2020 Draft - Pick #187 - Kienan Draper

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Holy cow, does he look like his dad:

6486.jpg

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Seems to be doing reasonably well (on paper) during the preseason with four goals and one assist in 3 Gps

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I think its cool. I remember how many of us were pissed when we took Bertuzzi "4 rounds too early" Occasionally scouts get it right and hopefully this is one of them. If it's not, no big deal.
It is cool, and bertuzzi was taken too early. Granted bert has paid off, but the fear was nill knew our game plan. To me its about maximizing value. Chelios' kids were never drafted but brought to camp every year.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He can't be any worse than landon ferraro. Best of all, taken in the 7th round instead of the 2nd.

I don't think it is nepotism, I truly believe Kienan is a real prospect.

He can be a lot worse than Landon Ferraro,
Scouting reports say the young Draper isn't a good skater. Has his old man's work ethic. But also lacks skill.
So my question is, why draft Draper instead of Mark Hillier, on Draper's team?
Hillier, also 18, went 52-60-112. Draper went 26-25-51.

It's not a good look to draft your own family.
And frankly, there were some pretty good talents still on the board, in my estimation.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Scouting reports say the young Draper isn't a good skater. Has his old man's work ethic. But also lacks skill.

And frankly, there were some pretty good talents still on the board, in my estimation.
I had to look it up.... 5 players better than him on his own team and Hillier is 6'1" 183.
I would assume Draper watched his own kid play, so he must not have been worth picking.... but that just means little Draper is completely worthless (as a pick, I'm sure he's a fine person).

Might as well give Hakan another shot at picking Jonathan Ericsson....

Reactions: Jon Cusack and MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I had to look it up.... 5 players better than him on his own team and Hillier is 6'1" 183.
I would assume Draper watched his own kid play, so he must not have been worth picking.... but that just means little Draper is completely worthless (as a pick, I'm sure he's a fine person).

Might as well give Hakan another shot at picking Jonathan Ericsson....

In the big picture, I don't care. But it's not the kind of thing that makes me trust Draper more at the draft table, that's for sure.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
not really a fan seems like really just burning a pick for a feel good story. I don't know that drafting your son as one of the heads of scouting when the rankings don't back it is good form but whatever its their pick so let's see what happens.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Lol. Our other 7th round pick was at least equally as underwhelming, if not worse, but has like 0 comments around it.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Even if it was 100% nepotism, if this kid has a shot, I truly couldn’t care less what we do with a 7th round pick. 99% of 7th rounders will end up being nothing.

Not suprised some are upset, it was the same reaction when we took Bertuzzi.

Reactions: RedMenace

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I dont like how we took Draper & Aucoin because of the bloodlines. There were a lot of good prospects available, like Pashin, Magnusson, Ekmark and Schingoethe.

If they really like Detroit and want to play for us, why don't you just not draft them and sign them as a UFA in a couple of years after seeing him develop a bit more?

Inb4 a couple of those dudes I listed well be NHL'ers while Draper & Aucoin won't make it.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Lol.

Cool story, bro.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Couldn't care less that they drafted Draper with a 7th rounder. It's a pretty common theme among sports teams imo. Tigers drafted Gibson's kid, Avila's kid, Leyland's kid. If the NHL draft were more rounds we'd have all kinds of offspring selected.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
But it's not the kind of thing that makes me trust Draper more at the draft table, that's for sure.

We as a group have never watched 99.9% of players who end up going in the 7th round of an NHL draft, and yet some feel qualified to knock Draper's credentials because...? It's literally a dart throw, and one they are more familiar with than others. There should be no positive or negative assumptions to be made based on this.

Draper's success will be assessed by what they get out of the early rounds, the 7th round is going to be virtually inconsequential.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Steve Yzerman is willing to cut Justin Abdelkaer, the Michigan lifer wearing a letter, because he is no longer good enough at hockey but you guys think he is willing to just throw away a draft pick on a player because of his last name?

Did you listen to his press conference at all after the draft? Clearly doesn't seem like it.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think the criticism is fair, any time there is this level of blatant nepotism it raises an eyebrow. If the kid has skill he's got time to put it together. Until he does it's on them to prove it was something more than nepotism. 7th round pick so whatever.

Reactions: Killerjas

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I think the criticism is fair, any time there is this level of blatant nepotism it raises an eyebrow. If the kid has skill he's got time to put it together. Until he does it's on them to prove it was something more than nepotism. 7th round pick so whatever.

I honestly believe 99% of fans are fine with the pick, it’s just a handful that are upset with this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad