Prospect Info: 2020 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'St. Louis Blues' started by MortiestOfMortys, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Beauterham Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I understand we potentially have a big problem with not having an AHL-affiliate locked down who we have a good understanding with for next season. However, I would like to think this is only a problem for the next season, so drafting (2020) from the CHL shouldn't be a problem as most of the draftees would require to play 1-2 more years in the CHL anyway. As soon as they're ready to jump up to our AHL-team I expect us to have this problem solved (we will, right?). It's only a problem is we draft someone outside of Canada/US that wants to go the Kostin-route or if we draft an overager that can go directly to the AHL.

It's mostly a problem for our current prospects. I'm worried about the potential signing of guys like Tyler Tucker and Scott Perunovich and seeing if guys like Alexandrov, Laferriere and Hofer will get the time, opportunities and development they deserve in the AHL next season.

2. MissouriMook Still just a Mook among men Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I don’t agree about avoiding North American junior kids because of the AHL situation. Any CHL players we draft this summer won’t be AHL eligible until the 22-23 season anyway. The affiliate issues should have nothing to do with our draft strategy.

BrokenFace and Bluesnatic27 like this.
  3. Bluesnatic27 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Anyone the Blues draft will, most likely, not be in the AHL next year, so I don't understand avoiding or preferring prospects based on the reasoning that the AHL situation needs to be sorted out first.

4. MortiestOfMortys Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Kicking names
  5. MortiestOfMortys Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Kicking names

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Ranksu and simon IC like this.
  6. Ranksu Crotch Academy ftw

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  7. MortiestOfMortys Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Kicking names
    We think the Vancouver Canucks may have a scouting problem(!!!!)

Old article, but the guy who wrote it went from a blogger to working for an NHL front office for the last 3 years.

When in doubt, don’t overthink it, and just take the guy with more points.

We obviously have the ability to improve on the methodology a bit (and extend age- and time- and league-relative score rates to other leagues than the CHL), but the simplicity of Jessop’s methodology is pretty instructive. If a potato can draft better than we do, it’s a problem.

8. jbron Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Business Owner
    Thought it might be time to start up the draft thread again. As hopefully soon we all can get back to some normalcy and that includes hockey.
    Like many, I always have looked at hockey players that could and will be drafted. I find it a good way to follow the NHL by learning about the potential prospects/ future players. For years, I researched and followed players that caught my eye and became my favorites. Those that stood out on the ice as being special etc. Over the last years though, I focus more on prospects specifically that better fit the Blues system based on draft history, coaching, and their scouting criteria as opposed to my viewed favorites. Here are three players that I think fit. Most predictions
    have these three in the later part of round 1.

Lukas Reichel. 6 foot 175 German Born LW. No question the Bokk selection influenced the interest. He had a good U20 campaign, mens elite.
    Effective but not flashy. Quick with a good shot and stick, he contributes with and without the puck. He needs to add strength.
    Positive is that he is a younger draft prospect 5-17-02

Mavrik Bourque. 5'11" 170, Center right shot. Canadian Born, QMJHL. Complete play maker, yet has a dangerous shot. Plays D, he is strong
    on the back check and a good 200 ft game player. Quick with good skating.

Brendon Brisson 5'11" 180, Center left shot. USA, Manhattan Beach CA. USHL, going to U Michigan. He is a point producer that again plays
    a two way game. Major hard worker on the ice with puck skill. Good on the power play. Gritty player.

Feel free to add more prospects etc, Would enjoy keeping the thread going.

stl76 and CoMoBlues like this.
  9. Ja Sports Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    New Tim Stutzle hype reel - enjoy guys :)

If there's another player you'd like covered let me know

The Note likes this.
  10. Celtic Note Living the dream

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Is this Don Cherry’s brother?

bluesXwinXtheXcup and simon IC like this.
  11. simon IC HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Stutzle looks like a stud, but I don't think we will draft anywhere close to when he is available.

12. Brockon Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I've seen Stutzle going anywhere from 3-10 in a variety of draft rankings.

There's little chance Stutzle remains available for a playoff team to draft in the back half of the 1st.

I'd see Askarov (top rated G) being more possible, I've seen him ranked from 5-15.

Realistically, we're looking for a faller among Amirov, Mercer or Quinn for forwards or Wallinder, Guhle or Niëmela for blue liners (project as 15-24).

This is based on the assumption that we're picking 30th, based on current standings - due to the rumours circulating that the NHL is trying to conduct the draft in June, prior to the 2019-20 season wrapping up (I don't agree with it, but I understand that they're trying to stay relevant and drum up TV time).

simon IC likes this.
  13. Beauterham Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Ow, I LOVE us to draft Jack Quinn. If, for some reason, he's still there at 15 I'd definatly try to trade up. Best goalscorer in the OHL and possibly in the entire 2020 draft. I'ts extremely unlikely we do though.

Talking about potential draftsteals: Add Hendrix Lapierre to the list. Top 10 prospect talentwise but has been sidelined due to 3 concussions that could make him drop all the way to us. Apparantly the doctors found out he only had 1 concussion and the other 2 were results from a problem with his neck vertebrae (same injury Crosby had) that might already be healed.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  14. The Note Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Stützle would be incredible but they’d probably have to reverse the draft order for the Blues to have a chance at him.

15. Brockon Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I don't expect Stutzle to be available after pick 6 honestly. I mean I doubt any of the guys I previously suggested are available to us in the draft either, short of a massive fall on draft day (which I don't expect, given the lack of playoffs in the CHL to influence April draft rankings).

I know in my fantasy pool I've approached the guy with picks 3-5 about acquiring pick 4 - he said he's taking Stutzle, Askarov and Drysdale, no chance of acquiring his picks. Whereas I don't think my fantasy pool is an accurate predictor of draft slots, the guys involved all do a shit ton of prospect scouting report reading - meaning there's little chance they're off by more than 5 draft slots on guys.

I think the biggest move from NHL draft to fantasy draft in 5 years was Spencer Knight getting drafted 3rd up from his slot at 13th in the NHL draft - largely due to the added goalie category stats. Goaltending accounts for 40% of our scoring and acquiring a decent goalie costs an arm and a leg in this pool.

The Note likes this.
  16. Stupendous Yappi Drop the puck! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    One guy has picks 3-5? How did that happen?

17. Brockon Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    2020 #5 for Landeskog, Bemstrom and 2020 6th rounder.

Panarin for 2020 #4 and Ryan Graves.

He originally held pick #3. He's sold off a number of pieces to retool.

It should be noted this is a dynasty league with a 8 round annual entry draft, 25 man scoring roster, 40 man farm team, 3 years of juniors (entry draft selections able to develop without taking a roster spot - then needing to be signed or released) and a salary cap. So each team holds up to 89 players' rights at any given time (occasionally more, if multiple draft picks are acquired granting more players in the junior ranks).

Cap casualty trades are a frequent occurrence, where guys like Arvidsson's 4.25M over 4 more years or Tuch's 4.75M over 6 more years have drastically inflated worth because of their contracts. I sold high on Gustafsson last year after his 60 point season and his 1.4M salary this year acquiring Ullmark after adding a few depth dmen. Contract status carries a shit ton of value, which is why Draisaitl, MacKinnon and Pastrnak would never move in this pool even if they regressed into the 80-90 point range, that contract is gold for his production relative to Kucherov, McDavid, Panarin and most other prolific scorers. Add in the age being under 25? You could demand the moon and still have a few customers in the relatively small pool of 10 teams.

Stupendous Yappi likes this.
  18. Ja Sports Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    New hype reel on Seth Jarvis :) very underrated player (with one of the best names in the draft)

Let me know which other players you're interested in that could be available

19. Ja Sports Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    New Jack Quinn reel :) purest goal scorer in the draft IMO

Let me know what you guys think

20. simon IC HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Thanks for your input, Ja Sports, but I don't think the Blues have a chance at either player. We will be drafting anywhere from #26-31. Good reports though!

21. Ja Sports Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Glad you like the vids! :) newest one is on Kaiden Ghule - who could drop if teams value offense in this draft.

Is there a player ranked around #26-31 you'd like covered next?

Blues0307 and simon IC like this.
  22. Beauterham Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    If we're taking a D. at that spot, and he's still available, I'd prefer to take Ryan O'Rourke from the Soo over Guhle. Two-way defenseman, good skating, teamplayer, leader... and most importantly he has the mentality to become a good NHL-defender. I have him on my list of potential draft steals. If his stickhandling was better he'd definatly be a consensus top 10-pick.

Some other potential steals at the end of the 1 round: Tyson Foerster, Jaromir Pytlik. Maybe even Tyler Tulio, although he would probably go early in the 2nd round.

stl76 and simon IC like this.
  23. simon IC HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I love Guhle! I am interested in Ryan O'Rourke, Jack Finlay and Tyler Kleven, if you have anything on them. I really appreciate your work!

24. Ranksu Crotch Academy ftw

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  25. Ranksu Crotch Academy ftw

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Btw there is one really black card from Finland and looks like he's on pronman's list too.

Joni Jurmo 6'4'' / 198 lbs - 194cm / 90kg. LHD

He's wearing #7 in these highlights.