2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
If Holloway was willing to be as much of a menace around the crease as Brady T was in the NCAA, I'd have no problem taking him at 13, but he isn't. Thats a giant, giant red flag for me because it's the only way he scores at the next level IMO.

There is a lot to like about his game but I honestly feel the offensive tool kit is pretty overrated, especially compared to other guys who would be around at that spot (or even later.) His reluctance to drive the net 1 v 1 is infuriating, especially since he's usually opting for a low percentage shot from 30 feet away instead. You've got the wheels, size and hands, use them.

I wouldn't touch him until 18- 20 at the earliest, but someone will.

Jumping from the AJHL to the NCAA as a true freshman is huge news, but he obviously showed his inexperience this year. You could definitely see the upside, though. Just needs to focus on his strengths. Also, could've been a confidence thing. There were times where he would rush up the ice and quickly throw it on net rather than crash. Think that can easily be coached. He has the tools to do so, just needs to do it. He, also, adds snarl to his game which is a nice bonus if the power game comes along.

I agree he's got to learn to use his big body, possession and drive to create offense one-on-one. He's got to consistently use his great stride to blow by defenders, too, but I think he is not getting the proper coaching in Wisconsin. Someone (whether the coaching staff or himself) is pushing for two-way play when he actually should be using his strengths for the power forward game (or at least attempt). Wisconsin was hot trash this season. He was one of the few bright spots. I like him at No. 13.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Jumping from the AJHL to the NCAA as a true freshman is huge news, but he obviously showed his inexperience this year. You could definitely see the upside, though. Just needs to focus on his strengths. Also, could've been a confidence thing. There were times where he would rush up the ice and quickly throw it on net rather than crash. Think that can easily be coached. He has the tools to do so, just needs to do it. He, also, adds snarl to his game which is a nice bonus if the power game comes along.

I agree he's got to learn to use his big body, possession and drive to create offense one-on-one. He's got to consistently use his great stride to blow by defenders, too, but I think he is not getting the proper coaching in Wisconsin. Someone (whether the coaching staff or himself) is pushing for two-way play when he actually should be using his strengths for the power forward game (or at least attempt). Wisconsin was hot trash this season. He was one of the few bright spots. I like him at No. 13.

Holloway is a stud. Very high IQ. He's been coached right for quite some time. I can see why people want to point the finger at Granato, but the Wisconsin issue definitely was not Granato and more the players. The egos in the locker room became unbearable. Agents were involved and mucked it up. Team leadership was fed up with some of the underclassmen (not Holloway). It's actually a miracle Granato got anything out of that group.

Granato gave Holloway every chance to succeed and often rewarded him with ice time more than other notables or upperclassmen because he's selfless, unlike half the kids in that room. The only mistake Granato made was recruiting the wrong kids. Holloway was the right choice.

I don't think taking direct routes to the net is a problem. He is a crease crasher and has excellent balance/edges. Plays inside and is fearless. My gut feeling is he puts up 25-30 points if a couple of players weren't there.

Gimme Holloway over Gunler or Mysak 100000 times out of 100000

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Finally finished the Jack Quinn reel :) let me know what you guys think!

Purest goal scorer in the draft IMO

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

Sweet baby Jesus

giphy.gif

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Holloway is a stud. Very high IQ. He's been coached right for quite some time. I can see why people want to point the finger at Granato, but the Wisconsin issue definitely was not Granato and more the players. The egos in the locker room became unbearable. Agents were involved and mucked it up. Team leadership was fed up with some of the underclassmen (not Holloway). It's actually a miracle Granato got anything out of that group.

Granato gave Holloway every chance to succeed and often rewarded him with ice time more than other notables or upperclassmen because he's selfless, unlike half the kids in that room. The only mistake Granato made was recruiting the wrong kids. Holloway was the right choice.

I don't think taking direct routes to the net is a problem. He is a crease crasher and has excellent balance/edges. Plays inside and is fearless. My gut feeling is he puts up 25-30 points if a couple of players weren't there.

Gimme Holloway over Gunler or Mysak 100000 times out of 100000

Agreed, well said!!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yikes, but a good chance the Rangers could get a chance for a high pick and a chance for the playoffs.

:popcorn:

It would seem like since we have Carolina's 1st and we're playing against them in the play-in (or so is the thought) that that earlier draft pick is going to stay relatively in the same place because one of us is going to knock off the other. At worse we'll go from 13 to 15.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It would seem like since we have Carolina's 1st and we're playing against them in the play-in (or so is the thought) that that earlier draft pick is going to stay relatively in the same place because one of us is going to knock off the other. At worse we'll go from 13 to 15.

We get whichever 1st rounder is lower from Carolina (the other one they own is Toronto's). We need Toronto to lose, then beat Carolina, have both win the lottery, and get a top-3 pick from Carolina as the TOR pick is top-3 protected, leaving Carolina with nothing :laugh:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

This is a fair point and his production did start to pick up towards the end of the year so there was that...

I get the intrigue and a power, 2 way 3rd line center would fill a need here if thats all he is but I'm not sure he's a center moving forward either.

Speaking of Holloway, why is he consistently listed as a F instead of as a C or RW/LW? Genuine question.

He can play all 3 forward positions.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Finally.

Fitz adding more fuel to the fire.

He seems to be going off Bob's spitballing/report yesterday that they were thinking of doing a lottery with the participants being: DET, OTT, OTT, LA, ANA, BUF, NJ, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. And then numbers 1-8 are randomly assigned to the 8 losers of the play-in round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad