2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | Selected to Team Canada at the WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I can understand that all players coming from abroad have to do the quarantine, no way around it, but I don't understand why the camp starts so early. We're still more than 5 weeks away from the tournament starting, all of the players are missing a ton of games.
Yes Holloway's development would be better served (much better?) by playing games under Granato focusing on his weaknesses especially practicing his passing in transition and creation and his puck handling. However there are some long term benefits to this tournament especially if they are successful--the positive feedback will last a long time. Playing with the best passers in his peer group and against them....learning and hopefully gaining confidence from achieving with them.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I'd give it about a 70% chance. From a purely offensive perspective, Holloway might not be among Canada's top-12 forwards, but his physicality, defensive ability, and faceoff prowess will give him an edge over his competition.

My main worry is that the 14-day quarantine period will prevent Holloway from being able to showcase his ability in camp. Although there's also a chance Team Canada already sees him as a lock.
Thats the first worry I had as well, that 14 day lockdown. Lets hope he gets a fair look

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
We're gonna need a WJC thread, but I'm positing this to get an idea of how they're setting practice lines. Holloway will be with Team White.

Krebs and Quinn on off wings. Top pairing of Byram and Drysdale.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Ugh.... penciled in as 4th line center?

That tweet seems to have been deleted, was it this one?

If so, I'd agree with DropTheGloves in that it doesn't mean much. They're probably just playing around at this stage and seeing who meshes with who.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
That tweet seems to have been deleted, was it this one?

If so, I'd agree with DropTheGloves in that it doesn't mean much. They're probably just playing around at this stage and seeing who meshes with who.

I doubt it. He's just not able to skate with them yet.

That is the tweet, AARM. I don't like the way you two are remaining calm about this.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Brutal hit on one of Holloway’s teammates tonight in the game against Michigan.

Hopefully he’s okay.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto

Hopefully he’s okay.

Looked brutal indeed.

I'm always (a bit) relieved when I see them moving their legs and body in pain on the ice. Shows that their movement apparatus is still working.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Hopefully he’s okay.

Similar to Manning grabbing McDavid... not really a penalty outside of holding or interference but probably the dirtiest play in the game.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Hopefully he’s okay.

Yeah cross-checking a guy from behind that close to the boards is always a dangerous play, but add the speed Pelton Byce was skating in at and that he hadn't even touched the puck before getting cross-checked so he's not even ready for contact. Don't do that again Brendan Brisson, it's a chicken shit move. Hopefully Pelton Byce is okay.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah cross-checking a guy from behind that close to the boards is always a dangerous play, but add the speed Pelton Byce was skating in at and that he hadn't even touched the puck before getting cross-checked so he's not even ready for contact. Don't do that again Brendan Brisson, it's a chicken shit move. Hopefully Pelton Byce is okay.

The guy apparently didn’t even get kicked out of the game.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
The guy apparently didn’t even get kicked out of the game.

Yeah I don't agree with that because you can see it's somewhat premeditated that Brisson's going to disrupt Pelton Byce as he looks over at Pelton Byce a couple times on approach before cross-checking him. To be fair to the refs that's not something they're likely to see without video replay.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Really liking the picks last couple of years. Real boom type players and it's looking like we might of hit on another. Only gripe seems to be that he's not toe dragging half the team to score goals. Good thing that's not a prerequisite to play top 6 minutes on this team; Leon, Connor and Nuge (under rated but has some of the dirties inside out moves) will do that for you.

Kid's got impressive speed and shot, he'll be a significant addition to our team with the way he forechecks and goes after the play. He's like a super charged Yamamoto, skill, speed and grit, a real competitor; a lot of times that's what's required to win games.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Really liking the picks last couple of years. Real boom type players and it's looking like we might of hit on another. Only gripe seems to be that he's not toe dragging half the team to score goals. Good thing that's not a prerequisite to play top 6 minutes on this team; Leon, Connor and Nuge (under rated but has some of the dirties inside out moves) will do that for you.

Kid's got impressive speed and shot, he'll be a significant addition to our team with the way he forechecks and goes after the play. He's like a super charged Yamamoto, skill, speed and grit, a real competitor; a lot of times that's what's required to win games.
If as you suggest ...top 6 minutes or McDavid's LW....
then most of the necessary tools are there however in watching the two games its obvious he has some growing to do.

His vision and puck handling are ok...but just okay...its definitely something that could use some focus.
His passing coming off the wall along with going to the slot or net should be practiced daily.
He has two years and him man strength to come yet but he needs 7 or 8 lbs of lean muscle to continue to play his game at the NHL level. Also here this maybe will help him stay on his feet a little better-- he loses an edge in the two games 4 or 6 times ....

I was somewhat pessimistic right after the pick....but the more I learn about this kid the more I believe ....his potential is quite high. Watching his shifts from the two games ....he is almost like a cross between Paddy Maroon and Chris Tierney, both being players we could have used.

If he continues to play centre and we get him to play 3C he will be a scoring one and will need a good playmaker ....
Maybe he saves Benson's career.

a third potential line of

Benson....Holloway.....Puljujarvi

Fantasy i realize but fun to surmise....Holloway is a couple years away at best and might not develop to his full potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: walktheboulavard

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
If as you suggest ...top 6 minutes or McDavid's LW....
then most of the necessary tools are there however in watching the two games its obvious he has some growing to do.

His vision and puck handling are ok...but just okay...its definitely something that could use some focus.
His passing coming off the wall along with going to the slot or net should be practiced daily.
He has two years and him man strength to come yet but he needs 7 or 8 lbs of lean muscle to continue to play his game at the NHL level. Also here this maybe will help him stay on his feet a little better-- he loses an edge in the two games 4 or 6 times ....

I was somewhat pessimistic right after the pick....but the more I learn about this kid the more I believe ....his potential is quite high. Watching his shifts from the two games ....he is almost like a cross between Paddy Maroon and Chris Tierney, both being players we could have used.

If he continues to play centre and we get him to play 3C he will be a scoring one and will need a good playmaker ....
Maybe he saves Benson's career.

a third potential line of

Benson....Holloway.....Puljujarvi

Fantasy i realize but fun to surmise....Holloway is a couple years away at best and might not develop to his full potential.

Interesting line but I like your thinking
One would think that Benson's time clock is a clicking. If not on big team by the 21-22 season, he is a wasted pick

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I agree with you here. He will probably not get a fair shake not skating with the main group when his quarentine is up. If he only gets a couple full practices and gets cut it is a massive waste imo and the time would have been much better spent with his actual team. Hockey Canada is fickle enough as it is let alone starting this far behind the eight ball so I don't have much faith that he will make it. Maybe I will be proven wrong which would be nice.
At this point I'd almost rather Holloway just stay at college instead of this Hockey Canada camp. He imo probably won't get a ton of playing time. Better for his development to actually get good time in

Ser Pudman

Nov 25, 2013

I like the Yamamoto comparison. I see him as a bigger, stronger, and faster version of Yams, but with lesser puck handling.

Reactions: walktheboulavard
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad