Draft 2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
"With that said my way too early top 10 of 2020....

1. LW: Alexis Lafreniere
2. C/LW: Anton Lundell
3. RW: Lucas Raymond
4. C: Quinton Byfield
5. LW/RW: Alexander Holtz
6. C: Cole Perfetti
7. D: Jamie Drysdale
8. LW/RW: Noel Gunler
9. C: Marco Rossi
10. C: Dylan Holloway

Best goalie is Yaroslav Askarov!!"

I love to bring this up usually a week before the draft to compare and contrast with what I predicted a year ago (always for fun). Crazy to think last year this was my preliminary guess for the top 10. I have to say, I didn't do too bad. The only thing I missed on big was Stutzle, but I forgot Stutzle was ranked in the early teens before the season started. Lundell and Raymond fell, but I do think Lundell could still sneak into that top 5 somehow (depending on team's lists).

Any thoughts?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Legit. As in produces top line production. That is pretty legit. As in no matter how you slice and dice it, top line production. Debated where in the bell curve, sure. But non-debateable that it is top line production.

Well that's kind of the thing of it, isn't it? Being the worst first liner in the league wouldn't be a good thing necessarily, if that's where you were slotted.

Isn't that what he is for the Rangers? Seems to be there is another left wing that is ahead of him on the depth charts.

Sure. My problem is not with Kreider being our second best left wing if that was the clear path forward. I think Kreider as your second line left winger is probably a decent option for a contending team, though I'd also bet that most of the very best teams have more than 2 wingers better than Kreider (and I'm hoping the Rangers are aspiring to build one of the "very best teams," and not settle for second round playoff exits).

My problem would be Kreider being our best left wing (a 52 point first liner is sub optimal and I've already seen the version of the Rangers where their best scorers get 50-something points, I'm not interested in that again). Luckily he's not that anymore.

But what he is, is likely to be very expensive for being our THIRD best left wing. And unless you are burying your head in the sand in deliberate ignorance, you are forced to acknowledge that this is about to happen and you should plan all your moves around it.... that Lafreniere and Panarin are about to be your two best LWs.

And on top of that, he's also likely to be very expensive for being our 5th or 6th scorer in general (because despite your insistence that we only count the left wings ahead of him, salary cap management insists that we count all the wingers and forwards who are better than him, since they will also have to be paid).

Maybe. But if he slides down to the third line in the last several years of his deal, then it is money well spent. And if circumstances cause him to slide down earlier and he is still productive (being the best net front presence in the NHL means something) then it is still money well spent.

It's money well spent if it doesn't prohibit us from obtaining or retaining someone else we need more. In a limitless cap universe obviously having Kreider on your third line is an amazing value.

In a world where we are paying Panarin and Trouba big dollars already, and will have to during the life of Kreider's 7 year deal pay also: Lafreniere, Kakko, Shesterkin, Fox, Zibanejad, and probably also a few of Miller, Kravtsov, Chytil, Lindgren, DeAngelo, a second line center to be named, Lundkvist, and others, well, that might be money better spent elsewhere.

The contract is probably survivable if he's the only third liner locked up long term for that money. Giving Strome or Buch that money only to see them also relegated to third line status would not be wise for the long term cap finances of the team (which is why they should be traded sooner rather than later, since they aren't going to want to take short term discounts, but the team would be foolish to give them 4-5-6 year deals for big money that cannot be moved when they are surpassed).

But can he first step a toe onto NHL ice before this is being discussed as an issue?

No, it can't. Planning ahead is important.

I didn't say that. But first of all, the length of time that they can spend here can vary. They may well be here for far longer than you believe.

Buch and Strome are not going to want to continue to take short term deals coming off 60 and 70 point paces. If we can re-up them for easily movable short term deals, fine, but I do not think that's the wisest course of asset management. I do note obviously that Buch has one more year on his deal.

No, but between the various insiders here and folks that know prospects far, far better than you and I, my suspicion is that they view it far differently than you .

Many GMs are overly concerned about the present, though, because their jobs depend on it more than the future, so what they would do is not always what should be done. A safer pick like Holloway might be more appealing to someone who needs to sneak into the playoffs to save their job rather than someone trying to build a legit cup contender. That is one of the things that has been so refreshing about the Gorton/JD post Sather era.

For once we were able to say "We don't care about the present, let's make the future the best it can be, and make that the #1 priority."

And trading out assets who are not all that appealing as top 6ers (like Strome, or like a projected to-be-surpassed Buchnevich, or Kreider before he got his long term deal; he's here to stay now) is how you smartly trade some of the present for a better future.

Reactions: BobMarleyNYR

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

I love to bring this up usually a week before the draft to compare and contrast with what I predicted a year ago (always for fun). Crazy to think last year this was my preliminary guess for the top 10. I have to say, I didn't do too bad. The only thing I missed on big was Stutzle, but I forgot Stutzle was ranked in the early teens before the season started. Lundell and Raymond fell, but I do think Lundell could still sneak into that top 5 somehow (depending on team's lists).

Any thoughts?
Feels way closer than most years. I wonder if that is just this draft class has or hasn’t lived up to expectations in equal parts towards the top of it or if it has something to do with the season ending early, or maybe bits of both

Reactions: Joey Bones

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Feels way closer than most years. I wonder if that is just this draft class has or hasn’t lived up to expectations in equal parts towards the top of it or if it has something to do with the season ending early, or maybe bits of both

This is a weird class.

On the one hand, the uppper half of the draft really didn't quite meet expectations. Not that they didn't do well; it just feels like many guys fell somewhat short of expectations.

On the other hand, there is some really intriguing talent that will be on the board in the second and third rounds. The question is whether or not there are legitimately good hands in there, or a bunch of hands that are a card or two short of being something with which you can win.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well that's kind of the thing of it, isn't it? Being the worst first liner in the league wouldn't be a good thing necessarily, if that's where you were slotted.
First of all a first liner is a first liner. Second of all, he is faaaaar from being the worst top line left wing in the NHL.
Sure. My problem is not with Kreider being our second best left wing if that was the clear path forward. I think Kreider as your second line left winger is probably a decent option for a contending team, though I'd also bet that most of the very best teams have more than 2 wingers better than Kreider (and I'm hoping the Rangers are aspiring to build one of the "very best teams," and not settle for second round playoff exits).
Wow. We have now gone to Kreider being a "decent" option on a second line. #KreiderDerangementSyndrome
My problem would be Kreider being our best left wing (a 52 point first liner is sub optimal and I've already seen the version of the Rangers where their best scorers get 50-something points, I'm not interested in that again). Luckily he's not that anymore.
Sp your problem is a first line player playing on the first line? Or is this a case where it is not enough to simply be a top line player, you now need to be a super top line player to play on the top line?
But what he is, is likely to be very expensive for being our THIRD best left wing. And unless you are burying your head in the sand in deliberate ignorance, you are forced to acknowledge that this is about to happen and you should plan all your moves around it.... that Lafreniere and Panarin are about to be your two best LWs.
No one is burying anything in the sand. If you look back at when the contract was signed, I stated multiple times that chances are the last several years he will probably slide down to the third line. I was fine with that then and I am more than fine with that now.
And on top of that, he's also likely to be very expensive for being our 5th or 6th scorer in general (because despite your insistence that we only count the left wings ahead of him, salary cap management insists that we count all the wingers and forwards who are better than him, since they will also have to be paid).
First you want depth. Then you complain about having to pay for depth. Can't really have it both ways.
It's money well spent if it doesn't prohibit us from obtaining or retaining someone else we need more. In a limitless cap universe obviously having Kreider on your third line is an amazing value.

In a world where we are paying Panarin and Trouba big dollars already, and will have to during the life of Kreider's 7 year deal pay also: Lafreniere, Kakko, Shesterkin, Fox, Zibanejad, and probably also a few of Miller, Kravtsov, Chytil, Lindgren, DeAngelo, a second line center to be named, Lundkvist, and others, well, that might be money better spent elsewhere.
There are three players on your list that have never played one second of NHL time, one is not even in North America. There are also 4 players still on ECLs. There is another who played center who has really yet to show anything material at the NHL level. You have another that has not even been drafted yet. Sounds to me like this worry is a bit of St. Elmo's fire.
The contract is probably survivable if he's the only third liner locked up long term for that money. Giving Strome or Buch that money only to see them also relegated to third line status would not be wise for the long term cap finances of the team (which is why they should be traded sooner rather than later, since they aren't going to want to take short term discounts, but the team would be foolish to give them 4-5-6 year deals for big money that cannot be moved when they are surpassed).
One of DeAngelo, Strome or Buchnevich will get a long term contract. One will get a medium term contract. One will not be around for long. Does not seem like an issue to me. Nor does it seem like all are being locked into long term deals.
No, it can't. Planning ahead is important.
Then don't forget to devise a way to pay for the 2025 first rounder as you are planning for quite a ways down the line. Make sure you figure out who you are trading to make room for said 2025 first rounder and when.
Buch and Strome are not going to want to continue to take short term deals coming off 60 and 70 point paces. If we can re-up them for easily movable short term deals, fine, but I do not think that's the wisest course of asset management. I do note obviously that Buch has one more year on his deal.
My feelings on Strome and what it will take are well known. I can't regurgitate that again. Pretty much ditto with Buchnevich.
Many GMs are overly concerned about the present, though, because their jobs depend on it more than the future, so what they would do is not always what should be done. A safer pick like Holloway might be more appealing to someone who needs to sneak into the playoffs to save their job rather than someone trying to build a legit cup contender. That is one of the things that has been so refreshing about the Gorton/JD post Sather era.

For once we were able to say "We don't care about the present, let's make the future the best it can be, and make that the #1 priority."
And I think that Gorton and JD have very much said that and are in fact eyeing the present and the future. They are just not seeing it like you do. Which is where the issue comes in.
And trading out assets who are not all that appealing as top 6ers (like Strome, or like a projected to-be-surpassed Buchnevich, or Kreider before he got his long term deal; he's here to stay now) is how you smartly trade some of the present for a better future.
Are we back to this again? Playoff teams do not trade production for futures. Just not happening. Nor should it. Unless Gorton has no choice in the matter, those players are NOT getting for futures. This has been repeated over and over and over again.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City

Any thoughts?

Pretty good, actually. Aside from Gunler and Holloway (and the omission of Steutzle), you pretty much nailed the general consensus top-10 players in this class.

But I don't think Lundell goes top-5. I can't see how he goes before Lafreniere, Byfield, Steutzle, Drysdale, Sanderson, Holtz, Raymond, Perfetti, Rossi, and possibly Jack Quinn and Askarov.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Pretty good, actually. Aside from Gunler and Holloway (and the omission of Steutzle), you pretty much nailed the general consensus top-10 players in this class.

But I don't think Lundell goes top-5. I can't see how he goes before Lafreniere, Byfield, Steutzle, Drysdale, Sanderson, Holtz, Raymond, Perfetti, Rossi, and possibly Jack Quinn and Askarov.

I would not be shocked if Lundell goes top-5, or 15th. This top of the draft can really go in 100 different directions.

Reactions: Joey Bones and Edge

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Any thoughts?

Raymond is playing well for Frölunda in pre-season right now. He is going to be a very good NHLer in 21/22. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone still was very high on him.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Aside from C, seems like the next position where we really lack depth in the farm is RD. Any guys you like in the later round? Maybe an over-ager like Alex Cotton or a POS like Mitch Miller? I assume guys like Barron and Niema will be gone in the first two rounds.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
I think the first round of this year's draft will have even more variance from the general consensus than it usually does. Getting to watch overseas draft eligibles start what would technically be their d+1 will sway some opinions, even if people say it shouldn't.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I would not be shocked if Lundell goes top-5, or 15th. This top of the draft can really go in 100 different directions.

Seriously, outside of the top 3 picks, this thing is wide open.

I won't know for certain until post-draft, but I know of one team that has Lundell fifth/sixth and at least two more that have in him in the top 10.

I can also tell you that I know of one team that has Lundell 16th.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think the first round of this year's draft will have even more variance from the general consensus than it usually does. Getting to watch overseas draft eligibles start what would technically be their d+1 will sway some opinions, even if people say it shouldn't.

I think there are quite a few European kids whose stock could rise or fall based on what teams as they pour over research and/or have a chance to see more of the players.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Seriously, outside of the top 3 picks, this thing is wide open.

I won't know for certain until post-draft, but I know of one team that has Lundell fifth/sixth and at least two more that have in him in the top 10.

I can also tell you that I know of one team that has Lundell 16th.

You should be Bob McKenzie's successor :D

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
First of all a first liner is a first liner. Second of all, he is faaaaar from being the worst top line left wing in the NHL.

Wow. We have now gone to Kreider being a "decent" option on a second line. #KreiderDerangementSyndrome

I said "decent option on a contending team." Reading comprehension matters.

Have a look.

Analysis: How close is every NHL team to being a contender?

Of the 8 best teams ("contending teams,"), he's the third best winger on most of them, worse than the third best winger on 2 of them, and better than the third best winger on one of them. So yeah, decent option on a contending team. Not a great, game changing second liner on these best teams. He's kinda par for the course on what these contending teams have on their second lines. But also not a bad option either; you could certainly see these teams winning with him swapped out for said replacement winger.

Sp your problem is a first line player playing on the first line? Or is this a case where it is not enough to simply be a top line player, you now need to be a super top line player to play on the top line?

No one is burying anything in the sand. If you look back at when the contract was signed, I stated multiple times that chances are the last several years he will probably slide down to the third line. I was fine with that then and I am more than fine with that now.

First you want depth. Then you complain about having to pay for depth. Can't really have it both ways.

The best teams have top talent and depth throughout; but they also simply cannot afford to hand out $6m+ contracts to third liners. All these top teams (Colorado, Boston, Washington, St. Louis, etc) can only hand out about 4-5 of those $6+m contracts at a time. Panarin is one for us; in fact his hit is so high he's like 1.5x the salary of the top guys on those other contenders. We gave Trouba $8m, which is also higher for a non-elite player if you take a look at a lot of those teams (ie, Rantanen and Ovechkin are only getting $9m, they are on different performance tiers than Trouba). DeAngelo is already coming up and will approach the $5m-$6m territory.

Gotta be careful with those contracts.

If our roster construction was Kreider to be a long term 2L, fine, but he's not gonna be. He's gonna be third line. Which is good - we've found two players better than him - that helps our chances at being a contender.

But what is bad is that contract is probably a detriment to retaining the real stars ahead of him.

Probably survivable given we have so many kids in the system as replacements, but.... better not make that mistake with Buch/Strome. Probably should trade them for cheap talent.

And unless ADA is moved for a young-ish 1C/2C, there is no way I'm choosing to move him over Buch and especially not over Strome.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Any thoughts?

You're going to go at least 7/10 on the top 10, not bad. I think Lundell has a good shot at sneaking in depending on who falls (Minnesota seems like a shoe in to take him) which would make it 8/10.

Stutzle was ranked in the teens up until the WJC. I wouldn't really call that a miss as much as a lack of exposure. There almost always one guy who explodes in his draft year and shoots up the rankings.

I'm just glad we got the #1 in a year where there is a clear #1 amongst a really quality group. I say this as a really big fan of Stutzle, Sanderson, Perfetti and The Ottawa Duo.

What does your top 10 look like now?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Aside from C, seems like the next position where we really lack depth in the farm is RD. Any guys you like in the later round? Maybe an over-ager like Alex Cotton or a POS like Mitch Miller? I assume guys like Barron and Niema will be gone in the first two rounds.

Whaaaaaaaaaaa

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Honestly, if I could make what I'm earning, and do it talking hockey all day, there's part of me that would gladly do it.

But there's a reason why I never wanted to be a scout, and eventually moved on to do my own things in the business world.

Yeah, we've been over this in the past. If I was 22, I would easily say yes if I was offered a hockey-related job. Now at 35, it would just be a step down financially.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I really like Cotton actually. I know there's always concern about guys whose numbers seemingly jump out of nowhere, but Cotton really helped drive Lethbridge this year. I'd dare say held his own against kids with pedigrees on that team. If this was his D+1 season, it would compare quite favorably to many of his peers.

He makes smart decisions with the puck, is really good with the breakout pass and has above average straight ahead speed.

I had some people tell me that his defense was sub-par, and I didn't find that to be the case. It needs work if he hopes to advance to the next level, but I didn't find it be something that is impossible to improve, or some kind of fatal flaw. He needs to position himself better and I think if he improves his edgework it will go a long way to helping him pivot more efficiently.

There are, theoretically, options I like better in the third who might still be on the board. But Cotton isn't completely out of range there. As a fourth, I think he'd be a very solid pick.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Aside from C, seems like the next position where we really lack depth in the farm is RD...

Whaaaaaaaaaaa

yeah quality over quantity - Raddysh today, Lundkvist & Skinner in a year, then ???

and what if they trade ADA? his social media nonsense this week cannot be pleasing the FO, inviting 'fans' to scuffle in-person outside MSG after games ....

a reason that each day this week, i will be glad if its NYR who sign Luke Martin
and why imaginary deals come into my head such as Gropp for Schemitsch, or Jaros as part of inevitable Ottawa Smith deal,
{ and oh if NYR could get rights to Kesselring from EO ...]

so yeah @RangerSpice, good chance NYR 2020 picks include RHD

Reactions: Ranger Spice

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
My super preliminary top 31 this year. Take it for what it is worth. Any input is appreciated! :)
  1. Alexis Lafreniere
  2. Tim Stutzle
  3. Lucas Raymond //Massively talented offensively. We can look at production, how last season went, intangibles like size. But in light of how open the league is right now, what works, Raymond is my No 3.
  4. Quinton Byfield //In 3-4 years I think that Byfield clearly can be No 2 as well as like No 7-8. Immensely talented. But I am afraid of that he will drown a little at the NHL level. Am I sure of it? Definitely not.
  5. Kaiden Guhle //Just massive presence on the defensive side. I haven’t checked around a ton, but I think I have him higher than many others. But his decisive ability for me is presence, presence and more presence. I just think that overtakes what others below him bring.
  6. Marco Rossi //Love his composure when he moves on the ice. Crisp executed offensively. I’ve been a little back and forth with him but landed here for the moment. How good is his potential really? In a way I think he is a bit of a Bryan Little type. Not super sexy potential. But with these guys, the future is a bit of a guess work and Rossi has a game that is good betting at.
  7. Cole Perfetti //Players like Perfetti is becoming more and more common in drafts. Skating, agility, balance, hockey sense, vision, hard to play against. Perfetti is a really good prospect. How good? Another guy I am a little back and forth with.
  8. Lukas Reichel //Everyone has different advantages and back ground and what not when ranking kids. Given that I don’t watch even remotely as much as others, I try to take advantage of that by really focusing on clearing away all noise and just call what I see. At the same time, it’s dangerous to err on the other side and make calls just to be a contrarian and get attention. This ranking might not sit 100% in the stomach. But seriously — I just think that this kid is darn good, AND that he also has higher potential than he get credit for.
  9. Anton Lundell //Lundell is a darn strong player, otherwise I wouldn’t have ranked him this high. Upside is a question mark for me however. Think environment and support will be really important for him early on in the NHL. If he gets just average support, production could be absent and pressure rise, OTOH, if he gets a ton of support, whoever got him could laugh all the way to the bank so to speak.
  10. John-Jason Peterka //JJ is just a very talented hockey player. I honestly think that if he was American, Swedish, Russian — nobody would have him outside the top 10-12. Kuznetsov type of talent. Explosive. Speed. Hands. Skill.
  11. Jamie Drysdale //Really skilled D. Think the market is a little saturated. Not to take — anything — away from him.
  12. Jaroslav Askarov //I don’t like scouting goalies. I don’t really know what I am talking about. But Askarov has all the tools obviously. I don’t buy the ‘don’t draft a goalie’ notion.
  13. Alexander Holtz //Holtz is as clutch as they get. His shot is world class. He works hard. A born leader. Winner. I don’t think the engine necessarily is there to become a good first line player, but a great add for any farm system.
  14. Marat Kushnutdinov //I think Kush is a bit of a boom/bust type (although I don’t like that term, what do you say, that he either is really good or really bad, hard to tell lol, but in this case, more from a development POV). But I think he should be alright.
  15. Daniel Torgesson //In terms of tiers, I think that maybe we see a drop off here. But that is not to take anything away from Torgesson. But he won’t become a goto guy. But the speed, wheels, hockey sense is all there, along with impeccable work ethic and stamina. Strong on the puck too.
  16. Jake Sanderson //Very solid pick no matter if you pick him here or a little higher.
  17. Jan Myzak //It’s hard to not draw comparisons to someone like Cirelli with Mysak. Such a strong engine and drive,
  18. Emil Andrae //Think Fox but at LD. Very smart. Very competitive. Gets the job done.
  19. Justin Barron //The complete package. Again, someone that like just is a great add to any farm system. I have a hard time kind of nailing down if I think this is a kid ‘that gets the job done’ or not, if the jury is out. But I’ve liked him a lot since last season and remain bullish.
  20. Zion Nybeck //Zion is also one of the harder kids to rank. To put it like this, due to playing in the SHL I definitely think that his non-strengths are magnified a bit compared to if he played junior hockey. Among his peers, he is just one of the best. How well will that transform to the NHL? Better than for most is a pretty safe bet. I leave him here for now.
  21. Seth Jarvis //It’s late, I continue tomorrow with comments. :)
  22. Braiden Schneider
  23. Dylan Holloway
  24. Jean Luc Foudy
  25. Joel Blomqvist
  26. Noel Gunler
  27. Radion Amirov
  28. Yan Kutznetsov
  29. Jack Quinn
  30. Jake Neighbours
  31. Helge Grans

Status
Not open for further replies.