2020 Draft - Pick #187 - Kienan Draper

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
We as a group have never watched 99.9% of players who end up going in the 7th round of an NHL draft, and yet some feel qualified to knock Draper's credentials because...? It's literally a dart throw, and one they are more familiar with than others. There should be no positive or negative assumptions to be made based on this.

Draper's success will be assessed by what they get out of the early rounds, the 7th round is going to be virtually inconsequential.

I, as a rational human being, can understand there were literally hundreds of other options and they settled on a guy with unremarkable scouting reports - but who was the son of the guy calling the shot.
I would have preferred Tag Bertuzzi, as a hockey player, and gone nepotism-lite instead of nepotism-deluxe and a guy with weak skating, low skill, etc.
Or Dmitri Rashevsky or Pavel Gogolev.
I had a couple guys who I think have a legit chance to be top 6/9 forwards.
I would have bet on skill.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Holy cow, does he look like his dad:

6486.jpg

He is a lot bigger physically than his dad. We will have to see how his skating evolves. But he is probably 6'2" 215ish when he plays pro hockey.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Just like the Tyler Bertuzzi pick..

Eh who knows, in the 7th round it's all gambles. Most 7th rounders fail regardless of who their parents are.

A 7th round pick vs. a 2nd round pick. Not a fair comparison. I rather have a Pashin then some kid that is known because of his dad.

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
A 7th round pick vs. a 4th round pick. Not a fair comparison. I rather have a Pashin then some kid that is known because of his dad.

Bertuzzi was drafted in the second round (58th overall).

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Yes, Red Wings pick and sign players only because of their bloodlines. Draper, Bertuzzi, Nemestnikov and wasn't it Regula a son of a former Red Wings employee. And let's not forget Mark Howe has been director of pro scouting for 25 years. Oh almost forgot Mantha, his grandfather Marcel played 15 years in Detroit. And his grand-uncle Andre played 2 seasons in Detroit.

Nepotism..., yeah right.:facepalm:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I, as a rational human being, can understand there were literally hundreds of other options and they settled on a guy with unremarkable scouting reports - but who was the son of the guy calling the shot.
I would have preferred Tag Bertuzzi, as a hockey player, and gone nepotism-lite instead of nepotism-deluxe and a guy with weak skating, low skill, etc.
Or Dmitri Rashevsky or Pavel Gogolev.
I had a couple guys who I think have a legit chance to be top 6/9 forwards.
I would have bet on skill.

It seems weird that you are prepared to go to bat for Rashevsky, Gogolev, or Bertuzzi, and yet none of them were drafted. Not only were Draper and the Wings not interested in using a 7th round pick on them, but 31 teams determined that they weren't worth a pick in the draft class.

Maybe everyone is wrong and they go on to be an undrafted success story, but at this point they aren't worth bringing up.

They drafted Draper, he has probably 5 years of runway between this year in Chilliwack, plus up to 4 years at Miami (OH). Maybe he becomes nothing, maybe he becomes something more. I don't know, and I won't pretend to know.

There is the smallest amount of risk associated this pick, and a potential failure will not register on the give-a-damn scale in the slightest.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I don't necessarily mind that we picked Kienan Draper but more the fact that our picks in the 4th, 5th and 6th rounds looked more like wasted, uneducated guesses when compared to the choices we made in the first two rounds.

Stange, Cotton, Aucoin, Bradley were low value choices for where they were picked, especially considering that there were a few high value picks still on the board.

Zion Nybeck and Oskar Magnusson have big Hudler energy. (BHE from this point forward)
William Villanueve is an offensive puck rusher, like Cotton, except not an overager.
Tullio was also great value in the 4th.

This draft feels like after Hakan was allowed to make the first 3 picks for Detroit, Draper put him on the shelf and said that he was going to draft HIS guys. It doesn't necessarily feel like he was making the best choices, and then throw in drafting his kid. Kienan would have been available at 203. He should have gone with the supremely skilled little guy in Magnusson or hell, Seider's running mate at the WJC in Max Glotzl (Undrafted!)

Reactions: Astyanax

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don't necessarily mind that we picked Kienan Draper but more the fact that our picks in the 4th, 5th and 6th rounds looked more like wasted, uneducated guesses when compared to the choices we made in the first two rounds.

Stange, Cotton, Aucoin, Bradley were low value choices for where they were picked, especially considering that there were a few high value picks still on the board.

Zion Nybeck and Oskar Magnusson have big Hudler energy. (BHE from this point forward)
William Villanueve is an offensive puck rusher, like Cotton, except not an overager.

This draft feels like after Hakan was allowed to make the first 3 picks for Detroit, Draper put him on the shelf and said that he was going to draft HIS guys. It doesn't necessarily feel like he was making the best choices, and then throw in drafting his kid. Kienan would have been available at 203. He should have gone with the supremely skilled little guy in Magnusson or hell, Seider's running mate at the WJC in Max Glotzl (Undrafted!)

We don't know that Nybeck, Magnusson, Villanueve, or any of these kids even made the Wings draft board.

The reason why kids fall is because teams set their list and if a player isn't on it, they aren't on it. Seeing Jan Mysak fall is irrelevant if he wasn't on our draft list. Getting excited that the Wings might have a chance at Tristen Robins instead of Cross Hanas is just increasing the likelihood of a let down because we could just flat out not have had him on the list.

As for the Stange and Cotton picks, there's actually a lot of potential value there. The upside is real, just gotta be patient and let them develop with time. They probably don't make it, but the potential is still real.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
He is playing in the BCHL this year.
And then Heading off to Miami of Ohio (NCAA)

Presumably 5 years of control and won’t take up a Young prospect spot in Grand Rapids.

It’s a complete flyer. But the 5 years matter.
Especially considering the amount of draft picks the Wings are stockpiling during rebuild.

even if a 7th round NA prospect plays well, chances are Wings would not sign him to a pro contract at 19 years old. Too many high picks recently that need the real estate in Grand Rapids.

Like it or not, Griffins arent rolling out a team with ten+ 19 and 20 yo players.

Probably why the other 7th rounder was in an similiar circumstance.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He is playing in the BCHL this year.
And then Heading off to Miami of Ohio (NCAA)

Presumably 5 years of control and won’t take up a Young prospect spot in Grand Rapids.

It’s a complete flyer. But the 5 years matter.
Especially considering the amount of draft picks the Wings are stockpiling during rebuild.

even if a 7th round NA prospect plays well, chances are Wings would not sign him to a pro contract at 19 years old. Too many high picks recently that need the real estate in Grand Rapids.

Like it or not, Griffins arent rolling out a team with ten+ 19 and 20 yo players.

Probably why the other 7th rounder was in an similiar circumstance.

It’s also in line with everything we did last year. Heavy dose of US/NCAA kids + Euro’s in rounds 2-7.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I honestly believe 99% of fans are fine with the pick, it’s just a handful that are upset with this.

People who complain about it are just seeking attention. These are the types of people that make ruckus just to be "heard" and for "attention seeking". Nothing more.

These complainers likely have low self esteem.

Let's be real.... Draper likely won't make the NHL. But then again, none of those 7th rounders are likely to make the NHL. For every Jonathan Ericsson there's 900 Jordan Knackstedt's.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
People who complain about it are just seeking attention. These are the types of people that make ruckus just to be "heard" and for "attention seeking". Nothing more.

These complainers likely have low self esteem.

Let's be real.... Draper likely won't make the NHL. But then again, none of those 7th rounders are likely to make the NHL. For every Jonathan Ericsson there's 900 Jordan Knackstedt's.

I wouldn't say that, I think thats a bit of an extreme take.

I do think that people get worked up about things that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things. Could it have been nepotism? Maybe. Could Draper know something about his son that other teams don't see? 100%. Worst case scenario, he doesn't make it just like every other 7th round pick wont make it with the exception of maybe 1 or 2. Best case scenario, he ends up being a 4th liner player for us.
I have zero issues with either of these options.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Yes, totally unimpressed with any of Draper's late round picks really. I assume that scout from Nashville had a hand in picking the Dmen, so I'm a little more comfortable with those.

Draper's kid had a teammate that scored twice as many points.... I can't see how anyone can justify using a pick based solely on last name. We would have been better off taking a random gamble on whatever goalie was ranked the highest.

I'm not surprised at all that Hakan got to pick the early rounds, if this continues I think we're gonna have an Euro centric team, with maybe some NA Dmen.

Reactions: Killerjas

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Yes, totally unimpressed with any of Draper's late round picks really. I assume that scout from Nashville had a hand in picking the Dmen, so I'm a little more comfortable with those.

Draper's kid had a teammate that scored twice as many points.... I can't see how anyone can justify using a pick based solely on last name. We would have been better off taking a random gamble on whatever goalie was ranked the highest.

I'm not surprised at all that Hakan got to pick the early rounds, if this continues I think we're gonna have an Euro centric team, with maybe some NA Dmen.

Just curious, did any of the other teams draft the kid with 2x the points?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Not to mention how comical it is to think that Hakan Andersson’s opinion trumps Draper’s (his boss) to the point that Hakan gets to run the early rounds without it having to be rubber stamped by Draper.

Like Draper is sitting around clamoring for a CHL option and Steve is telling him to sit this one out.

Reactions: Gniwder

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

I just don’t see how anyone gets this worked up about a 7th round pick.

Who cares if the teammate has double the points? Once you’re in the later rounds, teams generally look for one thing you do really well because by that time, literally every prospect has some kind of wart. So if Kienan Draper plays with more energy or truculence or has more speed or whatever... that’s a perfectly good reason to take him over Shooty McJones who can score points in junior but might not project to do so in the National League.

Kienan Draper is a legitimate young hockey player, right? If his name wasn’t Kienan Draper would you have had a problem with the Wings taking a player with his profile?

Reactions: RedMenace

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Not to mention how comical it is to think that Hakan Andersson’s opinion trumps Draper’s (his boss) to the point that Hakan gets to run the early rounds without it having to be rubber stamped by Draper.

Like Draper is sitting around clamoring for a CHL option and Steve is telling him to sit this one out.

Hakan Andersson is a very respected man. I don’t think Draper has any problem with deferring to a man’s decades of experience over his like five years.

And if you truly think that Draper hadn’t watched any of Lucas Raymond and was alright with the pick... I don’t know what to tell you.

I’m sure Draper would have loved taking Perfetti because they had such a good relationship with him... but if he really felt stifled, he wouldn’t be doing the picks and you’d hear something because Draper isn’t the type to be cowed, even by Stevie who he has loyalty to

Reactions: RedMenace

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Not that I can see. I searched the draft for his name. He was eligible.

Labrador City native ranked for NHL draft | SaltWire

Team stats:
St. Andrew's College at eliteprospects.com

Good vision but appears to telegraph his passes, you can see his head turn almost every play:

I just don’t see how anyone gets this worked up about a 7th round pick.

Who cares if the teammate has double the points? Once you’re in the later rounds, teams generally look for one thing you do really well because by that time, literally every prospect has some kind of wart. So if Kienan Draper plays with more energy or truculence or has more speed or whatever... that’s a perfectly good reason to take him over Shooty McJones who can score points in junior but might not project to do so in the National League.

Kienan Draper is a legitimate young hockey player, right? If his name wasn’t Kienan Draper would you have had a problem with the Wings taking a player with his profile?
Yes, actually I would. HS hockey player, no even draft ranked, selected instead of a player from the same HS that was ranked. You can't even find a highlight videos for Kienan. I doubt he has any speed, fast players usually dominate HS hockey.

I would have preferred to give the pick to Hakan. With the family connection he was going to wind up in the Wings camp anyways. This is pretty much like picking Taro Tsujimoto except with a 7th rounder instead of an 11th.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not that I can see. I searched the draft for his name. He was eligible.

Labrador City native ranked for NHL draft | SaltWire

Team stats:
St. Andrew's College at eliteprospects.com

Good vision but appears to telegraph his passes, you can see his head turn almost every play:

Yes, actually I would. HS hockey player, no even draft ranked, selected instead of a player from the same HS that was ranked. You can't even find a highlight videos for Kienan. I doubt he has any speed, fast players usually dominate HS hockey.

I would have preferred to give the pick to Hakan. With the family connection he was going to wind up in the Wings camp anyways. This is pretty much like picking Taro Tsujimoto except with a 7th rounder instead of an 11th.

Have you ever seen Draper play before?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad