Draft 2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
My super preliminary top 31 this year. Take it for what it is worth. Any input is appreciated! :)
  1. Alexis Lafreniere
  2. Tim Stutzle
  3. Lucas Raymond //Massively talented offensively. We can look at production, how last season went, intangibles like size. But in light of how open the league is right now, what works, Raymond is my No 3.
  4. Quinton Byfield //In 3-4 years I think that Byfield clearly can be No 2 as well as like No 7-8. Immensely talented. But I am afraid of that he will drown a little at the NHL level. Am I sure of it? Definitely not.
  5. Kaiden Guhle //Just massive presence on the defensive side. I haven’t checked around a ton, but I think I have him higher than many others. But his decisive ability for me is presence, presence and more presence. I just think that overtakes what others below him bring.
  6. Marco Rossi //Love his composure when he moves on the ice. Crisp executed offensively. I’ve been a little back and forth with him but landed here for the moment. How good is his potential really? In a way I think he is a bit of a Bryan Little type. Not super sexy potential. But with these guys, the future is a bit of a guess work and Rossi has a game that is good betting at.
  7. Cole Perfetti //Players like Perfetti is becoming more and more common in drafts. Skating, agility, balance, hockey sense, vision, hard to play against. Perfetti is a really good prospect. How good? Another guy I am a little back and forth with.
  8. Lukas Reichel //Everyone has different advantages and back ground and what not when ranking kids. Given that I don’t watch even remotely as much as others, I try to take advantage of that by really focusing on clearing away all noise and just call what I see. At the same time, it’s dangerous to err on the other side and make calls just to be a contrarian and get attention. This ranking might not sit 100% in the stomach. But seriously — I just think that this kid is darn good, AND that he also has higher potential than he get credit for.
  9. Anton Lundell //Lundell is a darn strong player, otherwise I wouldn’t have ranked him this high. Upside is a question mark for me however. Think environment and support will be really important for him early on in the NHL. If he gets just average support, production could be absent and pressure rise, OTOH, if he gets a ton of support, whoever got him could laugh all the way to the bank so to speak.
  10. John-Jason Peterka //JJ is just a very talented hockey player. I honestly think that if he was American, Swedish, Russian — nobody would have him outside the top 10-12. Kuznetsov type of talent. Explosive. Speed. Hands. Skill.
  11. Jamie Drysdale //Really skilled D. Think the market is a little saturated. Not to take — anything — away from him.
  12. Jaroslav Askarov //I don’t like scouting goalies. I don’t really know what I am talking about. But Askarov has all the tools obviously. I don’t buy the ‘don’t draft a goalie’ notion.
  13. Alexander Holtz //Holtz is as clutch as they get. His shot is world class. He works hard. A born leader. Winner. I don’t think the engine necessarily is there to become a good first line player, but a great add for any farm system.
  14. Marat Kushnutdinov //I think Kush is a bit of a boom/bust type (although I don’t like that term, what do you say, that he either is really good or really bad, hard to tell lol, but in this case, more from a development POV). But I think he should be alright.
  15. Daniel Torgesson //In terms of tiers, I think that maybe we see a drop off here. But that is not to take anything away from Torgesson. But he won’t become a goto guy. But the speed, wheels, hockey sense is all there, along with impeccable work ethic and stamina. Strong on the puck too.
  16. Jake Sanderson //Very solid pick no matter if you pick him here or a little higher.
  17. Jan Myzak //It’s hard to not draw comparisons to someone like Cirelli with Mysak. Such a strong engine and drive,
  18. Emil Andrae //Think Fox but at LD. Very smart. Very competitive. Gets the job done.
  19. Justin Barron //The complete package. Again, someone that like just is a great add to any farm system. I have a hard time kind of nailing down if I think this is a kid ‘that gets the job done’ or not, if the jury is out. But I’ve liked him a lot since last season and remain bullish.
  20. Zion Nybeck //Zion is also one of the harder kids to rank. To put it like this, due to playing in the SHL I definitely think that his non-strengths are magnified a bit compared to if he played junior hockey. Among his peers, he is just one of the best. How well will that transform to the NHL? Better than for most is a pretty safe bet. I leave him here for now.
  21. Seth Jarvis //It’s late, I continue tomorrow with comments. :)
  22. Braiden Schneider
  23. Dylan Holloway
  24. Jean Luc Foudy
  25. Joel Blomqvist
  26. Noel Gunler
  27. Radion Amirov
  28. Yan Kutznetsov
  29. Jack Quinn
  30. Jake Neighbours
  31. Helge Grans

This is so wacky and all over the place and I love it.

Mark me down as a Lukas Reichel believer. Not as much as you but if he slips beyond the mid teens hes a steal.

Reactions: UnSandvich and Ola

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
You're going to go at least 7/10 on the top 10, not bad. I think Lundell has a good shot at sneaking in depending on who falls (Minnesota seems like a shoe in to take him) which would make it 8/10.

Stutzle was ranked in the teens up until the WJC. I wouldn't really call that a miss as much as a lack of exposure. There almost always one guy who explodes in his draft year and shoots up the rankings.

I'm just glad we got the #1 in a year where there is a clear #1 amongst a really quality group.
I say this as a really big fan of Stutzle, Sanderson, Perfetti and The Ottawa Duo.

What does your top 10 look like now?
God, could you imagine if it was during the Hischier/Patrick draft? We’d have 50/50 camps on here going at each other’s throats around the clock.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
My super preliminary top 31 this year. Take it for what it is worth. Any input is appreciated! :)
  1. Alexis Lafreniere
  2. Tim Stutzle
  3. Lucas Raymond //Massively talented offensively. We can look at production, how last season went, intangibles like size. But in light of how open the league is right now, what works, Raymond is my No 3.
  4. Quinton Byfield //In 3-4 years I think that Byfield clearly can be No 2 as well as like No 7-8. Immensely talented. But I am afraid of that he will drown a little at the NHL level. Am I sure of it? Definitely not.
  5. Kaiden Guhle //Just massive presence on the defensive side. I haven’t checked around a ton, but I think I have him higher than many others. But his decisive ability for me is presence, presence and more presence. I just think that overtakes what others below him bring.
  6. Marco Rossi //Love his composure when he moves on the ice. Crisp executed offensively. I’ve been a little back and forth with him but landed here for the moment. How good is his potential really? In a way I think he is a bit of a Bryan Little type. Not super sexy potential. But with these guys, the future is a bit of a guess work and Rossi has a game that is good betting at.
  7. Cole Perfetti //Players like Perfetti is becoming more and more common in drafts. Skating, agility, balance, hockey sense, vision, hard to play against. Perfetti is a really good prospect. How good? Another guy I am a little back and forth with.
  8. Lukas Reichel //Everyone has different advantages and back ground and what not when ranking kids. Given that I don’t watch even remotely as much as others, I try to take advantage of that by really focusing on clearing away all noise and just call what I see. At the same time, it’s dangerous to err on the other side and make calls just to be a contrarian and get attention. This ranking might not sit 100% in the stomach. But seriously — I just think that this kid is darn good, AND that he also has higher potential than he get credit for.
  9. Anton Lundell //Lundell is a darn strong player, otherwise I wouldn’t have ranked him this high. Upside is a question mark for me however. Think environment and support will be really important for him early on in the NHL. If he gets just average support, production could be absent and pressure rise, OTOH, if he gets a ton of support, whoever got him could laugh all the way to the bank so to speak.
  10. John-Jason Peterka //JJ is just a very talented hockey player. I honestly think that if he was American, Swedish, Russian — nobody would have him outside the top 10-12. Kuznetsov type of talent. Explosive. Speed. Hands. Skill.
  11. Jamie Drysdale //Really skilled D. Think the market is a little saturated. Not to take — anything — away from him.
  12. Jaroslav Askarov //I don’t like scouting goalies. I don’t really know what I am talking about. But Askarov has all the tools obviously. I don’t buy the ‘don’t draft a goalie’ notion.
  13. Alexander Holtz //Holtz is as clutch as they get. His shot is world class. He works hard. A born leader. Winner. I don’t think the engine necessarily is there to become a good first line player, but a great add for any farm system.
  14. Marat Kushnutdinov //I think Kush is a bit of a boom/bust type (although I don’t like that term, what do you say, that he either is really good or really bad, hard to tell lol, but in this case, more from a development POV). But I think he should be alright.
  15. Daniel Torgesson //In terms of tiers, I think that maybe we see a drop off here. But that is not to take anything away from Torgesson. But he won’t become a goto guy. But the speed, wheels, hockey sense is all there, along with impeccable work ethic and stamina. Strong on the puck too.
  16. Jake Sanderson //Very solid pick no matter if you pick him here or a little higher.
  17. Jan Myzak //It’s hard to not draw comparisons to someone like Cirelli with Mysak. Such a strong engine and drive,
  18. Emil Andrae //Think Fox but at LD. Very smart. Very competitive. Gets the job done.
  19. Justin Barron //The complete package. Again, someone that like just is a great add to any farm system. I have a hard time kind of nailing down if I think this is a kid ‘that gets the job done’ or not, if the jury is out. But I’ve liked him a lot since last season and remain bullish.
  20. Zion Nybeck //Zion is also one of the harder kids to rank. To put it like this, due to playing in the SHL I definitely think that his non-strengths are magnified a bit compared to if he played junior hockey. Among his peers, he is just one of the best. How well will that transform to the NHL? Better than for most is a pretty safe bet. I leave him here for now.
  21. Seth Jarvis //It’s late, I continue tomorrow with comments. :)
  22. Braiden Schneider
  23. Dylan Holloway
  24. Jean Luc Foudy
  25. Joel Blomqvist
  26. Noel Gunler
  27. Radion Amirov
  28. Yan Kutznetsov
  29. Jack Quinn
  30. Jake Neighbours
  31. Helge Grans

Did Mercer not make your top 31?

Reactions: Joey Bones

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Ok, so now, Canes pick, which NYR have, no later than 24.

For each of
'yotes(unlikely, down 4-0 in elimination game) ,
Habs (facing elimination tonight),
Canucks [correction, series 2-2 but 'nucks lost 2 straight to defending champs]
Calgary/Stars,
or Islanders,
who win TWO rounds,
pick improves by 1

Annoying when fate makes me root for Isles, but i will hold my nose, and hope they don't lose til ECF

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

For each of
Canucks(facing elimination tomorrow)
Calgary/Stars,
or Islanders,
who win TWO rounds,
pick improves by 1

Annoying when fate makes me root for Isles, but i will hold my nose, and hope they don't lose til ECF

They're tied 2-2.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

For each of
Calgary/Stars,
or Islanders,
who win TWO rounds,
pick improves by 1

Canucks and Blues are tied 2-2. If the Canucks win tonight, they could move on Friday.

TopShelf86

Aug 16, 2020

For each of
Calgary/Stars,
or Islanders,
who win TWO rounds,
pick improves by 1

True but regardless of where the pick lands...they have to push hard to move that pick up
I'd love Buffalos pick i just dont know what they'd accept for that to work out

There's gotta be a team in the teens that wants a roster player instead of a prospect that wonthelp them now
Maybe Buffalo takes Strome and the Car Pick...oh I'd love that
Maybe they'd want Buch idk

Reactions: mschmidt64

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
True but regardless of where the pick lands...they have to push hard to move that pick up

There's gotta be a team in the teens that wants a roster player instead of a prospect that wonthelp them now

I am fine w keeping it, thats near where NYR snagged K'Andre, maybe a few past Chytil and sooner than Nils

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

If either is on the table Rangers SHOULD be all over it. Whether they will or not is another matter.

Reactions: TopShelf86

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just realized I never posted my list:

My top 45

1. Lafreniere
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle
4. Holtz
5. Rossi
6. Raymond
7. Askarov
8. Drysdale
9. Sanderson
10. Perfetti
11. Lundell
12. Mercer
13. Quinn
14. Jarvis
15. Guhle
16. Holloway
17.Bourque
18. Lapierre
19. Schneider
20. Gunler
21. Amirov
22. Peterka
23. Mysak
24. Perrault
25. Poirer
26. Brisson
27. Reichel
28.Torgersson
29. Khusnutdinov
30. Foerster
31. Sourdif
32. Zary
33. Neighbors
34. Weisblatt
35. Greig
36. O'Rourke
37. Wallinder
38. Barron
39. Grans
40. Bordeleau
41. Cuylle
42. Neiderbach
43. Smilanic
44. Vierling
45. Mukhamadullin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

My top 45

1. Lafreniere
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle
4. Holtz
5. Rossi
6. Raymond
7. Askarov
8. Drysdale
9. Sanderson
10. Perfetti
11. Lundell
12. Mercer
13. Quinn
14. Jarvis
15. Guhle
16. Holloway
17.Bourque
18. Lapierre
19. Schneider
20. Gunler
21. Amirov
22. Peterka
23. Mysak
24. Perrault
25. Poirer
26. Brisson
27. Reichel
28.Torgersson
29. Khusnutdinov
30. Foerster
31. Sourdif
32. Zary
33. Neighbors
34. Weisblatt
35. Greig
36. O'Rourke
37. Wallinder
38. Barron
39. Grans
40. Bordeleau
41. Cuylle
42. Neiderbach
43. Smilanic
44. Vierling
45. Mukhamadullin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
You think Mysak will be our guy?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

My top 45

1. Lafreniere
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle
4. Holtz
5. Rossi
6. Raymond
7. Askarov
8. Drysdale
9. Sanderson
10. Perfetti
11. Lundell
12. Mercer
13. Quinn
14. Jarvis
15. Guhle
16. Holloway
17.Bourque
18. Lapierre
19. Schneider
20. Gunler
21. Amirov
22. Peterka
23. Mysak
24. Perrault
25. Poirer
26. Brisson
27. Reichel
28.Torgersson
29. Khusnutdinov
30. Foerster
31. Sourdif
32. Zary
33. Neighbors
34. Weisblatt
35. Greig
36. O'Rourke
37. Wallinder
38. Barron
39. Grans
40. Bordeleau
41. Cuylle
42. Neiderbach
43. Smilanic
44. Vierling
45. Mukhamadullin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

You’ve got a few guys higher than I’ve seen on draftsim, most notably Sourdif. Cuylle and Vierling.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You’ve got a few guys higher than I’ve seen on draftsim, most notably Sourdif. Cuylle and Vierling.

Sourdif to me is a kid who has just as good of a shot as a lot of guys in back 1/3 of the first round - and I think he's a guy who can play a pro-style game that allows him to be used in different situations and with different players. I think he's a good balance between upside and having good odds to play in the NHL.

Vierling has a clear path to the NHL, even if it isn't the most flashy of roles. I don't know if he's quite in that top-six mold for a cup contending team, but I sure as heck think he could find his way into a third line role on better teams and have a long career.

Cuylle is another kid who I think has a very specific path and role in the NHL. He's one of those guys who could be a 20 goal/40 point player in the OHL, and then turn around have a very similar looking season in the NHL if he's paired with the right guys and he develops. He's skilled enough that I think he can hang as a support player with more naturally gifted linemates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad