Proposal: 2020 Draft Battle Plan

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Sorry, not new to ice hockey but not very knowledgeable on cap space and all that stuff since that is a concept we do not have here in Europe.

I saw this: Detroit Red Wings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Am I reading it correctly that we have 36 million to spend this summer on resigning UFA's and RFA's? With Mantha and Bertuzzi getting big boy contracts and the younger players that run out of their contract, let's say we have 20 million cap left.

Ijzerman should call up every play-off team looking to get some overpaid past-there-peak players for some sweet sweet 2nd round picks (maybe even another 1st round pick??)

This would be my draft battle plan. The 2nd round is stacked with some great players. Draft either Blomqvist or Commesso with a 2nd or 3rd round pick, look for players who might slip a bit (Pashin, Guschin, Ovchinnikov). With the 32nd round pick we might get Guschin, Mysak or Wiesblatt, all great wingers.

I dont want to see a package deal with 2 or 3 2nd round picks for a mid to late 1st round pick with how STACKED the 2nd round is.

Defenders galore with Grans, Andrae, Poirier, Cormier, Johannesson (needs to see a doctor because he has had a lot of injuries), all in our reach.

This is my plan, now enough playing Franchise Mode in NHL 20. Ijzerman, do a fellow Dutchie proud and get some prospects!

Last edited:
Reactions: hkydave04

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yep. No disagreement here...although I think there was another similar thread about weaponizing cap space.

Reactions: avssuc

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
That is the kind of strategy that is going to get us a core. I don't want to see our cap space eroded by 29 year old max cap UFA players that will only be a short term fix. That cap space could net us some great draft picks and should.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Ya’ll over value 2nd round picks, especially from contenders that will like be in the 50 range. The canes got a 1st to buyout Marleau and you guys are tripping over yourself to add some picks that have a less than 20% chance of having a meaningful career.

“Sweet sweet sweet 2nd round picks” lmao. I ain’t taking on any significant contracts for a 52nd pick

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Ya’ll over value 2nd round picks, especially from contenders that will like be in the 50 range. The canes got a 1st to buyout Marleau and you guys are tripping over yourself to add some picks that have a less than 20% chance of having a meaningful career.

“Sweet sweet sweet 2nd round picks” lmao. I ain’t taking on any significant contracts for a 52nd pick

Id take 2nd round picks and comparable players on cap dump contracts compared to what we would sign as UFAs... We are going to sign a a player 27 to 30 years old for 3 to 5 years as a stop gap and hope they work out. Or get a player with a few years left, potentially on a much better contract and gain additional assets, plus these players likely have less term on their contracts.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Id take 2nd round picks and comparable players on cap dump contracts compared to what we would sign as UFAs... We are going to sign a a player 27 to 30 years old for 3 to 5 years as a stop gap and hope they work out. Or get a player with a few years left, potentially on a much better contract and gain additional assets, plus these players likely have less term on their contracts.

Hey, I’m all for exploring trades with cap strapped teams but I feel like a late 2nd round pick is setting the bar far too low to be taking on other teams problems.

I look at the hurricanes as a team who has done an excellent job navigating this water. Picking up a 1st last year from the leafs and the teravainen trade were both excellent deals with cap strapped teams.

let’s aim a little higher than picks In 50 and 80 range for negative value assets.

cap space is a commodity so I’d rather conserve it than take on minor pieces along with someone else’s problem

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
K.J. : ''I dont want to see a package deal with 2 or 3 2nd round picks for a mid to late 1st round pick with how STACKED the 2nd round is.''
- my veiwpoints opposite . im hoping we move some 2nd rounders in order to move up and draft monster dman kaden guhle , i want a big physical defense . want my own end clean and rat free .

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
let’s aim a little higher than picks In 50 and 80 range for negative value assets.

Absolutely.

Most teams won't want to give up the 1st rounder, but they might have a prospect that they can't find room for or pay coming up, too. I'd explore those kinds of options.

We're in a good spot to take on picks or players. Lucky us, I guess? The perk of completely bottoming out, ha.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

There should be a significant pound of flesh to take on contracts.

Either a top 3 organizational prospect we like a lot or a 1st rounder. Other teams fans can say they aren't doing that... Great, but this is a three year situation, I am comfortable waiting for desperate to arrive, it is going to with a flat cap.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
There should be a significant pound of flesh to take on contracts.

Either a top 3 organizational prospect we like a lot or a 1st rounder. Other teams fans can say they aren't doing that... Great, but this is a three year situation, I am comfortable waiting for desperate to arrive, it is going to with a flat cap.

completely agree with everything you said but we especially can’t lose sight of the bolded. Making a move this offseason could hamstring us for the following off seasons. There is an opportunity cost for any move we make so we gotta be hunting for a big ticket here

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

Normally I’d agree about the second round picks, but we’ve had some good success there lately. This year we will get to add 4 of the top 60 draft eligible players to our organization. Nothing overvalued about that with our current state.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Sorry, not new to ice hockey but not very knowledgeable on cap space and all that stuff since that is a concept we do not have here in Europe.

I saw this: Detroit Red Wings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Am I reading it correctly that we have 36 million to spend this summer on resigning UFA's and RFA's? With Mantha and Bertuzzi getting big boy contracts and the younger players that run out of their contract, let's say we have 20 million cap left.

Ijzerman should call up every play-off team looking to get some overpaid past-there-peak players for some sweet sweet 2nd round picks (maybe even another 1st round pick??)

This would be my draft battle plan. The 2nd round is stacked with some great players. Draft either Blomqvist or Commesso with a 2nd or 3rd round pick, look for players who might slip a bit (Pashin, Guschin, Ovchinnikov). With the 32nd round pick we might get Guschin, Mysak or Wiesblatt, all great wingers.

I dont want to see a package deal with 2 or 3 2nd round picks for a mid to late 1st round pick with how STACKED the 2nd round is.

Defenders galore with Grans, Andrae, Poirier, Cormier, Johannesson (needs to see a doctor because he has had a lot of injuries), all in our reach.

This is my plan, now enough playing Franchise Mode in NHL 20. Ijzerman, do a fellow Dutchie proud and get some prospects!

I like the idea but not one of those players you listed other than Mysak and I doubt he’s there even with our 1st 2nd round pick. I like Ovichinnikov but he’s not projected until 3rd round so I doubt piling up on seconds will mean we get him slipping

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
If I'm the Wings I take a long look at Nashville's 11th overall pick. The Preds are in a very difficult position with their aging core and poorly constructed salary structure. It might be the best/only way to get Askarov. Turris + 11th OA+ is the basis for a trade IMO. The Preds need to shed salary and restructure.

Otherwise, I'm most interested in trying to get a 2022 1st out of Arizona, Toronto or the Islanders. All three teams are facing huge mountains when it comes to their short-term contract situation and they will need to shed salary. In particular, Arizona and the Islanders could easily be a lottery team that year, which would mean another shot at Wright, Lambert and Savoie. Though with how poorly run Toronto has been, maybe they too will be in lottery contention at that point too.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
theres no complete player at 4 , its basically undersized wingers and an undersized dman = trade back in attempt to reel in 2 second unit guys instead of one non complete 1st unit guy .

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands

Early 2nd round picks are great, there are always 1st round talent slipping to the 2nd round pick. I think you are being too negative, I rather have multiple chances to get players with a 20% chance of a meaning career than nothing at all...

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Hey, I’m all for exploring trades with cap strapped teams but I feel like a late 2nd round pick is setting the bar far too low to be taking on other teams problems.

I look at the hurricanes as a team who has done an excellent job navigating this water. Picking up a 1st last year from the leafs and the teravainen trade were both excellent deals with cap strapped teams.

cap space is a commodity so I’d rather conserve it than take on minor pieces along with someone else’s problem

Ofcourse I rather have 1st round picks then 2nd round pick, but being realistic, early to mid 2nd round picks are what we should aim for at the LEAST.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Early 2nd round picks are great, there are always 1st round talent slipping to the 2nd round pick. I think you are being too negative, I rather have multiple chances to get players with a 20% chance of a meaning career than nothing at all...
True, but most trading partners would be in the middle to end of the second round, not early on.

I'm cool with taking a bad contract for picks, but if it starts with a mid to late second rounder, they'll need to add a prospect or another pick to justify the headache.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
True, but most trading partners would be in the middle to end of the second round, not early on.

I'm cool with taking a bad contract for picks, but if it starts with a mid to late second rounder, they'll need to add a prospect or another pick to justify the headache.

Yeah, a lot of teams that will want to drop their cap in a hurry are going to be teams in a position to make some noise in the playoffs. Their 1st rounder will likely be in the neighborhood - value wise - of other team's second rounders.

Also, if we're looking for more 2nd rounders, I think the Wings stand a fair chance of grabbing those by trading their own players the next couple of years, eating salary as needed.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
if you get more 2nd round pix you bundle them up for one 1st round pick
Agreed. But every deal is a negotiation, so it certainly doesn't hurt to start by asking for more - especially if the other team needs to shed the salary by a certain deadline, which gives Detroit leverage.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
draft battle plan :
i dont care about little rat wingers . i want to build a big dominant defense that keeps our zone clean 24/7 . i also want bigger forwards that dominate territory , i dont want a team that can get pushed around anymore as im still prone to vomiting from all kennys soft rosters getting gnawed on by rats . ide be ecstatic to move the 4th and come out of this draft with a guhle and a holloway which deepens both the centers and the d with rugged big bodys . then draft for rat wingers in later rounds . early in draft look for the big body guys with coordination / athleticism with the plan being improving them to elite level thru development . where as you draft small bodys early theyll never have a chance to do what a big body can do no matter how talented . and theyre also more apt to be injured by opponant big bodys bouncing them around the rink . the wings old design based on talent worked when there was no cap because you could buy elite ufa talent to no end , that cant happen with a cap so you must re-design .

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
early in draft look for the big body guys with coordination / athleticism with the plan being improving them to elite level thru development.
Those are indeed early in the draft.
As in, the top 2-3 picks.
Any other players with that size and skill potential will have enormous question marks, or they'd be a top 2-3 pick.

Remember, it's not like Datsyuk or Zetterberg (or Yzerman, for that matter) were giants. Just highly talented players that had enough size to be able to use their skill set without getting crushed.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm praying that one of Perrault/Bourque/Brisson/Reichel/Gunler "falls" to us at 32. If not, I would be totally fine with Mysak or Bordeleau at 32. The only defenseman around that area that interests me really is Grans. Not really a fan of Poirer or Andrae.

Between 51-65 there are a bunch of guys I like, but again they are primarily forwards. I like Hirvonen, Ponomaryov, Niederbach, Heineman, Chromiak, Finley, Vierling, Tullio in that range. I would take a crack at Jurmo around that area as well if he's there. Would not mind using one of those picks on Nico Daws either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad