Prospect Info: 2020 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I've been playing around with a draftsimulator someone mentioned in the prospect forum: draftsim
I don't agree with the rankings and the value of the picks, but still fun to do.

Last try I've traded pick 30 and 129 for Ottawa's 33 and 49. And after that pick 92 and 123 for Anaheims 67.

Ended up drafting 4 players:
33: Ryan O'Rourke (LD)
49: Jake Neighbours (LW)
67: Tyler Tulio (C)
154: Alex Cotton (RD)

If the Blues would be able to get these players (especially the first 3), that would be insane.
That cool! I would be okay with all of those picks. I love O'Rourke, and if he is available at 30-31 we have to get him. My only minor concern is that I'd much rather draft a RD, but we still never pass on O'Rourke.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I've been playing around with a draftsimulator someone mentioned in the prospect forum: draftsim
I don't agree with the rankings and the value of the picks, but still fun to do.

Last try I've traded pick 30 and 129 for Ottawa's 33 and 49. And after that pick 92 and 123 for Anaheims 67.

Ended up drafting 4 players:
33: Ryan O'Rourke (LD)
49: Jake Neighbours (LW)
67: Tyler Tulio (C)
154: Alex Cotton (RD)

If the Blues would be able to get these players (especially the first 3), that would be insane.
I tried it without making any trades. I ended up with :
  • Ryan O'Rourke (LD)
  • Jack Finley (C)
  • Ian Moore (RD)
  • Ben King (C)
  • Gunnarwolfe Fontaine (C)

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I tried it without making any trades. I ended up with :
  • Ryan O'Rourke (LD)
  • Jack Finley (C)
  • Ian Moore (RD)
  • Ben King (C)
  • Gunnarwolfe Fontaine (C)

Imagine having a player called Gunnarwolfe... and it's not some weird nickname for Carl Gunnarsson. What where his parents thinking. ;)

Intrigued by Ian Moore btw. Played High School hockey this season and racked up the points as a RHD. It's very hard to see if his game translates to the NCAA. Moore seems like an enormous boom or bust project. Which could be an excellent pick in the 4th.

Thought about drafting Finley myself too. Reason why I didn't is because he is already a very big guy. There's not much room to improve physically.

Last edited:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Imagine having a player called Gunnarwolfe... and it's not some weird nickname for Carl Gunnarsson. What where his parents thinking. ;)

Intrigued by Ian Moore btw. Played High School hockey this season and racked up the points as a RHD. It's very hard to see if his game translates to the NCAA. Moore seems like an enormous boom or bust project. Which could be an excellent pick in the 4th.

Thought about drafting Finley myself too. Reason why I didn't is because he is already a very big guy. There's not much room to improve physically.
The red flag on Finley is that he needs to improve his skating. I think that this is why he is ranked so low, possibly even into the 3rd round. He has soft hands and apparently good defensive awareness. I remember David Backes was criticized for his lack of skating ability, so if Finley can improve his skating he could be like Backes. I normally shy away from any prospect that needs to improve their skating, but I think Finley might be worth investing in. Moore intrigues me too, and I agree he is a boom/bust candidate that is very far away. With our current RD situation, I think that he is a good choice. Finally, yes Gunnarwolfe's name is part of the reason I like him. I admit it. :D

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
If we somehow snag Kaiden Guhle with our 1st I’d be ecstatic. Doubt he drops to us tho.

ignoring team needs I would be thrilled with Marat Khusnutdinov or Thomas Bordeleau with our hopeful pick #31. Bordeleau is a lot like Fabbri (prior to the acl’s) and khusnutdinov actually plays extremely similiar to Kuznetsov with that Russian high speed/ pace with elite hands/playmaking ability.

as of right now my personal top 5 D rankings so far:
1. Drysdale(prob 4th ov)
2. Sanderson (prob 6th-10th ov)
3. Guhle (prob 15th-23rd)
4. Niemela (prob 25-33rd)
5. Schneider/Andrae

I’ve seen o’rourke mentioned in this thread and I have not gotten to watch him yet, will put him at the top of my list.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
If we somehow snag Kaiden Guhle with our 1st I’d be ecstatic. Doubt he drops to us tho.

ignoring team needs I would be thrilled with Marat Khusnutdinov or Thomas Bordeleau with our hopeful pick #31.
Yes. We will be picking 31st. After knowing we pick 31st, I don’t really care who we pick.

Reactions: STLBLUES44

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I’ve seen o’rourke mentioned in this thread and I have not gotten to watch him yet, will put him at the top of my list.

Check him out, you will not be disappointed. There might be a few defenders with a higher ceiling, but he's one of the guys with the highest floors. His ceiling would be a complimentary nr.2 and his floor a second pairing defenseman.

I've seen some scouting reports comparing him to Duncan Keith. Not in playing style, but more that both of them where decent/good at everything but didn't have a skill in the elite category. That made Keith drop to 56 and that could make O'Rourke fall to 25+ overall.

I'm probably a lot higher on O'Rourke then most people, but I have him as the nr. 4 defenseman behind Drysdale, Sanderson and Schneider. Only reason I have Schneider ahead of him is because he is a rightie. But they're in the same group, along with Guhle.

If we select a defenseman in the 3rd, I'd love William Villeneuve or Jack Thompson.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Check him out, you will not be disappointed. There might be a few defenders with a higher ceiling, but he's one of the guys with the highest floors. His ceiling would be a complimentary nr.2 and his floor a second pairing defenseman.

I've seen some scouting reports comparing him to Duncan Keith. Not in playing style, but more that both of them where decent/good at everything but didn't have a skill in the elite category. That made Keith drop to 56 and that could make O'Rourke fall to 25+ overall.

I'm probably a lot higher on O'Rourke then most people, but I have him as the nr. 4 defenseman behind Drysdale, Sanderson and Schneider. Only reason I have Schneider ahead of him is because he is a rightie. But they're in the same group, along with Guhle.

If we select a defenseman in the 3rd, I'd love William Villeneuve or Jack Thompson.
I personally think Guhle is miles ahead of Schneider due to his ability to anticipate and read plays. I’m gonna check out O rourke on my flight Monday

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
If the Blues have the option of Guhle, Schneider, or O'Rourke, I'm going with O'Rourke.

He might be one of the most underrated prospects in the draft. His defense is good, but I think he has a higher offensive game than the other two, or any other defenseman in the bottom half of the draft not named Wallinder or Barron. And personally, I'm getting some serious Duncan Siemens vibes from Schneider, so I'd like to avoid him in the 1st round.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
It will be a really tough decision for me if it comes down to choosing between Schneider and O'Rourke. I would have to do with O'Rourke, because ... BPA. I like Schneider's skating and positioning, however. He is so steady in his own zone. Plus, he is a RHS.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Been reading through Pronmans rankings, as we tend to take guys he ranks highly (he was big on Thomas and Bill in recent years), so thought that would be an interesting baseline. Names that fit what I think we’d look for.

Mavrik Bourque- reads a lot like Thomas did in his draft year to me. Great passer with great sense of the game. Has a good shot but doesn’t use it enough, solid defensively. He feels like the ideal, but is unlikely to get to us.

Vasily Ponomarev. This pick screams Blues draft pick to me. When I think of Blues late 1st rounders, it’s generally a talented player who fell for some odd thing about his draft eligible year that raised extra questions, but the question is easy to solve with “bad luck.” He has a 65 in Hockey Sense (the thing I value in a prospect most), works hard, and seems like he should be a high level prospect... except he was less then a PPG player in the Q, which feels wrong. I take the chance that a flip switches if he is there for us, and don’t think twice.

Kaiden Guhle: Seems like a safe late 1st type of other things don’t break our way. High probability 2nd/3rd pair defender could make sense at the 30 range.

Blues0307

May 25, 2009
St. Louis
If Bordeleau fell to us, I'd love for him to be our pick. Kid has a good shot and some shiftiness. If he improves his speed, I think he'll be a stud.

Reactions: The Note

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
So I have a very stupid question. Is there a date set for the draft yet? What about free agency? I am assuming it will all occur after the playoffs, but...

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Hmmm ... I have been reading as many scouting reports on Bordeleau as I can get my hands on, plus a few videos. I have to say I am increasingly hesitant. He is small, which is not a big deal in and of itself, but I have read several reports that suggest his skating needs work. Now undersized by itself is no big deal, especially for a forward. But combining "undersized" and "skating needs work" is a no go for me. That particular combination is a huge red flag. I think I would pass on Bordeleau.

Last edited:
Reactions: MissouriMook

Blues0307

May 25, 2009
St. Louis
Hmmm ... I have been reading as many scouting reports on Bordeleau as I can get my hands on, plus a few videos. I have to say I am increasingly hesitant. He is smallish, which is not a big deal in and of itself, but I have read several reports that suggest his skating needs work. Now undersized by itself is no big deal, especially for a forward. But combining "undersized" and "skating needs work" is a no go for me. That particular combination is a huge red flag. I think I would pass on Bordeleau.

If he can't improve his skating, you're 100% right in your assessment. But he looks a little weak in his legs to me, which is a good thing, because I think that says he can still put on a lot of muscle in his lower body, which should iron out his skating. I see a kid who steps in as a 3rd liner in 2 or 3 years and eventually becomes a top 6 forward. He just sees the ice so well for me to pass on him if he's there at our pick.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Sam Colangelo has "Blues Pick" written all over him is he is still available, but I have some concerns about his compete level based on Pronman's write-up.

26. Sam Colangelo, RW, Chicago-USHL
Dec. 26, 2001 | 6-foot-2 | 205 pounds

Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 55
Hockey Sense: 60
Shot Grade: 60

Colangelo was one of the leading goal and point producers in the USHL despite the fact he didn’t get prime power play minutes for stretches of the season. He is a very talented player. Colangelo is 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, has great skill and is a high-end goal scorer. He can pick corners from bad angles and is a mid-distance shooting threat. He passes the puck very well, finding seams and setting up chances consistently. His skill level doesn’t pop often, but he has very good hands and can make plays through defenders. Colangelo’s knocks historically have been his skating and compete level. His compete level looked better this season, playing inside well and using his frame; although for a player with his toolkit at the USHL level there were nights I think he should have been doing more.

Ryan Hardy, GM of the Chicago Steel, on Colangelo: “He has size and a great shot. He has a physical edge. He can make plays.”

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Darn, he's moving up. Looks like we will have to set our sights on someone else. :(

He's no 9 out of all OHL-players, so overall I'd still expect him to go somewhere between 20 and 31. No way a guy like him falls to the 2nd round. If we really like him, we can still get him, although we might have to trade up a couple of spots, like we did with Bokk. Depending on where we draft ofcourse.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Bob McKenzie's Final Ranking: Lafreniere the surest thing in most uncertain draft year - TSN.ca

Bobby Mac's list is out for the aggregated draft rankings.

I could nitpick, but my overall impression is that the third round is more intriguing than the 2nd given how many good talents are being overlooked for their size and how many okay players are being overvalued for their "defense".
We must have a fundamental difference in philosophy. Defensive awareness is one of the first things I look for. In fact, it is second after "hockey IQ". Interestingly, Bobby Mac has all of Wallinder, Grans and O'Rourque within our reach. I am happy about that!

Last edited:

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
We must have a fundamental difference in philosophy. Defensive awareness is one of the first things I look for. In fact, it is second after "hockey IQ". Interestingly, Bobby Mac has all of Wallinder, Grans and O'Rourque within our reach. I am happy about that!
You could be right, or it could be a fundamental difference in how one defines areas as "defense" or "defensive awareness".

Because honestly, a lot of the players that are being highly valued because of their defensive ability just don't seem that good to me in their defense. Players like Braden Schneider or Kaiden Guhle, for example, are being credited heavily for their defensive play, yet I see nothing outstanding about it that makes me jump up and say, "yes, I want that guy at 17th and 14th! They are so good at looking more competent in their own zone against unstructured junior players with varying levels of ability that I can completely neglect their stunted offensive ability!" It's the reason I put "defense" in quotes. I don't think these guys provide much value to a team.

I also want to be clear that there are more players than just Schneider and Guhle that I'm complaining about. Those two are just popular names I chose that represent the category well.

Reactions: simon IC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->