Draft 2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Pretty good, actually. Aside from Gunler and Holloway (and the omission of Steutzle), you pretty much nailed the general consensus top-10 players in this class.

But I don't think Lundell goes top-5. I can't see how he goes before Lafreniere, Byfield, Steutzle, Drysdale, Sanderson, Holtz, Raymond, Perfetti, Rossi, and possibly Jack Quinn and Askarov.

Right, I'm in agreement with Lundell. I do think he deserves to be regarded as highly as those players, especially since he's now an assistant captain for HIFK.

Holloway underperformed to what most of us expected, but I can still see him developing an offense. Still think Wisconsin isn't the best option for him, currently.

Gunler was always a wildcard.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
You're going to go at least 7/10 on the top 10, not bad. I think Lundell has a good shot at sneaking in depending on who falls (Minnesota seems like a shoe in to take him) which would make it 8/10.

Stutzle was ranked in the teens up until the WJC. I wouldn't really call that a miss as much as a lack of exposure. There almost always one guy who explodes in his draft year and shoots up the rankings.

I'm just glad we got the #1 in a year where there is a clear #1 amongst a really quality group. I say this as a really big fan of Stutzle, Sanderson, Perfetti and The Ottawa Duo.

What does your top 10 look like now?

I honestly don't like making rankings because it's all just projections at the end of the day. I like to consider draft eligible prospects as a top 5, 10, 20 talent or like late 1st, early 2nd and so on. With that said, Lafreniere, for sure, is No. 1. Without a doubt. Easily the best player in this class, ATM.

Reactions: Ola

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
So Yotes, Hurricanes and Blue Jackets are out. Canucks and Canadiens continue forth to their next games.

Isles could pull off the upset, as well, mañana.

Gotta love playoff hockey!!

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
So Yotes, Hurricanes and Blue Jackets are out. Canucks and Canadiens continue forth to their next games.

Isles could pull off the upset, as well, mañana.

Gotta love playoff hockey!!

nothing better. Glad the habs won tonight. Friday night should be a good one. Wouldn’t be surprised for a 1-0 or 2-1 goalie duel

Reactions: Joey Bones

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Did Mercer not make your top 31?

He and a bunch of others are unranked. I started watching highlights of him but gave up I couldn’t get any read from them. I’ve planned to rank him after I watch a U20 WJC game (I wanna see Ger-Can again from this year).

Reactions: Edge

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Is he still on the 3rd line?

I think he is slotted to play on Mursak’s line who maybe is seen as their No 1 offensive center. But in the preseason game it’s listed as the 3 line.
315B3DE0-A1A1-4B55-8E25-558CE120737B.png

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Guhle and Jarvis are two guys that really fascinate me. It doesn’t seem likely that either would last to the Carolina pick, but if either are present in the mid-late teens then I would certainly be interested in moving up at the right price. A big two way Canadian defenseman like Guhle does seem like a guy that is way more likely to get drafted sooner than expected rather than later...

Reactions: Leetch3 and Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Guhle and Jarvis are two guys that really fascinate me. It doesn’t seem likely that either would last to the Carolina pick, but if either are present in the mid-late teens then I would certainly be interested in moving up at the right price. A big two way Canadian defenseman like Guhle does seem like a guy that is way more likely to get drafted sooner than expected rather than later...

Yeah, and there is going to be several big movements on draft day compared to the “consensus rankings” (ie mainly based on ppl taking McKenzies ranking and moving players up and down a few spots).

We basically only got McKenzies mid-season ranking to go on. In 2018 Kravy moved up 30 spots from midseason to draft day, Dellandrea almost 30 spots, Kaut up around 15 spots, Kotka around 15 spots, Wilde down 30 spots. And a whole bunch up and down 10-15 spots. And I am sure I am also missing some other of the biggest movers.

Teams are going to take the player that wows them. Right or wrong, Guhle really wows me with his defensive presence.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
With all the talk about the Rangers needing centers on this board i am surprised Zary's name isn't being thrown around more for the target with the Carolina pick. On paper at least he seems like exactly the type of player that our system can use.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There's a lot to like in this range.

Torgersson is a real sleeper for the 1st round for me. He might never be a big point producer but he'll have an all around game. Excellent size, very good skater and competitive. I'd easily take him or Heineman over Nybeck. But if we took Torgersson with that pick that's a safe pick and really we've got top end talent---one of the things we don't have are guys who can grind games out. So I'd be fine with us taking somebody like him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Am I reading that right that Karl henriksson is playing 1c?

1 LW actually.

He looked really good with Joel Lundqvist at C. Did the dirty work for the old man. Its perfectly possible that he will play LW for Frölunda this season, but I don't think its a big issue even if we want him to become a center in the future. At wing he is still very much a pseudo center who helps out all over the ice.

With that said, I don't think he got a set position in the line-up. But unlike last season, his competition is primarily from 2-3 other younger players.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Simplify it. To get 20th, need an ECF of Isles-Habs and a WCF of Van-Cgy/Dal. If none of these team make the conf finals, it is 24. For each one that does, it moves up 1 spot.

all true, and been written up often, thanks

this exercise was strictly re odds to 20th overall,
because at this point, w 4 series over, the only possibilities of that happening are known, and calculating the odds reasonable
its also a bit of a shout-out to the threads re toss a penny 3 times for 3 heads re Lafreniere pick in lottery 2
but of course, a lesser team beating Tampa, Avs, Bruins or Knights is not 50/50

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Lots of potential targets being mentioned, some better than others obviously, but without doing a count it feels like there is little chance that at least one of them isn’t still there when carolina’s pick comes up

Reactions: cwede

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Torgersson is a real sleeper for the 1st round for me. He might never be a big point producer but he'll have an all around game. Excellent size, very good skater and competitive. I'd easily take him or Heineman over Nybeck. But if we took Torgersson with that pick that's a safe pick and really we've got top end talent---one of the things we don't have are guys who can grind games out. So I'd be fine with us taking somebody like him.

Yeah, and it would confuse me if he didn't get into the 1st round. The kid has legit skill and is a huge asset away from the puck too. Its also hard to cap the potential of a kid like that. Sure he isn't the best sniper or playmaker, he isn't a puck wiz like Denisenko. But he is just really good overall.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I said "decent option on a contending team." Reading comprehension matters.
Yes, I understand full well what you said. That is why I am taking umbrage with it. Having someone like Kreider on your second line is an outstanding option for any contending team. Not decent. Outstanding.
Of the 8 best teams ("contending teams,"), he's the third best winger on most of them, worse than the third best winger on 2 of them, and better than the third best winger on one of them. So yeah, decent option on a contending team. Not a great, game changing second liner on these best teams. He's kinda par for the course on what these contending teams have on their second lines. But also not a bad option either; you could certainly see these teams winning with him swapped out for said replacement winger.
Ok. I will bite. Which 8 teams have 2 left wings that are better than Kreider? That would make 16 left wings on 8 teams that are better than Kreider. This type of list I need to see.
The best teams have top talent and depth throughout; but they also simply cannot afford to hand out $6m+ contracts to third liners. All these top teams (Colorado, Boston, Washington, St. Louis, etc) can only hand out about 4-5 of those $6+m contracts at a time. Panarin is one for us; in fact his hit is so high he's like 1.5x the salary of the top guys on those other contenders. We gave Trouba $8m, which is also higher for a non-elite player if you take a look at a lot of those teams (ie, Rantanen and Ovechkin are only getting $9m, they are on different performance tiers than Trouba). DeAngelo is already coming up and will approach the $5m-$6m territory.
Umm....except he is not a third liner. Nor was he a third liner when the deal was signed. So try again.
Gotta be careful with those contracts.
And I am fully confident that Gorton & JD are.
If our roster construction was Kreider to be a long term 2L, fine, but he's not gonna be. He's gonna be third line. Which is good - we've found two players better than him - that helps our chances at being a contender.
If he is going to be third line in the last two years of his contract that is completley in line with long team goals.

Ok. I will bite again. What two players are better than him on left wing with the Rangers? One is Panarin. Who is this other mystery special guest?
But what is bad is that contract is probably a detriment to retaining the real stars ahead of him.
Third bite. Which "real stars" are not being signed because of this?
Probably survivable given we have so many kids in the system as replacements, but.... better not make that mistake with Buch/Strome. Probably should trade them for cheap talent.
Who is whose replacement? Getting confused now. Replacements for these "real" stars?
And unless ADA is moved for a young-ish 1C/2C, there is no way I'm choosing to move him over Buch and especially not over Strome.
What is your trade profile for DeAngelo? What player fits the mold of what you are describing?

I have never advocated moving DeAngelo. And I do not think that management is looking to. But reality is that there are some moves that make sense for both teams and both fan bases cringe at who was given up. Will it be him? Hopefully not. But 1) his contract demands may be way out of line and 2) There are very specific areas where moving him may make sense.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
With all the talk about the Rangers needing centers on this board i am surprised Zary's name isn't being thrown around more for the target with the Carolina pick. On paper at least he seems like exactly the type of player that our system can use.
Zary is interesting because despite there being a lot to like about his game, you can't really point to any one thing and say "Yep, he'll definitely be able to do that in the NHL"

I do think that he is the type of player who wouldn't be too precious about his role and would do anything to stick in a lineup. If it works out for him, you get a player that is better than the sum of their parts due to the infectious enthusiasm and leadership abilities. He still has to refine his skating, but if he does that, I think he's a player.

Reactions: Joey Bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah, and it would confuse me if he didn't get into the 1st round. The kid has legit skill and is a huge asset away from the puck too. Its also hard to cap the potential of a kid like that. Sure he isn't the best sniper or playmaker, he isn't a puck wiz like Denisenko. But he is just really good overall.

I think he's a pretty safe bet to become a solid third liner with skating and size. He's about 6'2 and 200 lbs. now. Maybe his ceiling isn't top line but we've got top line guys. He's the kind of player we don't have enough of now so he'd be a good fit AFAIC---also a good alternative to Holloway if we miss out on him.

Reactions: Chytilmania and Ola
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad