2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I don't think that is right. the play-in teams all have the same odds....if one of the play-in teams wins the lottery than the losers will all be given a 1 in 8 chance to win.

The whole thing is too convoluted for me to figure out! Trying to read what's on here to try to make sense of it. Hopefully the Rangers come out of this with a top 3 pick, or at least a top 10 pick, depending on how the play in tournament plays out.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The draft lottery honestly isn't that confusing once you look at it 5 different times, lolol.

Basically, the initial lottery will take place June 26th for the 15 teams that would be eliminated from round robin play (the first seven teams) and the losers of the play-in round (teams 8-15). Teams 8-15 will be given a placement number based on points percentage as of March 12 (when the season was put on pause). The lottery will commence and if a team in the 8-15 range wins a pick within the top 3, there will be a second lottery for teams 8-15 to see who gets that pick.

Reactions: McSauer

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Won't lie (and I know he's 16 right now), but Shane Wright looks to be the next best incredible hockey player. He'll be in the 2022 draft.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
draftsim

Found a super dope draft simulator. Not sure why it has the Rangers picking No. 16 and No. 21 in this mock, but it's super detailed with needs and trading capabilities. Definitely worth it for whoever wants to try it out!!

Just wasted two hours on this sim as well!

There are trade capabilities there (pick for pick only), but they are weighted much too poorly to justify using them,

Reactions: Joey Bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
draftsim

Found a super dope draft simulator. Not sure why it has the Rangers picking No. 16 and No. 21 in this mock, but it's super detailed with needs and trading capabilities. Definitely worth it for whoever wants to try it out!!

I farted around with that. The further I went the more out to sea I felt. But anyway this is what I came up with:

16. Dylan Holloway-C
21. Seth Jarvis-RW (I was very tempted by Kaiden Guhle)
78. Justin Sourdif-C
84. Dmitri Ovchinnikov-LW (considered Ovchinnikov at 78 and he was still hanging around at 84)
109. Samuel Knazko-LD (was thinking about the 6'6 C Jack Finley here--we're not that much of a CHL happy team though and we've already got Jarvis and Sourdif--got to at least try to make those European scouts happy).
140. Landon Slaggert-C (USNTDP guy going to Notre Dame)
171. Alex Laferriere-RW (USHL guy going to Harvard)
198. Hugo Styf-LD (thought about the Lulea guy Ramberg here too)
199. Parker Ford-C
202. Seth Bernard-Docker-RD (maybe he'll catch up with his brother)

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I messed with the draft sim yesterday quite a bit, it's unfortunate the trades aren't realistic.

I'm been routinely walking out with guys like Holtz and Lundell, because evidently it only takes a 3/4th round pick to trade up from 16 to 9, and 21 to 13 lol

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I messed with the draft sim yesterday quite a bit, it's unfortunate the trades aren't realistic.

I'm been routinely walking out with guys like Holtz and Lundell, because evidently it only takes a 3/4th round pick to trade up from 16 to 9, and 21 to 13 lol

I thought it was interesting coming out of it with Holloway and Jarvis I'd both of whom I'd have in the 10-15 range.

.....and no I don't think a 3rd round is going to get you from 16 to 9 or a 4th rounder will get you to 13 from 21 on draft day whenever that is.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

The regular draft sim is pretty solid though.

Dunno why they have the NYR at 16?

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
It appears they're ordering by points, not point %
Part of the problem is that the western conference "wild card" has less points than the rangers. In a traditional season, that shakes out when the seasons over, and there's a hard line between lotto and playoff.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New hype reel for Quinton Byfield :) this one was my favourite to make so far

Hit the like or subscribe button if you guys enjoy!

More videos are on the way

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I farted around with that. The further I went the more out to sea I felt. But anyway this is what I came up with:

16. Dylan Holloway-C
78. Justin Sourdif-C
84. Dmitri Ovchinnikov-LW (considered Ovchinnikov at 78 and he was still hanging around at 84)
109. Samuel Knazko-LD (was thinking about the 6'6 C Jack Finley here--we're not that much of a CHL happy team though and we've already got Jarvis and Sourdif--got to at least try to make those European scouts happy).
199. Parker Ford-C

Honestly, I like this draft a lot!! I'm happy you went with Jarvis over Guhle. Not that I don't think Guhle is bad, but I think his potential is a bottom-4 defender, whereas Jarvis could be the next Marner. Love the Sourdif pick in the 3rd and the falling talent of Ovchinnikov. He's got to fill out, but Ovchinnikov is incredibly talented offensively. Knazko is another who could be a late round gem for two-way defense. Slaggert and Laferriere seem like slow cookers (especially Laferriere), but the potential there is interesting, too. I'd pass on Styf and would've went Ramberg there if he were still available. Ford is a good gamble for an overager. I'd pass on Bernard-Docker, though. He doesn't have any NCAA commitment and would rather NYR try for another keeper at some point.

Reactions: eco's bones

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Honestly, I like this draft a lot!! I'm happy you went with Jarvis over Guhle. Not that I don't think Guhle is bad, but I think his potential is a bottom-4 defender, whereas Jarvis could be the next Marner. Love the Sourdif pick in the 3rd and the falling talent of Ovchinnikov. He's got to fill out, but Ovchinnikov is incredibly talented offensively. Knazko is another who could be a late round gem for two-way defense. Slaggert and Laferriere seem like slow cookers (especially Laferriere), but the potential there is interesting, too. I'd pass on Styf and would've went Ramberg there if he were still available. Ford is a good gamble for an overager. I'd pass on Bernard-Docker, though. He doesn't have any NCAA commitment and would rather NYR try for another keeper at some point.

I agree every time I watch Jarvis he reminds me of Marner. Would u say he really has a chance at that level or would you say more of a Marner lite?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I agree every time I watch Jarvis he reminds me of Marner. Would u say he really has a chance at that level or would you say more of a Marner lite?

I think he could if he keeps working hard and develops. He has that drive to steal the puck from wherever and has the speed to blow by defenders. He's going to score a ton in the CHL and it looks like he could translate nicely to the pros. I think the potential is there to be a 1C with Marner like capabilities. At the absolute worst, he's a better version of Spooner.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

FWIW I started it again and this time Calgary took Holloway at 15--(we're going to be picking at least at 15--we're getting f***ed). But that picked changed the whole dynamic. This time I went with Jarvis at 16 and had a choice between Guhle and Amirov at 21 and went with Guhle and Sourdif was gone by 78. It's like I was running one round behind almost everyone I took the first time through. I took Slaggert, Styf and Ford again though. Styf is a stiff?

Both Holloway and Jarvis would be in my top 15. Guhle would be a little after. I'd rather forwards in the first round than defenseman but the thing with taking Guhle is size and edge--that's why I hesitated. I like physical players. Sourdif and Slaggert seem to play a hard forechecking game and I like forwards like that. I was thinking of taking Ovchinnikov when I took Sourdif and he was still there for our next 3rd rounder. That wasn't hard. Knazko's name rang a bell for some reason and in any case it was time for a d-man and the European scouts must have been hating me at that point. Bernard-Docker was throwing a dart at the wall and he's got a brother who might help him somehow, someway.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Based on my modest exposure to various first round targets, (and depending on on where the picks actually net out) I’d be perfectly happy with Holloway and Jarvis.

Beyond the first round I have no idea, unless someone Projected to go in the first round mysteriously drops.

I do expect the Rangers will add a goaltender in the third or fourth round.

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

16. Dylan Holloway-C
78. Justin Sourdif-C
199. Parker Ford-C

That’s a great haul for real, although I think Ovchinnikov will never leave Russia and is a bit overrated anyway for round 2 and 3. If they want pure skill from the MHL there are a bunch of others from better programs.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I think he could if he keeps working hard and develops. He has that drive to steal the puck from wherever and has the speed to blow by defenders. He's going to score a ton in the CHL and it looks like he could translate nicely to the pros. I think the potential is there to be a 1C with Marner like capabilities. At the absolute worst, he's a better version of Spooner.
When I saw Jarvis he couldn’t get D to show their numbers unless they were wildly out of position to begin with, couldn’t handle length by using speed. Also saw him undress a defender with crazy puck skills because the D was watching the puck and not the hips. Didn’t go hog wild until he started playing with Jack O’Brien, who was driving play(and will be a 1st rd pick next year.)

The question for a player like that is: where does he slot in the lineup in 4-5 years? 7th on the depth chart for wingers? Panarin, Kreider, Kakko...Gauthier, Buchnevich replacement? If Chytil gets pushed to the wing? Lemieux?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
FWIW I started it again and this time Calgary took Holloway at 15--(we're going to be picking at least at 15--we're getting f***ed). But that picked changed the whole dynamic. This time I went with Jarvis at 16 and had a choice between Guhle and Amirov at 21 and went with Guhle and Sourdif was gone by 78. It's like I was running one round behind almost everyone I took the first time through. I took Slaggert, Styf and Ford again though. Styf is a stiff?

Both Holloway and Jarvis would be in my top 15. Guhle would be a little after. I'd rather forwards in the first round than defenseman but the thing with taking Guhle is size and edge--that's why I hesitated. I like physical players. Sourdif and Slaggert seem to play a hard forechecking game and I like forwards like that. I was thinking of taking Ovchinnikov when I took Sourdif and he was still there for our next 3rd rounder. That wasn't hard. Knazko's name rang a bell for some reason and in any case it was time for a d-man and the European scouts must have been hating me at that point. Bernard-Docker was throwing a dart at the wall and he's got a brother who might help him somehow, someway.

Yeah the simulation is a bit off, but it's the developer's first try so they'll update it with some key components. The thing about Guhle I don't like is that the offense doesn't seem to translate well, he'll purely be a defensive defender, ATM. I would prefer a guy like Schneider who has all those capabilities Guhle has, but also offensively flare. Would pick others before him, but I wouldn't be upset if he was their second pick.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
That’s a great haul for real, although I think Ovchinnikov will never leave Russia and is a bit overrated anyway for round 2 and 3. If they want pure skill from the MHL there are a bunch of others from better programs.

Who would you suggest in that case? I've seen a lot of video on him and Anton Kosopalov. Both look like good options!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad