the additional pick.

If you buy the idea we need a young defenseman in the pipeline, we could use a pick in the 40s on a defenseman.

If someone another team might really want (Lapierre, Zary) is there at 21, I say let’s listen to some offers. Especially if we could get a 1st next year that is likely better than 21.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
But if Lapierre is there at 21 isn't it worth the risk to get an arguable top 5 talent there?

A team like Ottawa with a million picks is in a better position to make a high risk / high reward pick. I don’t think we are. If Lapierre is a guy they would want and he is there at 21, I’d be willing to trade back for their third pick in the 1st round (from the Islanders) plus more picks.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I;d take him in a heartbeat if the medical reports are clear.

I'd rather avoid him completely. Not only did he have the neck issue last year, which every one thought was concussion, but he actually had a concussion the previous year.

When I made my first list in the Spring I didn't have Lapierre as a first round guy because he was just so obviously injured all last year and three concussions is probably game over.

Then I heard that his doctors said it wasn't concussions last year, it was a neck fracture. So I gave him an asterisk. Obviously no one takes him high if they think he had three concussions, but if you do your intel and you believe his doctors then I think you take him high. Guys get over neck fractures, that part isn't the concern.

This is all of Lapierre's shifts from his first game of 2020-21. Lapierre looks stronger than ever. Very assertive and comfortable, something that he hasn't shown since this time a year ago. Lapierre is #92 in Blue, Mercer is his linemate, #19.

I think it's very unlikely Quinn makes it close to #21, he's the most well-rounded goal scorer in the draft.

Barron I suppose is like Lapierre in that you can say that his whole last season was ruined. But I haven't heard any intel to suggest that he's fixed now, in fact he's currently on the shelf after another procedure.

Grans I like as a rangy middle pair guy, good passer. Nothing special offensively or defensively.

If Perreault makes it to #21 we'd have to give it some serious thought. He has the best shot in the draft (better than Holtz), great skater and playmaker too. He'd be the most naturally talented forward in the organization. But what do you do with a guy that is not naturally driven? That's usually not something that can be fixed.

From the video of Wallinder I gathered that he's all skating at this point. He doesn't process quickly and doesn't pass well. For me, D that skate the puck beautifully but lack passing skill are not worth very much.

Khusnutdinov I don't know much about. He's very exciting to watch, and I know Will Scouch loves him. But he also mentioned that Khusnutdinov was less effective playing against the better MHL teams. That is the first thing you'd want to know about an energetic small player in juniors - how does it scale up?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In reading about the draft lots of guys are saying CBJ need a D rather than a forward. I see their argument but I'd rather take a good F prospect with high upside and try D later on. No RW's either.

If it's even debatable what our draft needs are then we can just forget about needs. You have to take what the draft gives you.

Unfortunately the one thing this draft is chock full of is RW with topline upside. But at pick #21, it's all guys that are 3-5 years away from making it to that level, and we have no idea what our lineup will look like then. If we were drafting in the top ten then it's a bit more like the NFL draft where you can slot guys in to fill holes.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
We've made it folks. It's the 1st day of the NHL Draft!

In Corey Pronman's latest NHL 1st round mock draft- He projected the Columbus Blue Jackets to take center- Anton Lundell
I don't think it means a whole heck of a lot... But, hey. I think mock drafts are fun to look at.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

In Corey Pronman's latest NHL 1st round mock draft- He projected the Columbus Blue Jackets to take center- Anton Lundell
I don't think it means a whole heck of a lot... But, hey. I think mock drafts are fun to look at.

It feels like this draft, outside the top 3 or so picks, is ALL over the place. I admittedly have paid just about zero attention to the draft until today, but on various lists I see Lundell in the top 5 and I see him outside the top 20. That's so interesting.

Stig Jenssen

Oct 3, 2020
It feels like this draft, outside the top 3 or so picks, is ALL over the place. I admittedly have paid just about zero attention to the draft until today, but on various lists I see Lundell in the top 5 and I see him outside the top 20. That's so interesting.
I just red an article here in Finland where Wild was drafting Lundell. I think he could be a good pick if he is available. It is nice to watch right now how Lundell and Bemström is playing In HIFK. Lundell In 1th line and Bemström in 2nd.

Jackets Bob

Sep 28, 2017
Lewis Center, OH

I would be shocked if Lundell drops past 15. Maybe the professionals know more than we do???

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
This may be a stupid question, but how do I watch the draft tonight?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This may be a stupid question, but how do I watch the draft tonight?

Is this like a vote, and you’ll do what we vote for?

I vote that you watch the draft while wearing a tutu, drinking some white claws, and speaking in a bad French accent.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Is this like a vote, and you’ll do what we vote for?

I vote that you watch the draft while wearing a tutu, drinking some white claws, and speaking in a bad French accent.

Consider it done.

Reactions: koteka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad