Prospect Info: 2020 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
And If Anton Lundell really drops ~16 spot that is steal. My of my favourite players since 2017-2018 wjc.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
If we're talking potential draftsteals, I might aswell post my list that consists of only OHL-players as that is the league where it's it's easiest to obtain information from. Not saying these are the best players, just saying these are interesting players that might be drafted later then they actually should skillwise.

ps. I'm not claiming to be really good at identifying talent btw, a lot of the info is a compilation from other scoutingreports that I found interesting. Based on the reports I tried to watch what I could of these players and these are the players that are left that made the list.

Ryan O'Rourke - Soo Greyhounds, leftdefenceman
role: two-way defenceman
upside: great character, teamplayer, leader, skating
downside: stickhandling
average ranking: late 1st round, early 2nd round

Tyson Foerster - Barrie Colts, center/winger
role: pure sniper
upside: great shot, good defensively
downside: average speed, explosiveness, might be more effective as a winger

Jaromir Pytlik - Soo Greyhounds, center/winger
role: playmaker
upside: very allround
downside: bad world juniors, production could be better

Tyler Tulio - Oshawa Generals, winger/center
upside: hockey IQ, shot
downside: size, probably has more chance to make it as a winger
average ranking: early-2nd round, mid-2nd round

Martin Chromiak - Kingston Frontenacs, left winger
upside: good hands, strong hockey IQ
downside: average skater, playing on a line with Shane Wright and Zayde Wisdom so stats could be inflated
average ranking: late 2nd round

Jack Thompson - Sudbury Wolves, rightdefenceman
role: offensive defenceman
upside: great skater, mobility
downside: turnover prone, decision making, very raw
average ranking: mid-2nd round, early 3rd round

Zayde Wisdom - Kingston Frontenacs, right winger
role: power forward
upside: good shot, strength, strong net presence
downside: inconsistent, need to work on his drive
average ranking: mid-2nd round, early 3rd round

Luke Evangelista - London Knights, right winger

upside: pure skill
downside: inconsistent, size
average ranking: late 2nd round, early-mid 3rd round

Evan Vierling - Barrie Colts, center

role: two-way forward
upside: great skater, defensive awareness
downside: could improve offensive game, held out while playing for the Flint Firebirds
average ranking: 3rd round
Vierling had some issues with the Firebirds and eventually held out demanding a trade. So there's your red flag and that will definatly make him drop in the draft although he clearly has 1st round talent. After his trade to the Barrie Colts he's been averaging over a point per game, while mostly been known as a defensive forward. He could be a steal if still available with our 3rd round pick. I'd even consider trading for a late 2nd round pick if he's still there

James Hardie - Mississauga Steelheads, Left Winger

role: pure sniper
upside: 1st round level finisher
downside: size, play away from the puck
average ranking: 5th-6th round
Hardie is a player who still needs a lot of work. Starting the season he was very inconsistent, like the entire Mississauga team. However, since being moved up to the first line (in November-ish) due to injuries he's been on a tear. Since then his production is on par with players ranked in the late 1st round, early 2nd round. He still needs to improve a lot to ever become an NHL-player, however His finishing is already on par with some of the best players this draft. He's the epitome of a 'boom/bust-prospect' Hardie is definatly going to be one of the best scorers in the CHL the next 2 years. I'd pick him with our 4th round pick, maybe even 3rd round pick depending on who is left

Riley Piercey - Flint Firebirds, left winger

role: power forward
upside: good skater, defensive awareness
downside: very raw, wasn't a differencemaker at the Colts
average ranking: undrafted
This is a guy Berube would LOVE. Defensive awareness, can play on the PK and has decent offensive skills. Heart and soul guy. Very raw though. Why was he unranked? He wasn't a good fit on the Barrie Colts and had limited production, however since being traded to Flint (along with Tyler Tucker for Evan Vierling) he's performed really well, mostly alongside Dallas' Ty Dellandrea. If the season would've continued and he kept his current production in regular season and the playoffs he would definatly been ranked, maybe even in the 3rd-4th round category. If he was still there, I'd definatly pick him with one of our 5th round picks

Last edited:

Blues0307

May 25, 2009
St. Louis
Glad you like the vids! :) newest one is on Kaiden Ghule - who could drop if teams value offense in this draft.

Is there a player ranked around #26-31 you'd like covered next?

These are great, keep'em coming. I'd love to see any vids you have of the kids ranked in that tier.

Kid's got a nice wrister.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
i'd love to see the Blues somehow nab Yaroslav Askarov; as my faith in the Blues being able to lock-up Binnington long-term is pretty low...especially if he takes them deep again in this year's playoffs. However to get the pick needed to draft him would mean that he's either fallen precipitously on the draft-boards or the Blues have paid handsomely to move up...and neither of those options are remotely likely.

I remember the '04 draft with Marek Schwarz though, so I don't ever see this franchise spending a high-pick on a goalie again; regardless of regime. The position is voodoo...and Binnington has proven that draft pedigree does not matter at all.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New hype reel for Quinton Byfield :) it's not in the #26-31 range but this one was my favourite to make so far

Hit the like or subscribe button if you guys enjoy!

More videos are on the way

Reactions: simon IC

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
New hype reel for Quinton Byfield :) it's not in the #26-31 range but this one was my favourite to make so far

Hit the like or subscribe button if you guys enjoy!

More videos are on the way

Dear Lord, 6'4", 214 lbs, and he's not even 18 yet. (Drool).

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Dear Lord, 6'4", 214 lbs, and he's not even 18 yet. (Drool).

When you're playing against 16-19 year olds and you're a lot bigger you will physically destroy every single single opponent you encounter. But what will happen in the AHL or NHL when you encounter players that are your size or even bigger? For a lot of scouts a big player also means 'less frame to fill and thus less room for improvement'. Sometimes it's better to draft a player who isn't as dominant but can physically improve more.

I'd still draft Byfield if we had a chance at nr. 2, no doubt about it, HOWEVER, I'm a bit reluctant about other BIG young players in the draft.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
When you're playing against 16-19 year olds and you're a lot bigger you will physically destroy every single single opponent you encounter. But what will happen in the AHL or NHL when you encounter players that are your size or even bigger? For a lot of scouts a big player also means 'less frame to fill and thus less room for improvement'. Sometimes it's better to draft a player who isn't as dominant but can physically improve more.

I'd still draft Byfield if we had a chance at nr. 2, no doubt about it, HOWEVER, I'm a bit reluctant about other BIG young players in the draft.
Oh, I agree, size is not everything. It should not even be the first criteria. Personally I go for hockey IQ and defensive awareness, and this applies to both forwards and defensemen. I prefer players who can think the game, who can both read, and anticipate a play. Speed is also a big factor for me. If I read that a prospect has to work on his skating, it is an instant red flag. (This is not insurmountable, however. David Backes is a great example of a player that needed to improve in that area, and he was successful). By and large, however, strong skaters are preferred. Having said all this, I think that in terms of defensemen in particular, I would prefer a prospect with some size. Our D prospects Perunovich and Reinke are both undersized, (Perunovich particularly so), so I wouldn't be thrilled with another small defenseman. This, of course, is subject to the BPA philosophy, to which I subscribe.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Jeesus christ those hands are slick, but his defensive game is meh. First I watch this guy is sick forward and than understood he's dmen. :D

Last edited:

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Another fresh hype reel for Marco Rossi - who had with the highest PPG of this draft class

Enjoy guys :) who should I cover next? Maybe Lapierre?

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Jeesus christ those hands are slick, but his defensive game is meh. First I watch this guy is sick forward and than understood he's dmen. :D

He's an interesting prospect. Good skater, very skilled, great offensive awareness. However, his defensive game seems to be very poor. I've read that he occasionally dumps the pucks just to avoid physical contact. You might get away with that in the Q, but not in the NHL. If he wants to be succesful in the NHL he needs to improve his defensive game. He is the epithome of a boom or bust prospect.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
He's an interesting prospect. Good skater, very skilled, great offensive awareness. However, his defensive game seems to be very poor. I've read that he occasionally dumps the pucks just to avoid physical contact. You might get away with that in the Q, but not in the NHL. If he wants to be succesful in the NHL he needs to improve his defensive game. He is the epithome of a boom or bust prospect.
That is not acceptable to me. Yes, I prefer "grittier" players, I admit my bias, but I do get that not every player has to be physical. Deliberately avoiding contact, however, is a different thing altogether. I want absolutely nothing to do with Poirier.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
That is not acceptable to me. Yes, I prefer "grittier" players, I admit my bias, but I do get that not every player has to be physical. Deliberately avoiding contact, however, is a different thing altogether. I want absolutely nothing to do with Poirier.

I wouldn't mind drafting him, just not in the first round. If, for some reason, we acquire a 2nd round pick in the 35+ range and he's still there.... sure, go ahead.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
I agree. I also agree with the grittier players statement. I mean that's what essentially won us our first Stanley Cup. We did it with gritty players who were tenacious on defense. That's the type of player Berube wants, and I say we should be drafting players who fit our system.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I would luv to see us draft Marat Khusnutdinov or Jake Neighbours at #31......Neighbours would be a great middle 6 fit for us down the road....tho obvi the high end elite talent is not there, but not many guys at pick #31 :) are super talented (or atleast translate it to the NHL level)

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Some guys I like that project to go late first would be: Bordeleau, Foerster, Savoie and Reichel at forward. Wallinder (could see the Blues loving him with his size and mobility, still young enough to iron out some of the rawness in his game not sure how far he'll slide), Poirier, and Helge Grans. I think Bordeleau or Grans would be my top two preferences.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Some guys I like that project to go late first would be: Bordeleau, Foerster, Savoie and Reichel at forward. Wallinder (could see the Blues loving him with his size and mobility, still young enough to iron out some of the rawness in his game not sure how far he'll slide), Poirier, and Helge Grans. I think Bordeleau or Grans would be my top two preferences.
I love Wallinder, but I don't see him sliding down enough to be available to us. Love Grans too, I would be okay with selecting him. Bordeleau is pretty small, but he still has time to grow. He wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't be upset about choosing him either. I am still in the under no circumstances camp concerning Poirier.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
We saw how important Barbs, Sunny and Blais were in the playoffs. I hope we look for more of these 2 way physical players after Rd 1. I want a team with tough mofo’s

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I've been playing around with a draftsimulator someone mentioned in the prospect forum: draftsim
I don't agree with the rankings and the value of the picks, but still fun to do.

Last try I've traded pick 30 and 129 for Ottawa's 33 and 49. And after that pick 92 and 123 for Anaheims 67.

Ended up drafting 4 players:
33: Ryan O'Rourke (LD)
49: Jake Neighbours (LW)
67: Tyler Tulio (C)
154: Alex Cotton (RD)

If the Blues would be able to get these players (especially the first 3), that would be insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad