2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Do they have 60-70 point potential at least?
Everyone has potential. If you are talking about a 70 point center, you are now talking about a legit top line center. I think more than likely, Lundell and Holloway carve out careers are two way, 2nd line centers.

Mysak is the one whose ceiling is higher and also plays the two way game. But like I said, as of right now it is a bit of a mystery as to where he goes.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This time last year we would have said the same thing about getting the 2nd overall pick in '19. Who knows.

My magic 8 ball says we land somewhere between winning the cup and winning the lottery.
You are right off course. On both counts. Being a fan of this franchise, I never expected Kakko to be a Rangers. So to think that lighting will strike twice is a bit much for me.

Funny though. My magic 8 ball said the same thing.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Everyone has potential. If you are talking about a 70 point center, you are now talking about a legit top line center. I think more than likely, Lundell and Holloway carve out careers are two way, 2nd line centers.

Mysak is the one whose ceiling is higher and also plays the two way game. But like I said, as of right now it is a bit of a mystery as to where he goes.

Kevin Hayes got to 55 pts last year so I'm hoping for a bit more. Like a Ryan O'Reilly type.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
You are right off course. On both counts. Being a fan of this franchise, I never expected Kakko to be a Rangers. So to think that lighting will strike twice is a bit much for me.

Funny though. My magic 8 ball said the same thing.

Id piss my pants if we wound up with Byfield. He'd be perfect to play with Kakko. As far as the lottery goes look at Chicago who was a bubble team and moved up, also another thing to ponder is this i feel like youve seen teams get in the lottery in back to back years more often than people think. Edmonton for one and also Pittsburgh and Chicago. If we get the it really depends where we land. To be in a position to get Byfield will make this team a force for the next 15 years

Last edited:
Reactions: lucky13

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
What are our chances at Lucas Raymond? We need to start losing some games 6-5 or 4-3 soon.

2020-21?

Panarin-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Chytil-Byfield-Kakko
Lemieux-Lias-Kravtsov
Barron-Howden-Fast

Id swap Lemieux with Chytil. Part of me is hoping that he can take the next step and pot 15-20 goals and maybe be a Marchand lite. Thats 2 very scary lines, right there and a good 3rd line provided Chytil and Kravtsov get it together.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Id piss my pants if we wound up with Byfield. He'd be perfect to play with Kakko. As far as the lottery goes look at Chicago who was a bubble team and moved up, also another thing to ponder is this i feel like youve seen teams get in the lottery in back to back years more often than people think. Edmonton for one and also Pittsburgh and Chicago. If we get the it really depends where we land. To be in a position to get Byfield will make this team a force for the next 15 years
I'd love to get him too. But to get him, you need a top two pick. As a Rangers fan, the odds of lighting striking twice have historically been against us.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Absolutely no drooling.

Seriously, I agree with you regarding potential, but am also looking at where realistically the Rangers are going to be picking. Which means I take the top two picks out of the equation and look at where they ended last year. So around 6-8, the three picks that I mention make sense. At least to me. Sort of the way that the draft broke down this year after Hughes & Kakko.

I think this year's draft has more depth than last year, but the I'd give a slight edge on upside to the 2019 class actually.

Right now, I see a lot of very good help on the wings, but the center class beyond Byfield has me thinking more along the lines of "very nice second line center" types. To that extent, there could be some solid choices if the Rangers pick a little further down in the draft.

Last year I predicted the Rangers finishing in the 4-6 range, and they finished 6th. This year there are a few more variables and it's harder for me to pin down. I'll go out on a limb and say they finish in the 8-12 range. If that comes to pass, there should be some options for them that would potentially check off the box for BPA and the box for positional need.

Reactions: Joey Bones

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Understood, but last year everyone said, were too good for the lottery we'll never get there. It seems teams in the lottery return there more often than not as of late.
I think that most people last year were exactly thinking of a lottery team, with a few notable loud exceptions. I have pretty much the same expectations this year.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Right now, I see a lot of very good help on the wings, but the center class beyond Byfield has me thinking more along the lines of "very nice second line center" types. To that extent, there could be some solid choices if the Rangers pick a little further down in the draft.
That is where I lump in Lundell & Holloway. Would be happy with either. Again, Mysak presents the most intrigue and depending on where they draft would not hesitate taking Schnieder if he was BPA

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I think this year's draft has more depth than last year, but the I'd give a slight edge on upside to the 2019 class actually.

Last year I predicted the Rangers finishing in the 4-6 range, and they finished 6th. This year there are a few more variables and it's harder for me to pin down. I'll go out on a limb and say they finish in the 8-12 range. If that comes to pass, there should be some options for them that would potentially check off the box for BPA and the box for positional need.

im gonna agree with this. my thoughts as well.

dont see the high end centers this year though i do see alot of top 6 forward talent.

if we draft 8-12 theres some solid top 6 talent there for sure. I've mentioned a few recently and again, i like the euros here like marco rossi and a few of the russian kids in that range.

still believe we assemble a package for a 2C so its imperative we keep drafting smart, talented kids to restock the pool

Reactions: jas

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
NJ is surely getting Lafraniere...

giphy.gif

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh is destined to bet their entire “future” on a few last runs around Sid and Malkin, then have absolutely one of the worst teams ever for like 3-4 years, pick up two generational talents, and then win a couple of cups in like what 2026-2030... ;)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I am still a total illiterate on next year’s draft, but there are especially a bunch of CHL players from like 10 to 30 that I am not that blown away about.

TSN and co are driving this as the big Canadian comeback year when they will pwn the 1st round completely. But these things are systematic, it’s not about cyclical trends. The USPNDPTDNP program (did I get it right?) has done an awesome job. The Finns is in a real golden age and is doing everything right up until the kids are 16-17 AND they have a somewhat crappy enough domestic league that the kids fast can get into and get accustomed to the pro game without being marginalized. Russia’s program is just much more stronger and complete than ppl give them credit for. At the same time, the Canadian junior league teams are very team oriented, and run from the bottom. It haven’t been able to muster that elite development drive organized from the top. It’s each to their own at a team for team basis.

Canada will of course still always produce great talent. Like during a crappy period, you still have guys like Mat Barzal pop up.

But I think we have seen a clear tend where the CHL kids — as a norm — have dropped over the year on average, AND on average also kept dropping post the draft. And there are certainly a lot of kids out there this year too that I really wonder if they will be able to keep up and play a 100% skill oriented game and get production from it at the NHL level down the road. Like look at Ty Ronning, we all know that there is a heck of a jump from the CHL to the pro game. It’s not enough to be very skilled, you need to be very very very skilled to make that jump.

This is a bit of a down year for most of the systems that have produced a big chunk of the top talent previous years. Especially the US. For it to — still — be an extraordinary deep draft, the other systems will need to be tremendously strong. Will that really be the case?

Reactions: YoSoyLalo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad