2020 Draft - Pick #187 - Kienan Draper

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Honestly I'm a little surprised he's 6'1" given his old man's stature. I hope he has his old man's speed and work ethic.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I get this pick, but don't really agree with it. I know it would hard for a father to tell his kid no we aren't drafting you, but does Kienan get drafted by anyone else?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It’s the 7th round, does it really matter? At this point anyone drafted is just pure guessing. You just hope to get a late bloomer.

I get that, it is still unfortunate for the other 7th round hopefuls that lost out getting drafted. Don't know anything about him, but I am guessing he goes undrafted with being a son.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
I get this pick, but don't really agree with it. I know it would hard for a father to tell his kid no we aren't drafting you, but does Kienan get drafted by anyone else?

i mean(yes, I’m going by stats) he actually seems like a solid point producer. He’s playing in the BCHL this upcoming year.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I get that, it is still unfortunate for the other 7th round hopefuls that lost out getting drafted. Don't know anything about him, but I am guessing he goes undrafted with being a son.

He can't be any worse than landon ferraro. Best of all, taken in the 7th round instead of the 2nd.

I don't think it is nepotism, I truly believe Kienan is a real prospect.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Good for him. I can't get too worked up by this, and if some undrafted free agent uses this as motivation to make a roster then good for that guy. Kienan likely got his foot in the door because of family connections, but he's going to have to rely on his skill, IQ and work ethic to develop an NHL career. I wish him well!

Reactions: RedMenace

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Love this pick. We have redhead finally. Just remind everyone that we got his dad for 1$.
Seven round pick . Hope he makes it

Reactions: RedMenace

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Good for him. I can't get too worked up by this, and if some undrafted free agent uses this as motivation to make a roster then good for that guy. Kienan likely got his foot in the door because of family connections, but he's going to have to rely on his skill, IQ and work ethic to develop an NHL career. I wish him well!

That's the thing: He may have been gifted a chance, but by all accounts he's worked his ass off just to get to this point, and he's going to have to work even harder to advance.

It's not like he was just given a roster spot because his dad happens to be the Director of Amateur Scouting; he's put in the effort.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
It's a 7th rounder. If he ever develops into a player that plays literally 1 game in the NHL, then it's a great pick. If not, then...it was a 7th rounder.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think its cool. I remember how many of us were pissed when we took Bertuzzi "4 rounds too early" Occasionally scouts get it right and hopefully this is one of them. If it's not, no big deal.
A little different than being the guy to draft your own son.

Not to mention Bertuzzi is 100% proving that pick right.

I'm just not a fan of nepotism in general and I find it extremely hard to believe that he was the best possible player and he just happened to be there for the Wings. But, in the end, I don't care much.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
A little different than being the guy to draft your own son.

Not to mention Bertuzzi is 100% proving that pick right.

I'm just not a fan of nepotism in general and I find it extremely hard to believe that he was the best possible player and he just happened to be there for the Wings. But, in the end, I don't care much.

Honestly, the differences in players at that point of the draft are so slight that it is really, really hard to identify the best possible player. You have a pool of kids playing in a ton of different leagues all with a lot of warts on their games. These aren't exactly conviction picks. There are points in the draft where I bitch about opportunity cost, but the seventh round isn't one of them.

I have never seen Draper play so I can't really comment on where exactly he falls within that pool of available players.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->