2020 Draft - 2nd Pick: Carter Savoie

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Love that we took this kid. Boom/bust for sure, but he will be so much fun to track over the next few years. Seems very cocky to me and badly needs to round out his game. IQ, skill, shot look awesome. Skating improved from last year too (I watched quite a few SPC games). These are the players you should be taking in later rounds. Has plenty of bite.

The broadcast team would not shut the f*** up about him though. It was annoying.

Other notes. I was very excited to watch Antti Tuomisto for DU. He’s been getting a lot of hype. Looked slow and lumbering, bad decisions all over... very unimpressed. The one player that kept grabbing my attention was McKade Webster. Skilled, quick, creative, slippery... very fun prospect... and of course he’s a Tampa 7th rounder... haha

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Love that we took this kid. Boom/bust for sure, but he will be so much fun to track over the next few years. Seems very cocky to me and badly needs to round out his game. IQ, skill, shot look awesome. Skating improved from last year too (I watched quite a few SPC games). These are the players you should be taking in later rounds. Has plenty of bite.

The broadcast team would not shut the f*** up about him though. It was annoying.

Other notes. I was very excited to watch Antti Tuomisto for DU. He’s been getting a lot of hype. Looked slow and lumbering, bad decisions all over... very unimpressed. The one player that kept grabbing my attention was McKade Webster. Skilled, quick, creative, slippery... very fun prospect... and of course he’s a Tampa 7th rounder... haha
I didn't like Tuomisto much either. I didn't know he was even hyped at all. He just looked like a run of the mill Dman. I questioned his decision making in the offensive zone. I liked Webster as well. Lots of speed, but small, and PKs very well. Only him and Savoie caught my eye

On Minnesota, I barely heard Cairns name but Roth kept catching my eye. Good player with lots of skill but his point totals don't look eye popping. Also, their Dman Kempny i believe?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

Outside of Savoie/Benning Webster definitely stood out the most to me as well.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Game today vs Western Michigan. Just tuned in as the 3rd period starts. Savoie recorded a primary assist on Guttman's PP goal in the 1st period.

Savoie was on a 2 on 1 with Guttman I think, he made the pass to Guttman (it was either an errant pass or Guttman couldn't convert). After the broken up play Michigan came right back and scored on a breakaway. The broadcasters were emphatically talking about how Savoie made an error in going for the pass, that instead he should have used his great shot.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

What a beautiful feed by Savoie in today’s game.

Kid is massively exceeding all expectations for a 4th rounder. His offensive hockey instincts are off the chart. The reverse angle of that pass shows how difficult of a pass it was.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

Kid is massively exceeding all expectations for a 4th rounder. His offensive hockey instincts are off the chart. The reverse angle of that pass shows how difficult of a pass it was.

I made a comparison between Savoie and Bouchard earlier. Like Bouchard, this kid seems to have exceptional offensive skill. Whether he makes the NHL or not is up to him in the sense that he has the talent, but he needs to put in the work to round out the other areas in his game.

Compare him to someone like McLeod for example, who has everything BUT that high-level offensive talent.

What stands out to me the most about Savoie is that Scott Wheeler's comment seems pretty accurate - "Some question his commitment off the puck, his shift-to-shift effort levels and his defensive game".

After watching a handful of his games, I don't feel that he is lacking defensively or has issues with his skating. Imo it's that his compete level & commitment away from the puck defensively is inconsistent.

Edit: Josh Bell's scouting report a little further down seems to support what I'm seeing.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

That was a poorly placed shot. /sarcasm.

Guy has so many tools to his game, he still has alot of work to do, but his start is exceptional and promising.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Would Hoffman be a fair NHL comparison for Savoie? I've yet to watch him play, aside from YouTube clips.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Off topic but...pronouncing his name, Savoie, like Lavoie has a nice ring to it.

Good for him and his start in the NC double A! I hope he turns out to be a massive steal.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'm starting to believe Carter Savoie is going to be a Jordan Eberle type of player at the NHL level. You can't deny his hands, offensive instincts or nose for the net. He always scores eventually. I'd like to see Savoie in the AHL next season.
This is actually a really good comparable imo. His mitts won’t be as silky but his shot is better.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is actually a really good comparable imo. His mitts won’t be as silky but his shot is better.

Yeah he doesn't seem to have the "puck on a string" ability that Eberle has, but his shot appears to be better from what I can see. Eberle's shot in the WHL (comparable competition to what Savoie is in now) was ridiculous as well, but his release was still "slowish", as it ended up being in the NHL as well. I watched a lot of games live in Regina when Eberle was on the Pats, and he beat goalies clean all... the... time in the WHL, but he still dusted the puck off before shooting quite often. Savoie doesn't do that and has a very quick release, its already a NHL-level release without question. Savoie is a little bigger than Eberle as well, so might be able to go to the dirty areas a bit more. The comp isn't a bad one actually, as far as recent Oilers goes.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The thing I've really noticed in the little bit I've watched him is his ability to always put himself in the right spot at the right time.

There's one clip of Crosby that I'll never forget, it's not any one of his highlight reel plays, it's so simple but it displays some of these guys ability to understand the game at such a high level.

Basically the play is heading into the attacking zone and he comes off the bench and instead of rushing to catch up and join the play he just takes a few strides off the bench and slowly sharks his way into the zone, a couple more half ass strides, completely unchecked by any defenders and boom the puck squirts out from below the goal line right on his stick and he fires it home. He looked like he was on the pond fooling around but in a perfectly timed sequence lasting about 10-15 seconds he got on the ice, took about 7-8 strides, never affected the play in anyway or engaged with any opponent, just knew exactly what was going to happen and went to the right place at the perfect time.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Off topic but...pronouncing his name, Savoie, like Lavoie has a nice ring to it.

Good for him and his start in the NC double A! I hope he turns out to be a massive steal.
His family pronounces the name heavily in English so it’s Savoy and doesn’t sound like how Lavoie would

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Imagine Savoie with a good C. I’ve been saying that to myself all game...
We have 3 of those! This kid could become an incredibly effective winger if he developes a more complete tool kit. I love the fact that he has a nasty edge to him. A player with a lethal shot with some bite would do this team wonders playing with someone like McDavid or Draisaitl.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I finally figured out who he reminds me of including draft number, the career paths, size, hands and finishing ability on top of the lack of high end skating.

Another Sherwood Park Crusader, Mike Comrie.
This was my initial reaction as well after watching his highlights from the first few games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad