2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Byfield is probably my favorite prospect in this draft thus far. I have him ranked second, but man this is a kid who has so much upside and would be a perfect fit for this roster.

Once he crosses over into the offensive zone, he's like an unstoppable force. The skating is tight and enables him to pivot with ease. The hands are soft and capable of getting a puck past the goalie or putting a pass right on the tape of a teammate. The vision is very good and he knows where he has to be, seemingly at all times.
Would love him, but the realistic choices for me are Lundell & Holloway.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Honestly, I think Roni Hirvonen is gonna surprise a lot!!

Roni Hirvonen was best Finn in Hlinka tournament and he's been OK in sm liiga.
But he's small only 5'9 tall and if he ever makes it NHL he'll be winger.

Yes Hirvonen is skilled and talented promising young player.
But due to his size i see him more 2nd round prospect.

Finns who might surprise and rise somewhere late 1st / early 2nd round if all goes well.
Oliver Suni Oshawa Generals OHL
Topi Niemelä Oulun Kärpät SM liiga / Oulun Kärpät U20 A juniors sm liiga.
Emil Viro TPS Turku U20 A juniors sm liiga.

Other Finns to keep eye on for later rounds ( 3 to 7 )
Wiljami Myllylä IFK Helsinki U20 A juniors SM liiga.
Joel Määttä Sioux City Musketeers USHL
Kasper Puutio Swift-Current Broncos WHL
Joona Lehmus Saint John Seadogs QMJHL
Kasper Simontaival Tappara U20 A juniors SM liiga.
Ruben Rafkin Windsor Spitfires OHL
Christoffer Sedoff Red-Deer Rebels WHL

Last edited:
Reactions: Joey Bones

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Roni Hirvonen was best Finn in Hlinka tournament and he's been OK in sm liiga.
But he's small only 5'9 tall and if he ever makes it NHL he'll be winger.

Yes Hirvonen is skilled and talented promising young player.
But due to his size i see him more 2nd round prospect.

Finns who might surprise and rise somewhere late 1st / early 2nd round if all goes well.
Oliver Suni Oshawa Generals OHL
Topi Niemelä Oulun Kärpät SM liiga / Oulun Kärpät U20 A juniors sm liiga.
Emil Viro TPS Turku U20 A juniors sm liiga.

Other Finns to keep eye on for later rounds ( 3 to 7 )
Wiljami Myllylä IFK Helsinki U20 A juniors SM liiga.
Joel Määttä Sioux City Musketeers USHL
Kasper Puutio Swift-Current Broncos WHL
Joona Lehmus Saint John Seadogs QMJHL
Kasper Simontaival Tappara U20 A juniors SM liiga.
Ruben Rafkin Windsor Spitfires OHL

Niemela is one I'm keeping a close eye one right now. Looking very solid to start. Thank you for the input!! :)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I like Rossi and especially Hirvonen.

It was funny, I was highlight scouting Hendrix Lapierre and was just blown away, I was about to create and a top 5 and have him 2nd behind Laf but ahead of Byfield and co. Then before I got around to it I noticed that I had mixed up the names, I WAS watching Lafreniere. The real Hendrix L wasn’t as impressive...

As everyone can see I don’t have track of these guys at all yet. But with that said, I am not blown away by this draft class outside the top 4-5. But there will be some interesting names as always.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harbour Dog

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Updated mocks....

2020 NHL Mock Draft & Simulator | Tankathon

1 (26) LW: Jake Neighbours (CAN)(5'11"/201lbs., Shot: Left, Edmonton/WHL)

2020 NHL Mock Draft | 2020 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

1 (17) C: Vasili Ponomarev (RUS)(6'0"/176lbs., Shot: Left, Shawinigan/QMJHL)

2020 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

1 (12) LW: Tim Stutzle (GER)(5'11"/165lbs., Shot: Left, Mannheim/DEL)
2 (43) C: Marat Khusnutdinov (RUS)(5'9"/165lbs., Shot: Left, SKA-1946/MHL)
3 (84) C: Evan Vierling (CAN)(6'0"/154lbs., Shot: Left, Flint/OHL)
4 (105) D: Michael Benning (CAN)(5'9"/170lbs., Shot: Right, Sherwood Park/AJHL) *U. of Denver 21/22 Commit*
5 (136) D: Alexander Nikishin (RUS)(6'3"/196lbs., Shot: Left, Moskva/KHL)

Not in full mock territory just yet, but here's a good list to start with. Stutzle is a stud and could go top 10, ATM. Khusnutdinov is a tiny, two-way type of player within the SKA system who could get a few games in the K this season. I think he is similar in style to NYR's Henriksson with less playmaking a more physicality. Vierling has good speed and vision and can find guys with the puck while pressured by the opponent. Think he's a little underrated, ATM. Benning is a solid offensive defensive who'll be going the college route. A little undersized, but very gifted passer. Also, likes to get under the skin of players. Nikishin is a big defensive defender who is already starting out in the KHL. Don't really know much on him, yet.

Thoughts?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Thoughts?
Just on the first round: I could not pass on Holloway for Stutzle. At least not yet. Truth be told, I would probably take Schneider as well there. As of today, I would also take Mysak ahead of Ponomaryov.

Tankathon's is the most unrealistic as it has the Rangers picking 26th. But if picking there, it would be a toss up between Neighbours & Zary.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
askarov is going to be a gem.

this kid has the goods and he's a lefty too.

top 5 perhaps ? i think so.

keep eyes on marco rossi the diminutive austrian and the slick russian ponomaryov.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Stützle with 1 G 1 A in last game. Beautiful, fast, deceptive snipe top shelf on the goal. How far can he rise?

Looks to me to become a brawny player. Not really tall but wide. Hard to knock off.

Agreed on Rossi too.

edit: Also, this guy. Jaromir Pytlik.
Jaromir Pytlik at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Just on the first round: I could not pass on Holloway for Stutzle. At least not yet. Truth be told, I would probably take Schneider as well there. As of today, I would also take Mysak ahead of Ponomaryov.

Tankathon's is the most unrealistic as it has the Rangers picking 26th. But if picking there, it would be a toss up between Neighbours & Zary.

Agreed, Holloway would be tough to not take. But at No. 12 you could swing either way. I view both as a top 10 talent, ATM. Schneider, OTOH, has had a pretty slow start to the season so it's tough to gauge how good he could be. I really like Ponomarev. Think he has the intensity to his game to steal pucks to create off of broken plays, which we are seeing with Panarin. Not saying he is Panarin (or plays like him), just saying that his motor is pretty strong. With that said, he is playing in the Q so he could be at a higher advantage. Mysak is a pretty dope player, too!!

As for Tankathon (and other mocks), they're early rankings based on week 1. I'm sure things will change. But if it were between Neighbours and Zary, I'd go Zary....

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Stützle with 1 G 1 A in last game. Beautiful, fast, deceptive snipe top shelf on the goal. How far can he rise?

Looks to me to become a brawny player. Not really tall but wide. Hard to knock off.

Agreed on Rossi too.

edit: Also, this guy. Jaromir Pytlik.
Jaromir Pytlik at eliteprospects.com

Really liking Pytlik!! He's showings a lot of skill for all parts of the game. If he continues, he could very well potentially be an all around player in the NHL!!

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I really like Ponomarev. Think he has the intensity to his game to steal pucks to create off of broken plays, which we are seeing with Panarin. Not saying he is Panarin (or plays like him), just saying that his motor is pretty strong. With that said, he is playing in the Q so he could be at a higher advantage.
For multiple reasons, they have stayed away from dipping in the Q early on in the draft rounds.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Byfield is probably my favorite prospect in this draft thus far. I have him ranked second, but man this is a kid who has so much upside and would be a perfect fit for this roster.

Once he crosses over into the offensive zone, he's like an unstoppable force. The skating is tight and enables him to pivot with ease. The hands are soft and capable of getting a puck past the goalie or putting a pass right on the tape of a teammate. The vision is very good and he knows where he has to be, seemingly at all times.
It's probably unrealistic but adding him would give us a potential dynasty.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Admittedly, it would bring the potential to dramatically change this organization's offensive firepower for the next decade and open a lot of doors for moves that can shore-up other positions.

What's the drop off between him and a center we can potentially grab?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

A lot depends on who you project as a center, there are several guys who I think will be wingers. Raymond and Perfetti are two very talented forwards, but I think they're wings in the NHL.

Lundell, Rossi, Lapierre and Holloway are also potential top-10 candidates, but I don't find they quite intrigue me the way Byfield's potential combination does. At least not at this time. Byfield feels like a perfect match based on organizational needs, his style, etc.

Having said that, I think you're going to have to be in the top 3 to grab him.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
After that you are looking at the Lundells of the world. Players like him or Holloway have the potental of carving out a long career for themselves, albeit as a second line center.

To my, Mysak is the one that can go either way. His potential is higher than the two I mention. But as of today, it is a bit of a mystery where he goes in the draft.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
After that you are looking at the Lundells of the world. Players like him or Holloway have the potental of carving out a long career for themselves, albeit as a second line center.

To my, Mysak is the one that can go either way. His potential is higher than the two I mention. But as of today, it is a bit of a mystery where he goes in the draft.

And those guys could be excellent choices for the team, especially if they're a little further back in the draft. But I can't say any of those players make me stop and drool over the possibilities.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And those guys could be excellent choices for the team, especially if they're a little further back in the draft. But I can't say any of those players make me stop and drool over the possibilities.
Absolutely no drooling.

Seriously, I agree with you regarding potential, but am also looking at where realistically the Rangers are going to be picking. Which means I take the top two picks out of the equation and look at where they ended last year. So around 6-8, the three picks that I mention make sense. At least to me. Sort of the way that the draft broke down this year after Hughes & Kakko.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Seriously, I agree with you regarding potential, but am also looking at where realistically the Rangers are going to be picking. Which means I take the top two picks out of the equation and look at where they ended last year. So around 6-8, the three picks that I mention make sense. At least to me. Sort of the way that the draft broke down this year after Hughes & Kakko.

Do they have 60-70 point potential at least?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad